Just cuz that's how my life goes, I want to throw this scenario out there to make sure I have considered all the contingencies.
-
We installed an 18" dia corrugated pipe for the principal spillway. It runs 120' feet underground; through the dam and back slope. It was installed 18 months ago. There are no critter guards on either end. We may very well see the pond level rise to the spillway this winter/spring.
-
What are the chances that some critter built themselves a nice little tube crib? Or, more importantly, what are the chances that a tube crib would jam and plug up the pipe during the first water flow? OK...and more important than that...if it does jam, how does one clear it out?
-
a couple of thoughts:
a) I do understand the mortal danger of working near the intake end of a functioning culvert, particularly a plugged culvert
b) we do have an emergency spillway that should handle the overflow without issue
c) the first 20' and the last 20' of the 18" spillway pipe is dual wall, smooth core. The 80' in between is single wall corrugated.