Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,789
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O, canyoncreek, Augie), 901 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
OK, Keith Wolfe piqued my interest on his thread about cane pole fishing. My Grandson and I got out some jointed poles that I had and really enjoyed it. However, as usual, I want to do it myself and have done it before but not with fresh cut bamboo. I have spotted a big bamboo grove(?) and want to cut some. I figure that they have to dry or cure. How long does it take? It seems that if I don't do it right that they might rot. Do they?

Also, last week, I found 2 Calcutta rods that I built about 30+ years ago. I had forgotten that I had them. One is a saltwater boat rod and the other is a surf casting rod. Both are 12 to 16 ft. long. They seem to be in good shape and I have lots of fond memories of using them. Is there anything that I need to do or is there anything that I can do to maintain them?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
DD1,
I can only pass along what was told to me and that is only about the first part of your question.
Cut away the branches as closely as possible to the main shaft and wait until the curing process is completed before any further sanding or pruning then throw the bamboo into the pond and let it soak for a month. The green bamboo cures during that process and will greatly extend it's useful life.
Most bamboo pieces have at least one curve to them, what I see here is that the piece is hung with the crown up and rotated as it settles, the settling time being the time it takes to dry, the piece should be hung in the shade. The largest enemy of the strength of bamboo is sunlight.
I have a split bamboo saltwater rod that is from the 30s and while stiff it is in as new condition as far as looks go. They still make split bamboo fly rods here I am told.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Rad, not sure I understand. What are the steps? Please bring it down to the stupid level for me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Dave, I 've never "cured" bamboo for fishing poles, but "borrow" a specimen or so from my neighbor to make wading staffs.

What I do to keep them straight, is to tightly bind several together, alternating ends to attain even "bundle"
Select only the straightest ones for use.

I stand them erect in the corner of garage and forget about them for a few weeks.

Seems to me be pefectly cured... \:\)
When "cured sand and finish...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
DD1,
Cut pieces to the size you wish. Trim all of the excess branches until the pole is relatively smooth, you can clean it up later. Tie the pieces together, every couple of feet and float them in the pond for about a month.
I read GW's post where they recommended hanging the poles vertically from the tip, but here they they are hung horizonally, in the shade, and rotated as needed to produce a straight pole. They use the eaves of their houses or out buildings. Using small diameter rope to form loops, placed far enough apart to allow about 2' overhang on each end. The overhang provides room for adjustment depending on where the curve might be. When dry in one to three months sand to the desired smoothness and finish.

Here no finish is applied, but then they seldom finish anything.
There are two old ladies, about my age, who fish the drainage ditches during the hot season, each has a pair of poles, one lady has perfectly straight poles, the other must not care as hers are slightly curved at the tip end. No eyes on these. The 20lb test line is tied near the tip.
The guy who told me about the water cure, makes furniture and cabanas from bamboo.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I want a bamboo cabana kit! How much to UPS it back to the states?

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
my grandparents planted a few rhyzomes of a running timber bamboo back in the 1920's (bamboo varieties are either running or clumping types). the stand is now over 2 acres. the largest canes reach over 60 feet tall and over 6-inches in diameter. in my experience, the biggest problem i've seen is after they are cut green, they split if not properly handled.

smaller bamboo species like golden bamboo probably wont have that problem as bad, but i think the motive behind rad's wet cure methods is to not only keep it straight but to keep the bamboo from splitting after being cut.

in other words you have to keep it wet until it drys out.

b'ski, if you ever drive to sacramento, let me know, i could fill up yer car with the biggest bamboo you've ever seen.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:

...b'ski, if you ever drive to sacramento, let me know, i could fill up yer car with the biggest bamboo you've ever seen.
-
-
(braggart!)

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Thanks Rad. I understand it now.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
In Jamaica, when a tourist ordered a Dragon Stout beer (as opposed to the watered down Red Stripe), the dreads would say "ya man, good for the 'ole bamboo."

I think they mean that they cure their bamboo with Dragon Stout beer.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
I think they didn't mean your fishing pole if you know what I meant. Kinda like how something puts hair on your chest.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I know, Keith, I know. I was just kidding.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Brettski,
The builder and I discussed making them in kit form for export, that one cost about $75 delivered to the pond, I had him build another one with a little different design, but as a kit, cost $100, I could get a container to the US for $800 and I have a friend in L.A. who is an importer. The builder raised his price to $750 a unit, he was rich in his mind that day, and I haven't seen him since. This one was the pond kitchen until we moved to the property, now it is the garden shack.

Dwight Yoakam
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
gotcha;)I shoulda known

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by FireIsHot - 04/19/24 07:49 AM