Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Before I add another painful but funny story to my already full collection, I thought I'd ask for any input the forum may have on eradication of a yellow jacket's nest adjacent to our pond.

I located the nest after getting nailed the last two times I've mowed and I counted 40 to 50 going in and out in the course of 3 to 4 minutes so I'd imagine it's a pretty large nest.

I have my coveralls,gloves, headgear and moonbeam ready for an evening assault on the colony but wondered if anyone could suggest a good product to use. I have an ACE and TSC nearby so if anyone can suggest something that's worked for them I'd be much appreciative.

Stay tuned this could get funny,

Chip

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Perhaps I can assist in outlining how to get rid of this nest by describing one way NOT to do so.

When I was a kid, we had a hornets nest in a conifer-pine type of ornamental tree that was just off a corner of our house. The tree was about twenty feet tall.

I can't recall who's idea it was, but we decided to burn them out. We located a long stick about 10' long, tied a rag to the end, and soaked it in gasoline.

You know how conifer type trees or bushes are green on the outside, but dead & brown on the inside?

Well, that tree lit up like the 4th of July. The house survived, but the tree did not. No hornets left either.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Sunil,
That's exactly the sort of experience I was trying to avoid.
When I went over to find the nest I took a can of premix for the chainsaw with me but thought better after watching them a few minutes.I can picture how your tree must have looked. Your last name isn't Griswold by chance?
Thanks,
Chip

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Had a yellow jacket nest inside a wall of my house a few years ago. A lady at a garden supply store said to take some Sevin powder and spread it where they enter the nest. They pick it up on their feet and then spread it around in their nest. It worked like a charm. In a few days they were all dead and never came back.

Last edited by Tom F; 08/28/07 06:54 PM.

You have the world at your fingertips
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks Tom,
I have Sevin dust,maybe I'll try that.
Chip

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Where is the nest? In the ground? In a pile of rocks? I get wasp nests every year in a rock wall. I know when they've returned since they always get ticked off when I mow around the wall. I can see then coming and going in between the rocks. Since I know where they are I just use a can of any brand of wasp/hornet spray. The kind that can shoot 20 feet. I empty about 1/3 of a can each time they build a nest. The chemical acts quick and they usually drop within 1 second of the spray hitting them. I don't even wait for evening. If you know where the yellow jacket's nest is I would just unload a can of the spray on them.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I have used both gas and wasp spray and both worked. After dark pour about a cup of gas down the hole (just dump it there). Also have sprayed part of a can of wasp spray on the hole. Both worked.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
The nest is in the ground. I waited till dark and belly crawled to within about 6 feet of the entrance and waited to see if any were moving around. When the coast was clear I flipped a pail with about a half pound of 5% Sevin dust over the top of the hole and left it covered up. I think I'll wait a day or so before mowing.
I was surprised I didn't get stung, thanks for the help folks.
Chip

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Chip,

[EDIT: You posted just before I posted -- but here is one more solution if your's doesn't work. As they say in the fine print, please remember, it can be dangerous.]

For over 25 years I've used a variation of EWEST's method.

As EWSET said -- please wait until after dark. They settle in around dusk, and aren't much of a danger at night.

Find the hole, and pour in about a half-cup of diesel fuel or kerosene. Wet a paper towel with the same oil, and place it at the top of the hole. Light another dry paper towel, or a piece of newspaper, and drop in on the hole. It will gently burn for 15-30 minutes. It will suck all the oxygen out of the hole.

I've never seen them come back within about 50 feet of a hole that has been burned out.

NOTE: Through very painful experience, I've learned to squat and look before I mow or weed whack. From early August, well into October, I look for any activity over the whole area I'm about to mow, weed whack, or brush hog. Sometimes I'm lucky and I find a nest before it finds me.

Good luck,
Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 08/28/07 08:21 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Demon WP from the Ag store seems to do a pretty good job and they don't come back for a couple of months. I use it around the outside of the house and the barn.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
KILL THE QUEEN! game over.
I dealt with the same problem, but they were in the wall of the house. I contacted a helpful guy that ran an exterminator business and he sold me a 4 oz (by wt) container of a product called Drione. It's like talcum powder. Lay a little at their entrance hole so they have to walk thru it. The inconsiderate little buzzers never wipe their feet. It is a timed release kill, so it takes a few minutes to kick their stinger. They head for the Queen to service her majesty. The rest is history.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks fellas,
I read about the Drione and some others but couldn't get any on short notice. I like anything involving pyro-hehe. If they come back I'll get the weed burner out and see how they like that;nothing says stay away like scorched earth.
Chip

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I guess I'm a little slow, but I don't quite understand what you mean by "kick their stinger".

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I assumed that to mean "set them off".

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
bee-ese for arse...as in muerto
(Sunil; if you please)

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
ahhhhhhh,
As in dead; d'accord
Chip

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you look closely at the bee's knees, they have more fuzz and hair on their legs than JHAP's prom suit. When they walk thru the powder, it sticks to them like whiff on Scarface's nose. These players are as good as whacked; finito. The Drione kills slow, though, so the ill-fated mules carry the goods to their bee-ho. The last dance is performed, and the bee rave climaxes with the ultimate buzz.
Please don't make me go into the bee coronor chapter. The autopsies are grueling.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Bee-ho; that almost made me blow beer out my nose.
Good description Brettski.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...oh yeah...one more thing
while under the hypnotic state between bogartin' the candy and giving up the stinger, they go absolutely berserk over the colors red and white.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I read that light colors were best to wear so I wore my white Elvis jumpsuit left over from Halloween a couple years ago.. complete with the red satin cape and silver patent leather belt.
Chip

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
We have been 'attacked' several times, always this time of year. When you find the 'swarm' after the attack, with binoculars usually, my husband will take a small limb and lay it so that it points towards their entrance. That helps us find it after it starts getting pretty dark. Always wait till just before dark. He has a funnel that he fuels his lawnmower with. He puts a cup or two of gasoline in the funnel while holding his finger over the bottom hole. He puts the funnel over the whole and moves his finger, letting it drain down the hole, then pours a small trail of gas from the whole 3 or 4 feet away. Then we just light a piece of paper towel and toss towards the 'lead line' of gas. It will burn slowly for 15-20 minutes. You never see them again! Just be careful, we are around 40 days without rain, so everything is really really dry. Only want to burn the bees!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good choice, Chip!
Don't forget the mask. They too will likely recognize that it's just a cheap knock-off from the Cats musical and will swarm it to help hide your embarrassment. Keep a paper plate handy and have some fun by gently arranging them on your face to create a bee-beard. It's a riot and many will think you look like Abe Lincoln.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
We've been blessed with about 7" of rain in the last week but just North and West of us there was quite a bit of flooding. I hope the Sevin works but I have used gasoline on them before.My Grandmother used to mix gas + Joy soap to make her version of napalm then pour it down the hole.

Brettski,
I was told by the salesman in Mexico where I got the mask that it was an authentic "Juventud Guerrera" original, it cost big bucks.
Chip

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ooops; my bad

-
-
-
-
seriously, the Drione works; quick and easy

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
no problemo Brettski,
I could let it go for say,,, 120 pesos. :-)
Chip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy