Background and goals:
Got our new pond plugged in October. Currently have a decent amount of water (see pictures) and wonder how much I need before starting stocking. The estimated final size will be 2+ acres. We did get lime spread on pond bottom before closing valve. Some structure for fish was incorporated into the pond at the upper end next to the fishing dock we built. I intend to post more pictures later since I know how much I've enjoyed learning from other's posts.

A couple of small springs run into the pond so we're slooooowly filling even without rain. During the last couple weeks of November a couple of inches of rain raised the "puddle" level 2+ feet. The water level ranges from 1 foot at the upper end to 6 feet or so at the dam - there was an existing spring channel that is filling first. Full water level at the dam will be 18 feet.

Goal is to have a low management pond with fun fishing for family. We certainly plan to eat some of what we catch. Plans are for a typical bluegill and bass lake based on what I've read here and in books. No plans to fertilize. Based on my reading I'm thinking we'll stock 500 bluegill per acre (1000 total) as soon as possible and then 50 bass per acre (100 total) in June or so to let the bluegill get a head start.

So, when can we think about putting in fish? We don't normally have much ice in Central Alabama (60s and 70s this week) if that makes any difference.

Thanks for input on when and whether this plan makes sense.

Picture from dam showing how much water there is - water is approx 5 to 6 feet deep in the deepest part below drain standpipe.

Picture from the bank showing how much is left to fill.

Psalm 24:1-2