Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Please contact your congress person and say no to HR2421. I'm all for the clean water act and think it's done some great things, but after seeing how the feds are handling the VHS virus situaton up here in the Great lakes, i have little faith in the federal government anymore. I don't think they could competently run the local day care. Looks like they want to control our wells, ditches etc. as well. (no pun intended)

I hope this is not considered a political post, as I am not singling out any politician or political party and feel we as pond owners should be aware of this.

Proposed U.S. Clean Water Legislation to Regulate Farm Ponds
by Suzi Fraser

Proposed U.S. Clean Water Legislation to Regulate Farm Ponds

Representative James Oberstar (D-Minn) has introduced legislation ( HR2421 ) which would greatly expand the regulatory reach of the Clean Water Act to the detriment of U.S. economic growth and agricultural operations, including aquaculture operations.

HR2421 will move the Clean Water Act beyond protecting wetlands and waterways, and create legislation that would regulate nearly every wet area in the nation - even if water is only present for a few days and even if it is on private land. This could include everything from ditches to farm ponds and possibly groundwater.

Under the proposed legislation, the regulatory reach of the CWA would undergo its greatest expansion since the law took effect in 1972 and grant the Environmental Protection Agency and the Army Corps of Engineers federal regulatory authority over all "intrastate waters". This proposal would potentially regulate nearly every wet area in the nation, including water on private lands. The new definition of "waters of the United States" would include farm and stock ponds to an estimated 55 million acres of prior converted cropland.

The National Aquaculture Association is urging its members immediately to contact their Congressional members to oppose HR2421.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
This isn't what Lusk meant by political.

Good post Cecil

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I always knew there would be a need to form a cohesive group of pond owners, for exerting political influence, to which this forum would be instrumental.

Perhaps that time is upon us now.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I remember Mr. Lusk making a post from Ray Scott's office asking that we let him know any time a governmental entity was hindering pond issues. I have not read Cecil's links, but this seems to be one Mr. Scott could have some national influence over.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Pond? What pond?

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jersey:
Pond? What pond?
If there is any water left they will want to control it! Barry didn't help you out?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Sunil, I concur.

F
F
It has already started here in Minnesota. In this state, the D.N.R has too much power. I have already been told I can't cut down my cattails. I am doing it anyway.They are taking over my small pond and are very invasive. It's ok for Mndot to cut the cattails in the ditches, but I can't cut them in my own pond? What is wrong with this picture? I was also told I can't catch the fish I buy at the hatchery without a fishing license! So I have to buy the fish, then buy a fishing license to catch the fish in my own farm pond on private property!(If I wanted to,that is)
They want control over all the water, no questions asked! Bobbi

home to 500 goldfish, 15 sunnies and 3 bass! If ya swim with them you cant eat them!!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
What is this country coming to?

But, it's to be expected...too many people, too little resources for them all...and they keep approving more new developments!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I have kept quiet on similar topics in the past, BUT, I was warned that any NRCS involvement in my project could lead to future consequences.
When I first embarked on this "pond" journey I contacted them and was told little or no funds available for this type of improvements (at that time, in my area). Maps of watershed were no problem but any further involvement would create a paper trail and "document" my property. Wetlands, surface waters etc. in general are beginning to get real attention.
At the time, I truly thought he was coping out on me. Now I am glad I'm not on their radar.
I try to avoid any, even remotely, political discussions on an informative, passionate, entertaining forum as this so take this info at face value and just one man's experience.
Sunil
You better start looking for an office and some employees. I can't think of anyone who would be better at heading up such a group!
Cecil
thanks for the post. It is time to make everyone aware.
Jersey
My EXACT thoughts also.
Dave
Good to see you old pre-color's still active and providing information.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ya'll need to read George Orwell's 1984... At least it gives us an idea of where things are going. It's happening ma frens. Wars have been fought all over the world over water rights. The powers that be are intent on controlling the water, both ground and surface supplies. Do not be fooled that it is brain dead politicians doing this for a popular cause. It has an intentional end to it all. Use your imagination here, but postpone it? Yes. Stop it? Doubtful. On my 10 acres, I already pay for "metered" water out of my (very) rural well if I want to keep more than 1/4 acre "green" and I am not allowed to use my pond water for any watering, though my cows are still "allowed" to drink from it. If I sound the "conspiracy therorist" fool, look at your local history concerning water rights, and then tune back into this subject in 10 years nation-wide. My point will have been proven. Sorry. No good news in this arena, from my view point anyway.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by floatinflowers:
It has already started here in Minnesota. In this state, the D.N.R has too much power. I have already been told I can't cut down my cattails. I am doing it anyway.They are taking over my small pond and are very invasive. It's ok for Mndot to cut the cattails in the ditches, but I can't cut them in my own pond? What is wrong with this picture? I was also told I can't catch the fish I buy at the hatchery without a fishing license! So I have to buy the fish, then buy a fishing license to catch the fish in my own farm pond on private property!(If I wanted to,that is)
They want control over all the water, no questions asked! Bobbi
Boatinflowers,

I've heard all about your state from othe fish farmers, and there is one particular one up there that is continually fighting your DNR. He claims he had ruffled some feathers up there and they are out to get him at all costs now. It's no wonder the congress critter that is introducing this legislation is from your state.

I once did an article on the importation requirements of various states in the Great Lakes basin, and I must say your state is the most restrictive and complicated. It's very, very, hard to import live fish to your state. And one can still be turned down for a permit, even with all your ducks in a row. To me that's too much power in the hands of a state agency.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cecil,

I'm not a defeatist, but I think tighter and tighter regulations and restrictions are inevitable.

I think the only way the Feds will back off on regulation is if they see ponds as a source of tax revenue. The only thing the buzzards like more than control is money! \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
In my opinion, the only way you will be left alone in the future is to prove subsistance from your pond. You must plant some vegetables and pump out some water to keep them growing. Also prove that you survive to a large extent on eating your fish. That's how the eskimos can hunt and fish without licenses and take more than the recreational limit.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Jeez, I went to the link and if I'm reading the offending language in this bill correctly it essentially removes (from current legislation/regulation) the phrase "navigable waters of the United States" and substitutes the phase "Waters of the Unites States."

In the bill "Waters of the United States" is defined as:

"all waters subject to the ebb and flow of the tide, the territorial seas, and all interstate and intrastate waters and their tributaries, including lakes, rivers, streams (including intermittent streams), mudflats, sandflats, wetlands, sloughs, prairie potholes, wet meadows, playa lakes, natural ponds, and all impoundments of the foregoing"

Before you think it (or say it) this is not a Jeffhasapond joke, that's quoting the bill directly (or as directly as I can given my typing skills). I'd say that about covers every type of wet area. I get that we all need to be concerned about water pollution but this is taking an extreme stance. Besides who is more concerned about water quality than pond meisters.

All I can say is that if you pee on your property make sure that it dries quickly and does not pool or create a wet meadow - perhaps limit your urination to a 1 - 2 beer input/output factor. Six pack pees are no longer allowed, unless of course you can run while peeing - then you may have the proper disbursal factor to ensure quick drying.

NOTE: My intent is not to make light of this legislation however - this proposed bill seems like some serious stuff. I can see how this would trickle down to very restrictive control of pond chemicals.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
this is already enforce in CA. the train derailment site i'm working on extends off of the railroad's easement to private land. the spill affected a storm water run off channel that is nothing more than a topographic low spot on a steep mountainside. the run off channel eventually turns into a seasonal creek bed only active in winter, and this is 1,000's of feet above any perennial creek/river.

despite this, the upper portion where the release occurred is designated as "waters of the U.S." and falls under USACE (Corps of Engineers) jurisdiction, and the hoops involved before we can dig out the "dirty dirt" are enormous and include a biological survey (endangered plants/animals), an aquatic survey (where there is no water??), an archaeaological survey, a forestry survey, a nesting raptor survey, permit applications and fees with Fed and State, and pre-construction notifications to Fed and State.....plus regulatory approved investigation work plans and storm water pollution prevention plans (SWPPPs)......all to remove what may amount to a few hundred cubic yards of impacted soil on a mountainside......welcome to my world.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
"all waters subject to the ebb and flow of the tide, the territorial seas, and all interstate and intrastate waters and their tributaries, including lakes, rivers, streams (including intermittent streams), mudflats, sandflats, wetlands, sloughs, prairie potholes, wet meadows, playa lakes, natural ponds, and all impoundments of the foregoing"

So does that, or does that not include farm ponds? Mine is not fed by an intermittent stream. Merely by rain runoff.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
No !! That is what the COE tries to claim but is not right.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
We vote them into office and after a couple months they learn that they have the power to control. That is the end of representing us and the beginning of expanding that power.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What's a playa lake and what's the COE?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Playa is spanish for beach. I find it hard to believe that this would be a weak effort at PC.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
COE = another acronym for Corps of Engineers.

the language (for "waters of the U.S.)used on our project with which the COE assumed regulatory jurisdiction was related to disturbing and or changing the course of the natural water way, and that no matter how insignificant the water way, it leads to an intermittant stream, and ultimately to a creek/river.

i think the general interp. for pondmeisters might be is that if you have an impoundment built before these regulations, you are not technically allowed to change it now without notification to the COE. then they rule whether or not you need a permit and their authorization.

if you want to build new, it will require notification. enforcement is another issue. they dont have the funds to run around and investigate aerial photos of the whole country to find out if people are ignoring the regulation.

GSF are people too!

C
C
Wish somebody would not have mentioned the idea of taxing us more. If that happens they can take my pond and shove it Then Ill move back to Germany. To much bs around here.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
this is already enforce in CA.....

....a biological survey (endangered plants/animals), an aquatic survey (where there is no water??), an archaeaological survey, a forestry survey, a nesting raptor survey, permit applications and fees with Fed and State, and pre-construction notifications to Fed and State.....plus regulatory approved investigation work plans and storm water pollution prevention plans (SWPPPs)......all to remove what may amount to a few hundred cubic yards of impacted soil on a mountainside

......welcome to my world.
Dang Dave, you're just full of good news. \:D

I would think that you would have to do a survey to determine what surveys need to be done.

Welcome to Kalhifoania

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Quote:
Originally posted by Chad C 4026:
Wish somebody would not have mentioned the idea of taxing us more.
Reminds me of the Beatles song:

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me

Cause I'm the tax man
Yea I'm the tax man

Should five percent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all

Cause I'm the tax man
Yea I'm the tax man

If you drive a car - I'll tax the street
If you try to sit - I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold - I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk - I'll tax your feet

Well I'm the tax man
Yea I'm the tax man

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Cause I'm the tax man
Yea I'm the tax man

And here I thought I was moving to the country to avoid being regulated to death. \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails