Received a query from New Zealand several weeks ago, from a lady wishing to submit an article about a new product, a floating island. Intrigued, I responded, and found out she was in Montana at the moment. Was introduced to Bruce Kania, owner of the business, based in Montana. He employed me to consult about a pond he is building, and to learn about his floating islands. I flew to Billings, Montana, last Saturday for that consultation. Home last Monday.
Bruce owns an irrigated farm with a mile of frontage on the Yellowstone River, east of Shepherd, Montana.
As an inventor, Bruce has set up his farm as a research facility for his think tank.
He wasn't clear how to create habitat for fish, how to design cover and structure, or how to slope the sides.
We talked and planned for two and a half days.
Bruce wants a pond designed as a laboratory. He wants to be able to study the fish, the environment, water quality, riparian and wetland areas.
Here's the challenge...designing a pond (which has four water sources) whose biological development can be monitored and verified with accurate scientific precision.
Another note, Bruce has invented a unique product just now making its way into the marketplace. He builds floating islands, designed to grow plants, help cleanse the water, and provide a substrate for microbes as well as shade habitat for fish. Oh yeah, some fish graze on the roots of plants, as the roots make their way through the islands matrix.
If you have specific thoughts or questions, post them in the forum or email me direct at pondboss@texoma.net

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...