Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,078
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dave Davidson1, esshup, Knobber, Bobbss, Sunil, Boondoggle, azteca, Angler8689, Zep, Ibanez540r, JoshMI), 951 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
GW,

PTO hp, in my case. That's the only number that really counts to me.

I've never had the luxury of buying a new tractor so I'm not sure of that answer. I have three tractors of 23, 50, and 55 pto hp whose combined purchase price was less than one new tractor...and the 50 hp tractor has a back-hoe and front-end loader. Each one of the three tractors could be sold today for what I paid for each one of them. When you take the tax breaks into account, they are actually worth considerably more today than they were when I bought them....and I doubt that could be said about a new tractor.

By careful shopping around, watching the newspapers, etc. you can find some great buys in used tractors in my area...and as long as you stick to diesel and exercise a few common sense evaluation methods, there is relatively low risk in purchasing a used one,IMO.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by TOM G:
GW If you want a mower that stays in the shop get a cheaper zero turn.If you want to get on it and mow get a Scag.
Tom, we don't have any Scag outlets here. I recently ran across a Hustler, and couldn't believe how heavy-duty it was built. In fact, they look way over-built. The 1 I looked at had a 23hp Kawasaki engine, and a 52" cut. What's your experience with them, if any?

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
GW, tractors don't depreciate much, if any. My first one was a Ford 8N that was made in about 1950. It's still ticking. I paid about $2K and still have it. Several neighbors have borrowed it when their tractors had problems. It's as handy as the pocket on a shirt.

About 6 or 7 years ago, I bought a new 4 WD JD with about 40 HP and a front end loader. I found that all new tractors are now rated at motor instead of PTO. It's been a dream and will outlive me. It cost about $25K, is fairly low mileage and is worth about what I paid for it. Power steering is great and the old Ford doesn't have it. I've used it, with a box blade, to clean out a couple of old silted in stock tanks.

If you get something with a front end loader make sure it is 4wd. Actually, I can't imagine not having a loader. I use it for everything.

If I had it to do over again I would probably, like ML says, look for a good used one. Big tractors, at farm auctions, are less popular than smaller utility ones in my area. Common sense evaluation methods just might mean getting a good tractor guy to help you shop.

BTW, 4 wheelers depreciate about 40% when they leave the sales floor.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Thanks all, very helpful.

Lunker
Lunker
On another note, with the major brands (at least) of tractors, parts are usually available for years and years. This is certainly the case with JD, Ford/New Holland, and (to a slightly-more-difficult-to-obtain extent) Massey-Ferguson.

Front end loaders are simply wonderful, great for a whole horde of uses.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Since Theo mentioned parts, its probably worth- while to say a little about Gray market tractors. These are generally new tractors that are made for sale in a foreign country but are re-sold here....generally at very good prices. The problem with them can be parts availability, or lack thereof. Some guys swear by them, but others haven't fared so well. There is an entire segment devoted to Grey market tractors over on tractorbynet.com.

One way to recognize a gray is that they generally do not have safety equipment such as seat belts that are required in the USA. Also, any lettering is usually in the language that it was originally meant for sale. If one could assure parts availability, this might be a viable option to save some money.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I talked to a friend that did a lot of shopping around before he bought a new tractor. He told me that you get the most bang for the buck from Kubota.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
ML, when I was tractor shopping, I went to tractorbynet and asked some questions. Everybody told me that it didn't matter what brand you bought as long as it was green, blue, red or orange. There were a lot of concerns about European and Korean tractors regarding durability and parts. I found no enthusiasm concerning the "off brands".

Actually, everybody recommended that I base most of my decision on who the closest dealer was. Of course, I didn't and have to either fix it myself or haul it 50 miles.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
My implements: All are 6 ft.

disc(s), chisel, blade, box blade, seed slinger, mower, rear scoop that I rarely use.

TSC is pretty convenient but a lot of their stuff is pretty flimsy. Best place to buy is farm auctions.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
DD1,

Just to be clear, when I said grey market I wasn't referring to the color of the tractor...many orange Kubotas are sold as gray market and will have Japanese markings and no seat belts on them. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I could verify that the local Kubota dealer had parts, which most of them do because they are the same basic tractors that are sold here but without some of the features.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
ML, I was thinking more about Eastern European like Belarus, etc. I'm not sure about Yanmar. I didn't know that about Kubota. Are the Japanese marking ones sold by the Toyota dealerships? I wonder how the part numbers coincide. Essentially everybody told me JD, New Holland, Massy and/or Kubota would always have dealer support.

I talked to a guy that got a contract to mow Texas highway road sides. He bought 4 of the Belarus. They broke down and the dealership couldn't repair them or even get parts. Belarus sent a mechanic from Europe who also couldn't fix anything. Since I look for something to work with instead of work on, I try to stay with the 4 major brands. Bargains scare me.

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Before I bought my tractor I got all the information I needed from this forum:
http://tractorpoint.com

Believe it or not it's just as good as Pond Boss but all about tractors. Lots of discussion on that board about grey market tractors and everything else. Also the quality of people on that board is similar to here.

Gotta get back to fishin!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
DD1,

Here is an example of what I was talking about....I wasn't talking about off-brand names, but talking about a grey market version of name brands such as Kubota. Again, if I could verify parts, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/grey-market-tractors/100502-identify-used-kubota.html

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Heck Larry, that looks like a good deal to me.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Bobad,sorry it took so long to get back to you.I havent seen much about them because theyre new in this area but they tried to sign me up as a dealer a couple years ago and I looked one over.they were built fairly well BUT I wasnt impressed with their spindle assemblies.Thats what the blade bolts to that does all the work and breaks all the time.I asked Scagdistributer how manr spindle ass they sold last year...37.. and they cover 5 states.I sell that many MTDs in a month.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You might be surprized at the manufacturing location of engines and parts for most of the major brands of late model tractors.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've found that a tractor with combination adjustable fish cleaning station and large minnow bucket (for the really big ones) is invaluable.

ADJUSTABLE FISH CLEANING STATION

MINNOW BUCKET FOR THE REALLY BIG ONES

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Be careful cat, I think your tractor might tip forward.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
Since Theo mentioned parts, its probably worth-while to say a little about Gray market tractors.... There is an entire segment devoted to Grey market tractors over on tractorbynet.com.
I've owned and "restored" a number of gray market tractors in the last 10 years -- after I stopped a 30 year hobby of restoring American tractors older than me -- and I ain't so young anymore.

I bought and restored enough of these "grey" creatures to afford a really nice NEW tractor -- first ever for me.

There are some excellent buys out there, but you have to know what you are buying. Of all the gray market tractors, IMHO Yanmar has to be at the top of the list. Many of the Yanmars are great tractors, with really good U.S. parts support at very reasonable prices. However, there are some models that aren't supported at all.

Certain other brands, like some of the Hinomotos, are real good too. But, you must find models that directly cross to American versions of Allis-Chalmers and Massey-Ferguson. Even then, you must buy models that are reasonably supported by AGCO dealers. Many need seals and gaskets. Even with US support, these parts are very expensive. A year ago, I paid $20 for an 8-inch O-ring, $95 for a king-pin seal, and $19 for an ignition key to fit a Massey 1020 equivalent tractor.

There are a lot of publications -- domestic and foreign -- about how dangerous these gray market machines are. You must evaluate this for yourself. A 1970 U.S. tractor has about the same safety features as a 1985 Japanese gray market tractor.

Good luck,
Ken G.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I have a mit D2500II...the water pump froze which broke the shaft and went into the radiator..the repair shop couldnt find any parts and had to fabricate most of the them ($1400)...my point? if you get a grey, make sure you can still get parts...I also have a NH TT55 which has been great, but its only two years old.

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

H
heybud Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
I saw a cement mixer and a limb mulcher that attaches to the PTO. I want one of each.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Heybud,

Be very careful around that limb mulcher...you still owe me a lesson on BBQ that I intend to collect some day. ;\)

A
Lunker
Lunker
A

Wanted to post some pics of our newest addition to the "slave-ranch" (per my son davatsa).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's just amazing.

I'm literally seething with jealousy.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
ManoMan, the treads on the tires aren't even dirty. Congratulations, Al. What HP is it?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/30/24 09:40 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:35 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
New pond stocking
by Knobber - 04/30/24 09:26 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday