Just returned from nine days on the road. On Dec 13, flew into Charlotte, NC, drove to Orangeburg, SC to meet up with Greg Grimes and help on a project he has with a long time client. The objective was to take an existing 32 acre lake and make it into the best bass lake possible. My role was to evaluate existing habitat and make suggestions how to improve it. Then, drove to Laurinburg, NC to spend the next week at Richmond Mill Pond and the Morgan Company. Accomplished a number of tasks there. The biggest objective is to figure out a "foolproof" way to get an accurate picture of fish inventory. While electrofishing is definitely the best method known at this point, it can be a hit or miss proposition, depending on the time of year and behavioral patterns of fish. Gill nets suck because the fish are hurt. Seining isn't practical because of obstructions on the bottom. Traps are limited because certain sizes and species of fish won't go in. So, I have decided to figure out how to inventory a fish population. I need help. I'm thinking of starting a think tank of private fisheries workers to combine our talents to figure it out. More news as it develops. Spent time working on site planning for hatchery ponds, evaluating the wifi feeding system, and studying bass coming to the feeders in 49 degree water.
The bass feed exceptional well, especially around two or three feeders which had been out of food for several days.
The Morgan Company is feeding Silver Cup Steelhead feed, 9.5mm size pellets. The bass look like, as Ray Scott calls them, "An Alabama Deputy Sheriff." Growth rates have been pretty good. Last winter, when the bass were stocked, the average weight was 2.2 pounds. Fast forward a year, and the average weight looks like 3.4ish.
Was able to catch an early morning flight Thursday (left Laurinburg at 3 a.m.)arrived 7:30 in Atlanta, was told I was number 11 on the standby list for the next flight. Ended up in row 2...don't know how, but was thankful. Got to DFW at 10, was on the road to Shreveport for a consultation with Jack Wynne. His story will be an article. Jack is early 60's and in the construction business. About 10 years ago he bought a 20 acre lake which is about 40 years old. The cool part is that he fished in the lake when it was in its prime, about 30 years ago. He drained the lake, rearranged the structure, let it refill and then restocked it. Two years later, pretty decent fishing. But, the lake vegetated too much, he bought grass carp, they ate ALL the plants and fishing went to pot. He did the most logical thing...drained the lake again. Great story....It has a lot to do with habitat issues. His story needs to be told. It begins with habitat.
Back home, checking on the house yesterday, a bit of Christmas shopping. Making Christmas cookies in a minute, after the princess finishes coffee.
Merry Christmas, dear friends.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...