Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,969
Members18,502
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (Omaha, DrewSh, Sunil, Shorthose, Donatello, Rick O, canyoncreek, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,157 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95211 08/24/07 04:13 PM
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
I got a little to close today while mowing today i had to get my wife to pull me out with the golf cart.

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
L
Lunker
Lunker
L

FROM RODEO TO STANDIN AROUND WATCHIN THE FISH EAT
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
First, wicked, glad you're OK. Second, sad we don't have a funny story out of this. And third, that must be some golf cart to pull you out.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Yeah the cart has a few upgrades i put a 8 horse torque motor in it when i bought it and a 450 amp controller. Its got a 5 inch lift with 22 inch atv tires its not fast but it will pull just about anything. I always tell my wife i dont know what we would do without the golfcart.LOL

You can pay more but you cant buy better.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
wicked, I've done that so many times on my big tractor I've lost count over the years. Your zero turn mower looks pretty low to the ground and likely wouldn't tip over like the tractor has come close to doing.

However, I solved the problem this year by taking a old 3 blade 46" riding mower deck and mounting a 8 HP single cylinder electric start B&S motor on the deck with a small motorcycle battery and a 1 gallon gastank. The deck and motor hang off the rear of the tractor and is set 6" outside the rear tire so I can stay a foot or two away from the waters edge and the soft ground.
Using the 3 pt. hitch I can raise or lower the mower to the level I need and I use a hydraulic cylinder for a top link so I can also tilt the front of the mower deck up or down as needed as the edge of my pond sure isn't as flat and neat as yours.

If you're handy with a welder and have a scrap (junk) pile of old equipment it only took about 6-7 hours and a pound of rod.

The only expense was 2 new v-belts and a bearing for one of the blade spindles.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Dan:

Got any pitchers?

I normally use the Swisher trail mower around the pond, however, I believe it went "blooey" yesterday.

Gotta come up with something...new motor's ~$500...and wife really likes the pond banks mowed. Really sucks, as I loved this thing. Deciding whether to invest the cash to re-engine. Haven't torn her apart yet, but the piston only moves about 1/4", and ZERO compression.

Hoping that I broke the key on the flywheel (mowing LARGE button weeds and such) and the crank isn't really turning...that's hoping for a bit much, I'm afraid.

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Matt,

As a matter of fact, I do... but I don't. I took a few and they are still in the camera and it's out on loan right now. It should be back mid-week and I'll try to get them posted. Haven't had any luck posting pic's in the past so if they don't make it I'll be glad to e-mail them to you.

Dan

Dan
Lunker
Lunker
My wife got a chuckle out of that. looks just like something I would do!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
wicked,

Camera is back and the pictures are in Photobucket. Message next to the reply box here says HTML is disabled UBB code is enabled. No clue what UBB is or how to move pictures over to this thread.

Dan

Dan
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Dan:

Every time I've noticed, my html is disabled and my UBB is enabled. I don't know much about what it means either, except we're making ultimate bulletin board entries, not webpages.

If you've never posted photos before, try the archive thread on that here. Holler if you need help.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
wicked,

Mower deck..."Rough Draft"

Mounting bracket to attach mower to tractor.

Underside of mower deck getting paint.

Topside getting paint.

Mower mounted to tractor front view.

Mower deck rear view.

I would have prefered to have the mower off the right side of the tractor but didn't want the discharge to go in the pond so it ended up on the left. The pipe welded on the mounting bracket slips over the longer pipe welded on the mower. A 1/2" pin thru the longer pipe above the shorter one keeps it from slipping off and allows the mower to swing behind the tractor for travel thru the woods back to the pond. The silver pipe and chain to the mounting bracket were required due to the weight.

The gas tank had to be mounted higher than the carb as that motor was waaaaay before fuel pumps on small motors. (gravity still works). Hope the pictures and brief explaination were clear enough.

Theo: Thanks for the offer. I already had the linked posts printed out for a long time but just couldn't make the connection work. This may have created a monster...........

Dan

Last edited by DAN PATERSON; 08/30/07 11:01 AM. Reason: corrections

Dan
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Dan: Unbelieveable! Wish I had one!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
That's genius!

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I sit hunched over my compute in absolute awe. Wow!!!

Just do it...
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks Guys,

If you have a good parts/scrap pile (the one my bride calls junk)
and a little time you can come up with a ton of stuff. Most of our projects are planned as you go while building. I know they make a lot of the stuff we build from scratch but we tend to overbuild most stuff so it will last as long as I need it to

I'll get some pictures of the heavy duty sycle bar cutter I use on the cattails and really thick stuff. Made from a old tow behind cutter and changed to a 3 point unit. It was impossible to back up the tow behind with all the trees and obsticals around the pond and you couldn"t raise the cutter bar without going into the water and lifting it by hand. Only did that once!

It reaches out 7 feet and the cutter bar raises and lowers from the tractor seat via electric winch off one of the ATV's. The cutter bar will drop a little bit below horizontal so I can cut the cattails off several inches below the water line.

I hope it gave some of you ideas to use as pond maintance shouldn't be a major chore. Takes too much time away from fishing.

Dan

Dan
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep...count me in the Wow! way cool category. This is how Eli Whitney started.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
A fine example of "Hill-Billy" engineering, whether you are a Hill-Billy or not, no offense intended, mind you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
None taken, Not bad for a 50 year city boy only been in the "country" for 13 years. Besides, necessity is the mother of invention I've heard.

It all started with mounting a 5 foot lanscape rake on the end of a 20 foot bar to really reach out into the pond and pull cattails and weeds. Running out of room to park this stuff where it's out of the way and the wifes eyes.

Dan

Last edited by DAN PATERSON; 08/30/07 01:24 PM. Reason: corrections

Dan
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dan, I've not been able to convince my wife that I have no junk. I call it surplus building material.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dave,

I've not had much luck in that regard either. I think I'll try the surplus building material angle, see if that will fly. So far just keeping most of it out of sight works pretty well.

Dan

Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Theo Gallus - 04/26/24 07:16 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves