I remember this from one of my trout farming texts. Thought it was kind of interesting. Of course I'm not sure how effective it would be in really cold temps with no sun. And how practical it would be in your situation.

If I keep fish inside in the future as you are Bruce, I have thought about using black hose tht faces the sun behind insulated glass like a south facing greenhouse. If one could get the water warmer than you need it you wouldn't have to heat so much water. You could mix it into cooler well water while gravity aerating (dropping it) into a distribution tank before running it into you tanks -- to prevent gas bubble disease.

Truthfully it seems to me a small RAS system like the one you can build yourself in the book Small Scale Aquaculture would be the most practical if you could insulate you small room and the tanks. That way you would only have to heat 90 percent of your water one time.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/15/07 04:28 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.