Originally Posted By: Rad
I had a Small heron recently, who was a plague, several times a day he visited and ate his way around the pond.
I have an air gun, but had failed to sight it in. I have an Aimpoint sight with the red dot. One day I saw the bird, grabbed the gun and cranked off a pellet, direct hit. The problem was the co2 was almost gone so the effect was to scare him off for a week, but no permanent damage. Upon his return I adjusted the sight with each shot slowly closing in on my prey, he would taunt me by fishing at the edge of the pond nearest me and would ignore my near misses.

Until today, ha, ha.

He was working the far end and hiding behnd the plants near the water, he would only show himself of a short period of time, milliseconds, then dash for cover. I followed his every movement, keeping the red dot on his head until he was clear then a slow squeeze of the trigger and clearly through the scope I could see the pellet strike the water 6" short of where he was standing. Worse was he didn't even flinch. I reloaded took careful aim and the shot hit an inch to the left of him at 70 yards. Concerned with my accuracy he flew to a tree 30 yards further out. I spotted him then turned to reload another pellet and lost sight of him. Oh, well I will pop a round through the tree and scare him out, I fired and couldn't see any leaves move, then took my eye from the scope and watched him fall from the tree.
Now, I don't know whether to feel bad or good.

Now that's funny!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.