Here's the story on the pond construction book. It has been in my mind for a long time, but actually began to take form six years ago. I wrote the outline, and began each chapter. As each chapter came along, I forwarded it to Mark McDonald, for editing. He would send each chapter back to me, and I would add, delete, change and mold it. Finally, four years ago, it got to a point where it needed three or four more read-throughs and another edit or two. But, I was sorely lacking for good photos. So, I spent 2002-2005 taking photos. Put them safely on a shelf in my house. All the while, my learning curve continued to be steep...I didn't know quite as much about pond construction as I thought. So, I added more to the book. Each chapter changed a bit. Then, in 2005, I was pretty much ready, but wanted to spend a few more days on it, to add more, to tweak, to adjust and get it exactly like I wanted it. But, alas, the consulting business steamrolled me. I was spending 5-15 days a month in New York, another 10 days on the road each month elsewhere, and I just couldn't steal the time to put four or five uninterrupted, calm, thoughtful days together. So, the book project sat still. I was aiming for Thanksgiving 2005, family time in a cabin in the mountains of New Mexico...a good time to put the finishing touches and get it done. Then, of all things, our home burned. Priorities shifted, immediately. And, all the photos I had taken for this book were on the third shelf of my closet. Photos, negatives, the whole banana was melted glob of goo...that was just the ones I found. So, I kicked it back in gear and took lots of photos. I happened to have some photos at the office. I went through every one of them and found a few good ones. Otto bought a camera several months ago and began shooting some good pics. I have been involved in several nice projects and got some there, too. Plus, several photos came from advertisers. As I thought about it, last fall, if I could stick a few days together, during bad weather, I might be able to get this thing done in time for the conference. So, I emailed Jim Stroud to see if he had time to lay it out. He said he could shift a few things around, contacted a quality printer, got some bids, and here we go. I kicked it in gear, re-read and tweaked each chapter five or six more times, edited, re-read, selected photos and got it all to Jim. He is almost finished laying it out...as a matter of fact, he told me he would have most of it to me later today. All I have to do is finish the glossary, write an acknowledgement page and a dedication page, and send it to the printer. The printer has promised to have it ready to ship by March 18. So, there you have it. Perfect Pond, Want One? It will be first available at the Pond Boss Conference. The first ones off the press go to the winners of the contest.
The princess wants to have a book signing at the conferences. Sounds just like her, doesn't it?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...