Last week, as you can imagine, was mostly spent preparing for the conference. Kathy and her team were at full throttle, full steam ahead. The program was set, the trade show/expo was ready...I felt peace.
But, I was also mentally prepared to deal with problems.
I must say, this was the most intense two and a half days I've spent in a long time. It was rewarding, refreshing and fascinating. It was family. That's the best description to me...family.
Here were my highlights, in chronological order...meeting Dr. Anderson, George Glazener and participating in the speaker's dinner on Thursday. Robert Chandler (Bill Dance's son-in-law) and his partner Paul Bishop gave an intriguing power point presentation about Bill Dance Signature Lakes. Dave Sefton pulled the toga off the coolest chain saw sculpture on the planet. A three dimensional Pond Boss...a gift to us. Fabulous.
On Friday, watching the moderators pull people together and communicate the Pond Boss message in their inimitable ways. Eric West, the ultimate southern gentleman, putting others first, doing front page things with last page recognition...by his choice. Bruce Condello, with his wide eyes, giant smile and eager heart, Dave Davidson, wearing his "good 'ol boy" persona on his sleeve while being a shepherd to those of us around him. Theo Gallus...geez, that guy is amazing, too. Did you guys know he actually has a "handle?" It's Steve Saunders...how did he pick that? Bill Cody, a real life hero, loaded with optimism, "can-do" and more knowledge than the law allows, a modern-day microbiological William Einstein.
Speakers were fantastic, everyone was prepared and stayed pretty much on time.
Friday was loaded with passion and awe. I can't tell you how many people came up to me and simply shook their heads. The energy and passion was rolling out of every pore of that convention center. Vendors were ecstatic. Vendors are never ecstatic. Every vendor was doing business and making valuable contacts.
Lunch was fun, too. We came up with the idea to buy a bunch of aprons, find lunch sponsors (BassPro, Solarbee, Sweeney and Otto's Dozer Service) and screen print their logos. Then, our team stuffed a sandwich, cookie and chips into the pocket. As people streamed back into the convention center for lunch, they were handed an apron. It was cool to see all those people with the khaki aprons, strolling through the trade show, grazing and talking and buying. It was a sight to see.
As the day flew by, I saw more networking and learning and hand shaking than at a political rally. Friends met each other for the first time. There were hugs, high fives, and stories beyond belief. The only thing missing was a campfire.
Pond Boss founder Mark McDonald came, thinking he was seeking story lines. He came away humbled...we recognized his efforts as the founding father of the magazine.
Dr. Dave Willis, exuding humbleness and dignity soaking to his core, helping, teaching, touching people in ways only a seasoned professor and care giver can offer. He is a true friend to all of us.
Ray Scott....this guy is amazing. He regaled us with tales of B.A.S.S. his attitudes, platitudes and altitudes kept us floating just beyond touch. He has lived a life we can't imagine, especially when we see he is one of us...a down to earth guy who passionately loves fish, fishing, ponds and lakes. He is a born leader...and he does it in a fun, entertaining way. He was with us, for us and he was, well, he was us.
Sunil is like glue that holds the parts...especially when he's working the crowd. He's the program chairman, the first to lighten up the group, and last to take credit. I love this guy.
Greg Grimes, Todd Overton, Trent Lewis, Shawn Banks...the younger guys doing all the right things. Mac McCune, Malcolm Johnson, Mike Mitchell, Johnny Foster...the calm, seasoned veterans of pond management battles, there for all of us, and as excited as I have ever seen any of them.
Dr. Michael Masser, the guy who founded BASS 101 in Texas, talking with retired NRCS biologist Gary Valentine...those two have seen it all, but are still scratching their heads at what happened over this special weekend.
Cecil Baird, a shy-looking man with tons of "out of the box" thinking...what amazed me was how many talks he attended. He was absorbing, like a fishy sponge.
I saw lots of familiar faces, and met lots of familiar Pond Boss fanatics. Fatty McB, Ahtava and his son...gosh, I should look at some of the posts and recall them all. Then, there are those I already know, Bing, fishinglth, rmedgar, Big Don...many, many more. I met people from all over the nation. I counted 28 different states represented. Amazing.
This morning, after breakfast, I kidnapped Condello, and hauled him to Lusk Lodge, Two for a tour and an afternoon of fishing our ponds. You can't wipe the smile off his face. We had a cookout and celebrated the weekend.
He flies back home in a few hours, and I head to North Carolina to work on Richmond Mill Lake. It will be a busy week.
We decided to drive back to DFW from Stately Lusk Lodge, Two and grab a room near the airport. I leave at 7:30, his flight is at 8. On the drive back, I found a cd with the last interview George Perry ever gave. It was a recording from his home town in Georgia, by Bassmaster Magazine's Terry Rees. Fascinating interview. It makes you wonder, it makes you think. No wonder the world record is still intact.
Now, here I sit, in a double bed in some hotel, ruminating over the last few days. Condello is in a coma...in the next bed south. By the way, he doesn't snore. But, he can fish. Boy, can he fish...
Waiting on a few photos to download...part of Condello's catches of the day...then I'm ready to catch a siesta, mine own self.
Pond Boss faithful, you came out in droves, finally met each other face to face and this conference exceeded any of our expectations. It was smooth, it was energetic and it was exciting. Businesses thrived, people networked, and I can't help but believe we are on to something big.
There is a movement afoot. I can't quite pin it down in my feeble mind, yet, but it's there, revealing itself one person and one step at a time. It's big...and I, for one, can't wait to see what "it" is.
Fish on!
Lusk

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...