Eastland,

We finally got around to stocking threadfins in our ponds.
I can only think of four issues with them:

1. If you are stocking them into an environment with an abundance of predators (especially a stunted bass pond), and they have already spawned-out prior to stocking, it's tough to establish them. They'll school up and then get anihilated.

2. They're not a cold water fish. IIRC, they'll live 4 out of 5 winters in the Arkansas/Oklahoma latitude. You and I shouldn't have that problem, but northern pondmeisters do.

3. It's been said that they're not a real hardy fish. Or, as one of Todd's guys said: "If you look at them wrong, they'll die." I don't know if/how this is factors into who will stock them and when.

4. As far as I can tell, not many hatcheries actually raise them. I know Todd (and I'm sure others) catch them in larger lakes in the spring when they're spawning near shore. That makes them tougher to get, I suppose.

That's just my amateur knowledge of them. I know that once established, they seem to really pack the weight on your predator fish.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."