Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Mark, here's the deal. It's called biomass.

You're talking about FH, GS, BC, HSB, HBG, BG, RES and YP in a 3/4 acre pond at full pool. Remember that the NORMAL BALANCED pond can carry about 100 pounds of predators per acre. Remember that almost everything in the water is a predator of everything that can fit in their mouth. You can somewhat push the envelope with aeration, feeders, and either a flowing well or guaranteed rain. However, in the end, Mama Nature pretty well levels the playing field.

I don't believe you will be happy with the results after a short time. Long term is a guarantee. It's not only the blues that I'm thinking about. Bill Cody has said that fish live in their own toilet. However, there is no way to safely flush the toilet/environment.

I've done what you are talking about several times. I've also looked at a bunch of impossible to manage ponds due to lack of forethought. The results have always been an environmental disaster because I just haven't found the on/off switch or EASY button.

Look at it as a pasture containing both rabbits and coyotes. How many of each species does it take to keep each in balance? Without enough coyotes, the rabbits will eat all of the grass and then starve out. Too many coyotes will over predate on the rabbits and then starve out. It's all about balance with you as the Manager of the environment.

I like the idea of trying blue cats, Nothing wrong with the idea as long as you understand the biomass. I think I might even add some HBG and some feeders along with aeration. Think it over.

Excellent post!

"It's all about balance with you as the Manager of the environment."

The Lab
A 5-acre Stunted BG Project