We were able to electrofish the pond and the news wasn't good. Nothing but small bluegill, thousands and thousands of tadpoles, and a handful of fathead minnows. Not a single largemouth bass or anything else. We did see a large carp swimming 10 feet off shore. If the kill I posted above wasn't the last of the bass, there aint many left and they're on their way out.

Age and growth data on the bg won't be available for awhile, but we have the info we need to present the owner with a list of options. Basically the pond needs adequate DO levels throughout the year and an alteration in the fish population to achieve a desired fishery.

To that end, I need some help from you guys - the experts. If you wouldn't mind, check out my quick sketch of management options below and let me know:

A. Rough (very rough) price estimates for each approach.
B. If I'm missing anything.
C. What you would do. \:\)

Option #1: Install an aeration system. Stock 10 inch or larger largemouth bass to bring the bg population under control.

Option #2: Transplant aquatic vegetation to decrease algae blooms and the subsequent die-off and DO sags. Stock 10 inch or larger largemouth bass to bring the bg population under control.

Option #3: Chemical kill the pond (5 acre pond, average depth unknown, max depth 20 feet, 9-12 feet common). Install an aeration system. Stock free lmb and bg provided by game and parks.

Option #4: Chemical kill the pond. Transplant aquatics to decrease algae blooms. Stock free lmb and bg provided by game and parks.

Option #5: Drain the pond. Transplant aquatics. Stock free lmb and bg.

Option #6: Drain the pond. Install aeration. Stock free lmb and bg.

The Lab
A 5-acre Stunted BG Project