Originally Posted By: Eastland
Any stocking advice would be appreciated.

Russell, if I had a brand spankin’ new 1 acre pond, my goal to raise “trophy” size CNBG and continuous annual 3 – 5 lb HSB fishing, this would be my initial plan.

100, 8’+ adult Hybrid Striped Bass @ ~ $3.50 ….~$350.00
(1000 1-2” HSB @ ~ $025 ….~$250.00 + shipping)

50, 6”+ male pure Florida CNBG (if available) @ ~$3.50+…. ~$175.00+

25, 4-6” RES broodstock @ ~ $2.50 ….. $62.50

(This initial cost is less than my annual feed bill)
………………………………………………………………………………………………

GC and tilapia as needed to control aquatic vegetation and FA.
NO structure in pond w/ good aeration system and 1 Texas Hunter feeder

I would plan an annual “stocking ladder”.
All would be dependent upon maintaining “good” water quality.
…………………………………………………………………………………………..

IF my goal is to have feed rained F1 LMB bass, and it would not be, I would introduce them the 2nd or 3rd year, and introduce a “few” BC to control the LMB spawn. I would go to great lengths to insure no spawning structure.
You mentioned that you plan for future pond expansion, and only then would I stock LMB and provide “adequate” structure.
……………………………………………………………………………………………..

I am convinced the reason we were able to produce large numbers of 8 – 10”+ CNBG was because of LMB and CC predation, and leaning toward the “monster” CC as the major predator.

HSB mortality is more apparent due to non-reproductive species than with reproductive species. If it were my pond, which it isn’t, I would determine HSB annual stocking rate dependent upon planned harvest, with perhaps as much as WAG 20% mortality under the best of extreme Texas heat and drought conditions.

You will have some of the best sport fishing anyone could possibly imagine, catching numbers of 2-5lb HSB each trip to your pond, as long as you continue annual stocking.

IMO, a one-acre pond is a “fish kill” in waiting unless close attention is paid to water quality and biomass.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Post lots of pictures.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)