Originally Posted By: james holt
I was just wondering out loud what was possible and exploring what could be accomplished with a cage. I want to build a cage this year but am still considering what to raise in it. I would like to have at least one bait cage if nothing else full of small bluegill and golden shiners so I don't have to catch them out of the pond each week to go fishing.

...why you would want to raise large bass in a cage in a recreational pond?

Cecil I'm still trying to raise large bass in any kind of environment. If Meadowlark can raise large Pacu in his recreational hot tube what's wrong with big bass in a cage?

One last question. Where can I get the mesh for the cage?

Ah ha James! So you are thinking out of the box. I like that!

Shiners and small bluegill would not be a problem in a cage. As far as small bluegills make sure if they are not feed trained that they are at a good density to make them feed better. Bluegills feed better if there is more competition. Also grading your shiners or bluegill is very important.

You know I've had a few bass that were total welfare fat slobs that just hung around for the pellets. One was almost 6 lbs. but she was only 19 inches long! I don't believe she was that agressive at feeding time, she just inhaled pellet after pellet. It would have been interesting to put her in a cage and just keep feeding her like a penned pig to see how big she would get. At her relative weight she could have weighed 8 or more pounds by the time she reached 21 inches!

If you wanted to try something like that, do what I did in the article on caged bass in the recent issue, but keep about 10 of the largest ones in a 7 by 7 foot cage and monitor them. Make sure though they are all excactly the same size. If they don't seem to be getting along remove the most agressive fish or take thin them out.

Yeah Stoney Creek is where I get my mesh. Don't be afraid to ask for larger mesh then they have in the catalog. I just ordered a roll of 1 1/4 inch mesh from them that was not listed in the catalog.

Good luck!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/17/08 08:15 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.