Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...when in doubt, hit the archives, page 3 .
-
one for the hotdog lady!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
...when in doubt, hit the archives, page 3 .
-
one for the hotdog lady!

Thanks Brett - sometimes it's kinda hard to wade thru and find just what you are looking for but you do learn an awful lot on the journey though I must say. Guess my mission this morning, if I choose to undertake it, will be to find out if the big feed LMB chunks are now available and also how many fish I should have and how big in my pond. Not that I'm taking out anyone I have named... I hope I can keep at least ten of my 15 inch plus bass. I think that's about all I have that large - maybe not that many. And I only have ONE that's real big - well at least big to me! I don't really know how big she is but she's a lot longer than a cement block! She almost never comes up close though I see her almost ever day from a distance and I only have one decent photo of her. She does look right up at me though and check me out. She's also the only one that eats the commercial food without any tricks. If I throw anything else (like hot dogs)in her direction she runs off. Bet she won't ever be caught with a lure! I named her La Torpeda because she looks like a big ole torpedo out there shooting thru the water. She kinda makes my heart jump a bit - well not kinda - she DOES. Too bad I can't tame her. She's the Queen of the pond! This is La Torpeda - isn't she magnificent?

[img][/img]

You'll find me at the pond.
http://downatthebasspond.blogspot.com/
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Bill Webb
[quote=Bassponder][quote=Bill Webb]

How is Meanandlean doing? Has he forgiven you yet?

Bill, I thought you'd like this updated photo of Meanandlean I took today. I was just taking photos today but when I came in and hooked the stick thing up to the computer and saw this one I had to add the caption. I'd definitely say it qualifies as feeding... Those little bluegill don't look fooled at all do they?

[img][/img]

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
BP, the largemouth food is called 'Aquamax Largemouth'. It is aobut 18mm in size and my bass have taken to it pretty well. Although not as well as the Hybrid Striped Bass. They are beginning to destroy it. Just contact a local Purina dealer and he should be able to special order you some if he tries hard enough. Of course, the fish feeding will begin to slow soon, so you may want to wait til spring.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: NEDOC
BP, the largemouth food is called 'Aquamax Largemouth'. It is aobut 18mm in size and my bass have taken to it pretty well. Although not as well as the Hybrid Striped Bass. They are beginning to destroy it. Just contact a local Purina dealer and he should be able to special order you some if he tries hard enough. Of course, the fish feeding will begin to slow soon, so you may want to wait til spring.

Thanks. You are right of course and I'll wait until Spring to order. When should I quit feeding this winter - gosh I'm going to feel bad about that.

Is there anything I need to do to get ready for winter? Should I stock some more minnows or is it too late? Yesterday I saw a new batch of tiny baby fish around the edge of the pond and was wondering what they could be this late in the season?

I also caught two snapping turtles that I'm going to take and release this morning. This is the smaller one - isn't he too cute? Look how cute his little hands are. I didn't catch the turtles on purpose. I'm trying to catch something else and I hate it that they got on the lines but I may as well relocate them while I have them.

[img][/img]

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Bassponder
Yesterday I saw a new batch of tiny baby fish around the edge of the pond and was wondering what they could be this late in the season?

They might be BG. My nephew netted a couple about 3/4" long on Saturday.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
This is the smaller one - isn't he too cute?

Yes he is cute Cam. Your fingers are cute also, do you still have 10?

GW #99079 10/09/07 07:42 AM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Your fish will probably slow down and stop feeding as the water temp drops from 60 to 50 deg F. You should reduce the amount you are feeding when this happens and then stop at maybe 50 degrees. Stoppiong earlier is OK, too. Remember fish metabolism slows way down when it cools off (for LMB, a 50% drop for every 8 degree cooler), so they will need MUCH less to eat in the Winter.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
GW #99082 10/09/07 08:11 AM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: GW
This is the smaller one - isn't he too cute?

Yes he is cute Cam. Your fingers are cute also, do you still have 10?

My only concern was having my overdue manicure photo posted on the internet but, of course, I suppose it shouldn't be much of a worry with black pond scum, turtle poo, and stinky muck all over my hands...

I really should get down to the nail place today... I'll take a good photo of the larger one before I release him this morning. I ain't 'fraid of no snapping turtle! \:D I'm an old lady and I didn't get this old and mean being afraid of every little creature that crossed my path. They aren't so bad - they just try to bite because they are afraid. I think I'd try to bite to if I were in his place

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze
Yesterday I saw a new batch of tiny baby fish around the edge of the pond and was wondering what they could be this late in the season?

They might be BG. My nephew netted a couple about 3/4" long on Saturday.

I haven't seen my BG on the nests in some time so I was real surprised to see these. They must have been hiding!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Your fish will probably slow down and stop feeding as the water temp drops from 60 to 50 deg F. You should reduce the amount you are feeding when this happens and then stop at maybe 50 degrees. Stoppiong earlier is OK, too. Remember fish metabolism slows way down when it cools off (for LMB, a 50% drop for every 8 degree cooler), so they will need MUCH less to eat in the Winter.

Thanks Theo - so what do they eat in winter down in there? I won't be able to feed at all from Dec thru Mar which is why I was asking about maybe stocking fatheads. Is it too late?

Cam

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
BP - they really shouldn't need much to eat from Dec thru Mar. There metabolism is so slow that they will get by on very little natural food. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would be willing to bet the fish will quit feeding within the next month. Although my catfish seem to feed at any temp., which is not how it should be according to the text book.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Cam, the fish will tell you when they start slowing down on feeding requirements. They feed voraciously in warmer water, slow down in the Fall and quit during the winter. Listen real closely and back off on the hot dogs.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
GW #99101 10/09/07 09:45 AM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
does anyone have a sweeney fish feeder and feed the aquamax? What is the largest size that will go through it? 400,500,600?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
My only concern was having my overdue manicure photo posted on the internet but, of course, I suppose it shouldn't be much of a worry with black pond scum, turtle poo, and stinky muck all over my hands...

I really should get down to the nail place today...

Do I detect pink nail polish on one hand and coral on the other? That's one of the most commonly committed faux pas here at the forum.

P.S. For DD's benefit, faux pas is not what dogs have.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
[quote=Theo GallusDo I detect pink nail polish on one hand and coral on the other? That's one of the most commonly committed faux pas here at the forum.. P.S. For DD's benefit, faux pas is not what dogs have. [/quote][/quote]

Certainly NOT Theo! It MUST be a shadow! If I did my own nails there would be a 75% chance at some sort of wacky error but I do go the parlor.

The larger turtle I caught yesterday I had in a cooler on the edge of the woods intending to take him to the lake this morning. When I went to get him this morning he was GONE! Flew the coop! Climbed out! Adios! The great escape! He's probably made his way back to the pond by now. So I had only one to take down to the lake.

I had another one on a hook this morning and cut him off before I left but he's a keeper (Rocky). I've caught that turtle 3 times now and this will be the 3rd time to send him back. Maybe he wants to leave the pond... Now I've got him in the cooler on the porch and there he will stay until I can get the creature out of my pond. I don't want to catch that poor turtle again. Just how many hooks can he possibly pass? Anyone know how long it takes for them to dissplve or whatever they do? And why am I supposed to cut the line off 6 inches from his face and not flush? He looks pathetic with that line hanging out of his mouth like that. \:\(

Cam

Last edited by Bassponder; 10/09/07 06:00 PM.

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
And why am I supposed to cut the line off 6 inches from his face and not flush?

It probably has something to do with the afore mentioned fingers.

GW #99199 10/10/07 08:39 AM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
And why am I supposed to cut the line off 6 inches from his face and not flush?

It probably has something to do with the afore mentioned fingers.

Oh silly it does not They tell you to do that when a fish swallows the hook too. lol

Cam

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
"Maybe so" (as my Grandma always used to say), but I think I'll pay more attention to that 6" recommendation with a Snapping turtle than with a bluegill.

-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B

My turtle that I like, Rocky, I put in the kitchen last night because we have had a cold spell come thru. This morning I looked in the cooler and he has pooped a couple of weird "things" I thought maybe some of you would know a bit about anatomy. I am hoping these aren't innards... It certainly doesn't look like turtle poo or poo at all. I hope Rocky is OK. I might have to ditch the plans to catch the creature in the pond and pull in the baited lines and just throw him back. He hasn't eaten anything since I have taken him out. The line in his mouth has shortened considerably though and is now only about a couple inches hanging out of his mouth. Poor thing still has the hook digesting or whatever it does.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I sent the photo of what I thought were intestines to turtle experts and I'm pleased to report it is, indeed, turtle poo. Whew.

I can't catch the giant catfish using liver wrapped in pantyhose on lines thrown into the pond here and there evidently as I've been trying for days. I'll pull them all out today and put Rocky, with his new paint job, back into the pond. Hope the hook passes or dissolves or whatever. He hasn't eaten anything at all.

I don't know what I'll do about the huge catfish and I don't know how I could have ever missed him in there. He really must be hiding well from me. I want him out of there.

Lunker
Lunker
Have you tried using shrimp for bait?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Shorty
Have you tried using shrimp for bait?

No.

Please give me more info. What size hook? How deep? How big of a shrimp? Just regular shrimp from the grocery? I don't want to just throw it in and leave it anymore because I put Rocky (the turtle) back in the pond today and I'm not going to leave lines in over night. I can't take the chance I might catch that poor turtle again.

Thanks

Cam

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G

GW #99434 10/12/07 09:58 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zturtle.html

Turtle recipes... Now tell me the truth. Would you eat this rare Snapper Painteramous Turtle? I think not.

Besides, he left this morning:

Now what about the shrimp? Just the ones from the grocery to catch the catfish?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!