W.H.I.P. update....
My wildlife habitat improvements are a combination of 5 - 7 different areas (depending on how you hook 'em up). They are all fairly small by themselves, but in combo will meet the required $1000 min of cost share value under WHIP. The problem: a large portion of it will be in the pond construction site...and this won't be done until later this fall. My NRCS agent strongly recommends that I wait until all the dirt is moved and we have a very clear picture of the improvements required, particularly the specific amount. As Norm and Ed will likely attest, when you make the deal to plant the acreage, you have to plant the acreage.
And, if you come up short...you come up short. There is not enough work available to split it up and do 1/2 & 1/2 at $1000 per. So, he sent me back directly to the State biologist to see if they would take it over. I went directly to the bio. at the DNR. Yep, they will handle it piece-meal. He worked up a proposal for the parts that are ready now. I looked it over. It's kinda slight on the cost share and it is a 10 year commitment. I talked it over a little with my NRCS agent and his original wisdom has become my posture: I am gonna wait until next spring to do the entire package with the NRCS sponsered WHIP program. I feel it will be a better economical choice and only a 5 year commitment. As much as I want to get a full year of growth on the sections that are ready now, I gotta chill and do the right thing to yield the best ROI.
Note to Norm, Ed, or any other savvy wildlife development gurus: I have a 1.75 ac meadow that is enclosed on 3 sides with trees, the 4th is open to the many ac of farm field that surround our timber. I plan on planting a conifer shelterbelt to enclose this 4th side. Within the remaining meadow, we want to go with various native grasses and wildflowers (the DNR showed this as Forbs, right?) We are bird lovers; this is what I noted to the DNR when they responded with this blend. Any other ideas?