Many ponds experience the problem of slow growing or stunted largemouth bass (LMB). How can the pond owner reduce this problem and get these bass growing again? Some wonder if these bass will even be able to start growing again if pond conditions are improved. The following link which provides hints from three advisors, two of them professional fish guys, will help you get started with solving a problem of slow growing bass.

Commentary - Any fish that has experienced less than optimum growth has lost the amount of growth that would have occurred if the fish had been eating properly or at optimum levels. In other words that slow growing fish will always lag behind in size of its same aged siblings who annually ate optimum amounts of food. However, it has been proven numerous times that a stunted fish will again start growing when food becomes available in surplus quantities. Depending on the length of time that this fish endured slow growth, it may not live long enough to get to the ultimate trophy size, but it could very likely reach a respectable size and produce numerous healthy offspring who with adequate food will grow to become new trophies.

The initial question that stimulated this archive is from Mark Z who lives in southern Indiana: I am at the end of my 2nd year trying to get my 1.5 acre pond in balance. Started with lots of stunted LMB, some crappie, and pretty nice BG. After removing all crappie and 100 LMB I am seeing nice weight gain on the remaining LMB. I am seeing all sizes of BG that I was not seeing in the first year. I take that to mean I have a decent food supply for the remaining LMB.
My question is: What is the growth potential for previously stunted LMB? Will they start growing again at normal rates for my area or are they somehow "handicapped" after having a lack of food for some indefinite length of time? I assume that their actual age will control how much more they will grow, if they can grow. Would it be wise to add a small number of new LMB to the pond to shake up the genetics at this time?

Here is the link for kick starting slow growing LMB -
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000096#000003

Each day that a fish including bass, does not fill its belly, is one day it does not grow. Every day it does not grow is lost forever and the fish/bass cannot make up that lost day. Thus the fish will not grow to its largest size possible in your pond. Food food food is the key to growing large fish. Other important items are water quality, crowding, proper harvest to reduce crowding, and genetics of the fish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/30/12 09:39 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management