Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Glad you got a tractor. For those with advice on loosening the blade nuts, I have no problem removing these. My issue is with driving out the tapered keyed bolt after removing the nuts.

F
F
I'm in the market for a new tractor for my 20-30 acre property and am considering brands like Kubota, LS, Branson, and Mahindra. I currently own a Massey Ferguson which has been great, but I'm moving across the country and it's not feasible to bring it with me. I've heard mixed reviews on all these brands and would love to hear some firsthand experiences or opinions to help me decide. Anyone have thoughts on these brands or recommendations based on your own use?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've had a Kubota for 15+ years and it's been bullet proof.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
We have two LS tractors, a 3135 (35 hp) and an MT5-73 (73 hp), both with cabs and front end loaders. We use them for general farm chores and round baling hay, mostly. We are happy with them. (The older we get, the more we appreciate heat and A/C.)

What we are really happy with is our local LS tractor dealer. They provide great support, even showing up to fix equipment they didn't sell us if it breaks. I think having a dealer that wants to sell and support the size of equipment you are interested in is more important than what brand of machinery they handle. Previously, we ran all Ford/New Holland equipment. When we had a local NH dealer who wanted to sell us stuff and service it, that was great. After all the New Holland dealers in Ohio consolidated down to one, who wasn't interested in selling anything that cost under half a million dollars, we had to move on. "I might be able to get a mechanic to you in a couple of weeks" doesn't cut it when the hay is raked and ready to bale and there is rain in the forecast.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
2 members like this: gehajake, FishinRod
N
N
I've dabbled a bit with Kubota and Mahindra tractors in that horsepower range and found both brands to be reliable and up to the task for the kind of work you're describing. Kubota, in particular, impressed me with its ease of operation and comfort, which would be a big plus for those long days you mentioned, especially with a cab to keep you out of the weather. The hydrostatic transmission on these machines is a dream if you're looking to avoid the leg workout from a traditional clutch.

While I haven't personally used an LS or Branson, I've heard good things about their value for money, especially in the durability department. If cost is a significant factor, and you're leaning towards Kubota for its reputation and dealer support, you might want to look into how to get a cheap Kubota tractor. Sometimes dealers have great deals on used or even new models that have been sitting on the lot for a bit.

Last edited by Nina B Lil; 02/26/24 06:50 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a mid sized John Deere with front end loader and 4WD. The only problem I’ve had is the actuator arms on the FEL. Due to inactivity, they have dried and leaked. Had to take them off and go to dealer for new seals.

I was told to buy a tractor with a front end loader and that a FEL without 4wd is useless. I agree. I use the loader for a lot of things. Most recently putting a grandson in it to fill deer feeders.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I also have another tractor. It’s a vintage Ford 8N that I’ve had for a long time. When I first got it, I took it to a mechanic who totally overhauled the engine. Then a new set of rear tires and a dual axle trailer to haul it on. Then a lot of equipment. I and neighbors did some work with it planting wheat patches, building ditches, etc.

Then I got the hots for more power, a front end loader, and bought the JD. At first, I used both of them. Then, I didn’t use the Ford as much and now it has been about 15 years. I would have to drain oil and pour it through a bunch of times. Then check on the radiator, rear end, etc. I know there would be something electrical that has gone bad over time. I need my butt kicked.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
A
We bought a Kubota L3901 a few weeks ago. Couldn't keep spur gears in the front drive axle on the Massey Ferguson we had so poof it's gone.

The Kubota is very slightly used - had 120hrs on the clock when we brought it home. I've put about 15 hours on it so far and I'm finding that
it is a much better machine than the Massey. That one always felt underpowered in terms of both pulling ability and hydraulics. I did like the
shuttle shift transmission but not much else. The Kubota is a full hydrostat which I'm still getting used to but I think I will like it fine once the
muscle memory sets in.

I expect with the hydrostatic drive the Kubota would be a brilliant tiller tractor but I've already cut the driveshaft on my tiller to fit the Ford 860
so likely will never find out. I've got a back blade on the Kubota now which along with the front loader makes it super handy for driveway
grooming, landscape work, etc.

Dave's mention of ram seals drying out reminded me that I had to replace a hydraulic hose on the Kubota last week. Six year old machine
with only 120hrs on it so not really a surprise and not really a big deal either. It cost $65 for the new hose and a gallon of Super UDT.
I expect I'll have to replace most of those loader hoses over the next couple years.

Last edited by Augie; 02/28/24 03:46 PM. Reason: additional comments
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Augie, if you do driveway maintenance, look at a land plane.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
A
Land planes are great tools, but I've reached the age where I want one tractor for every implement that I use on a regular basis,
and right now I'm out of operational tractors that don't already have a job. I know, first world problems. lol

Lunker
Lunker
I wish I had a tractor for every implement and a place to park them indoors.

I should have stopped buying implements 20 years ago.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
B
Theo - have you had any issues with parts on Mahindra. We recently bought a L3092 (proximity of dealer and rep) to the farm. Got scared off of the Mahindra which is also fairly close but kept seeing reports of delays on parts if you need something to the tune of a month or two (perhaps during supply chain nonsense and covid?).

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
ooooh - you picked a good time to ask!

Our tractors are two LSs and a New Holland.

Our Mahindra is a Side-by-Side, an XTV 1000 which is a rebranded Intimidator made in Arkansas (now 5 years or so old). The steering broke about a month ago, with all the splines on the shaft that descends from the steering wheel into the (steering gear box) breaking off. Our dealer was unable to get the correct Mahindra/Intimidator part and has ordered an aftermarket replacement.

We hope it's fixed before hay season. shocked

-S. M. Stirling
B
B
I wonder what causes such problems with parts when things go wrong. Fingers crossed you get what you need before hay season starts!

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
If Mahindra made a Roxor with an Automatic transmission, my wife would buy one in an instant to take into the local village (where the parking spaces are too small for a pickup). It's a small drinking town with a college problem.

-S. M. Stirling
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?