Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92658 10/11/06 06:27 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
While spending much time working on the house, there has been some pond related business and travels. After a noon bible study last Thursday, I climbed into the manly Dodge pickup truck and headed eastward from Whitesboro, arriving midnight in Decatur, Alabama for the SEOPA conference (outdoor writer's group). I was there at Ray Scott's request, to assist with technical support about a new product he is launching. Good friend Barry Smith, from American Sportfish Hatchery, was also there to support Ray. Barry had some news, too. He and partner Don Keller, publishers of Southern Ponds and Wildlife, decided to stop producing their magazine. I hate that...competition is a good thing, and I will miss seeing what they have to say each issue. Pond Boss has offered our good friends a slot in the magazine, if and when they are ready to write again. We also offered to fulfill their unfulfilled subscriptions. Texas Outdoor Writer's Association executive director, Keith Stelter, flew in ahead of time, and rode back to Texas with me. We stayed at Ray Scott's house Saturday and Sunday, just hanging out with the BASS legend. Shot a few photos of his new lake, a 14 acre creature which has all kinds of bells and whistles.
Monday, we headed westward again. Stopped in Jackson, Mississippi and met up with Eric West, ewest on the website. Spent several hours in his office, culling and selecting photos for him for a slide show at the conference. He took us to lunch at one of his favorite spots, the Elite Restaurant, for a veal cutlet meal. Eric is truly a southern gentleman.
On the drive, I received several interesting phone calls. Client Bob Congel, owner of Savannah Dhu in upstate New York, wants me there as soon as possible to begin writing a book about the history of the region and his wildlife preserve. Plane lands Friday.
Another call was asking about traveling to Pennsylvania for a fisheries consultation. And another is a client asking about a stream in Wyoming.
Layout guru Jim Stroud tells me the Nov/Dec issue of Pond Boss will be ready for proofreading late today or tomorrow. If I can get it back to him by Monday, it will be printed on time. That doesn't mean D.I.E.D will get it on time.
So, on to New York Friday, then to North Carolina Sunday, to meet up with Greg Grimes next Wednesday to electrofish Richmond Mill Lake and see how the fish population is progressing. Home Wednesday night.
Safe travels to all of you, my friends.
Fish on.
Lusk

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
#92659 10/15/06 02:56 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Well, had another great day of flying Friday. Up at 3 a.m., DFW at 4:30, to fly to Rochester, NY. Got to Atlanta to connect, second leg cancelled. ROC was closed. Couldn't get there until 8 pm. Switched airlines, connecte through Washington Reagan. If you get to fly through there, pass it up. Got to Savannah Dhu at 6:30, supper with Bucky Lainhart, Dan VanSchaik and the Savannah Dhu Wildlife team. Met with Bob Congel, Bucky and two historians and began discussion to write a book about Savannah Dhu and the history of the surrounding area. Interesting project. Fish guy to author a book on history? I can hear the whispers out there...."he still hasn't finished that construction book he promised two years ago." Shhhh....
Shot some really nice fall photos at SD...foliage is in full fall splendor, one of those shots may be next year's Nov/Dec cover shot.
Left SD at 4 a.m., landed at Raleigh/Durham at 11:30, settled in at Richmond Mill Lake, watching football, ready to go to work on this lake tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing Greg Grimes Wednesday and see what this lake has done in the last few months. Will report in later.
Fish on.
Lusk

#92660 10/18/06 07:02 AM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Spent part of Monday seining two small hatchery ponds. Moved 6,500 small bluegill into a five acre pond which had few fish. Rained out Tuesday. Greg Grimes arrived about 6 yesterday, launching the electrofishing boat in a few minutes to take a look at Richmond Mill Lake.

#92661 10/29/06 02:42 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Gosh, all...so sorry to be away for so long. My sweet, precious two year old grandson, Nolan, accidently knocked over his grandmother's glass of water onto my laptop. The keyboard...she no work no more. Computer fine, keyboard dead. Awaiting new keyboard. In the meantime, travels, consulting and no computer. Now on a borrowed machine, until repairs are complete.
Anyway, Greg electrofished Richmond Mill Lake. He did a great job, but the fish didn't cooperate very well. His boat worked very well, but this lake is probably too acidic to be efficiently electrofished. Greg collected a small sample of fish, and on the depth finder of the Morgan Company boat, we could easily see fish stacked up in the long creek channel, just beyond reach of 550 volts of electricity from Greg's boat.
Catch records prove that the fish population is thriving. So, we are now thinking of ways to efficiently collect samples of fish, other than exclusively using angling data or depending on electrofishing.
Will keep you posted.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images