Did you ever wonder what Aluminum Sulphate (Alum) will do to help clear suspended clay in a pond? Maybe these photos will help!

I started the morning with 3-5 inches of secchi visability.

The first 2 pictures are older shots from spring of 2007. The next 2 pictures are from the morning I put in the Alum The next 6 pictures were taken about 1 hour apart beginning 6 hours after the Alum application was done. It took 3 hours to mix and apply the Alum from a small boat using a 40 gallon sprayer. 1200 pounds of Alum and 600 pounds of Hydrated Lime were mixed with pond water and surface sprayed onto approximately 20 acrefeet of water. NOTE: the pond in reality is 1.48 acres (see below).

The clarity differance is absolutely stunning!!! secchi reading after 24 hours.....................over 72 inches (I only had a 6 foot rope) I haven't been back to the pond in over a month since the Alum was applied. I hope after the last 8 inches of rain that it has remained clear and that a good bloom has begun.

Rainman hint from 3-11-09:
If not using a sprayer, but ARE using a boat(gas or trolling motor) Mixing the alum into a slurry in a 5 gallon bucket first before pouring into the propwash will work better. Be sure to add 50% of HYDRATED lime seperately to keep the PH from dropping much.

As you only have about 1.3 ace/ft of water, I'd suggest 100 pounds of alum and 50 pounds of hydrated lime. If it doesn't clear in 24 hours, add 50 more pounds of alum, Hy Lime could be optional on the second app.

Last edited by Rainman; 08/05/14 06:31 PM. Reason: modified Bill Cody's added hint