Bruce,

Along with hierachy behavior which Bill mentions, I know this doesn't sound very profound but could you be breeding for agressiveness along with the fast growth as they may go hand in hand? I'm telling you I've never seen bluegill as aggressive as the ones I got from you. No complaints whatsoever but it floored me!

This spring I will be grouping bluegills within one inch of each other in separate cages. I.e. 5 to 5.9 one cage. 6.0 to 6.9 another etc. Since they are aggressive this should keep growth more uniform.

On another note, after doing a lot of research on using three lines of rotating breeding stock every generation -- of which one will be yours -- it has occured to me I may have to manually mix eggs and milt in a petri dish, put that into an aquarium and then plant the fry into the the pond If am really serious about reducing inbreeding while selectively breeding. The reason being is in a pond setting the rotational line mating scheme obviously doesn't work as perfectly as it does on paper. Each male won't necessarily cross with the line it's supposed to.

This is one of my faults. When I do something I go gung ho and get really OCD about it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/10/07 12:30 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.