Eric, we have kept water temperature profiles all winter. The water here has peaked at a low of 45 degrees F, and has hovered from 53 to 55 most of the winter. Interestingly, when the water is 55, the fish are pretty active around the feeders. But, at 53, it's like they have lockjaw. They don't feed and when they bite an angler's offering, it's like they suck it in and don't move. 54 or 55 is the magic number...at those temps they are active. Under that, no business.
Gambusia, Richmond Mill Lake is near Laurel Hill, NC, in the south central region of the state. They have been a client of mine since 2005. I am helping them develop a 125 acre lake into a world class bass fishery. Their mission is to establish a client/customer relationship business with a world class fishery as a major attraction.
The bass were raised on Silver Cup feed. We followed the same thinking, along with some Purina feed. We plan to convert totally to Purina Aquamax Largemouth, with Aquamax for forage fish.
While I'm sure these fish eat forage fish, I have no doubt their primary source of food comes from the feeders. In a "normal" situation, where bass depend exclusively on forage fish, this time of year their weight increases, but it's because of egg production. "Normally," fish metabolize fat for energy in the winter as the females develop eggs. Here, the fish have continued to feed most of the winter, preserving their stores of fat, not metabolizing flesh or fat to develop eggs. They have more than they need to develop their eggs. The bottom line of this circumstance is the fish gain weight over the winter in similar fashion as warmer months. If they can feed in cool weather without having to divert energy to metabolism, they are able to keep the weight they gain. In cool water, bass metabolism is much slower, therefore they need less energy. But, if they can feed to satiation, as these fish can, they are able to retain more. When they retain more, their food conversion is much better.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...