Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, Waxaholic, Foozle), 1,098 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by bigmac:
I just closed on 14.011 acres of land, near Coldspring, and think I have found a good dirt worker.
First off, congratulations!

Now - notice how no matter what the size of the property is, it takes 5 digits to define?

Whether a big piece like 10,000 acres or a big piece like 14.011 acre.

We bought our place 20 years ago this coming September, and I have known ever since that it is 42.926 acres.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
BigMac,

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the club! Brettski has good words and lots of folks here eager to help, including myself.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Thanks to all for the well wishes! This is a 15 year dream becoming reality. Had to get rid of the city girl and other debts, first.

We almost ran beyond the Earnest Money Contract on this one. They claimed it was 15.018 acres (5 digits), but the square footage didn't add up to that from the 28 year old documents. After I proved my point with a survey, I worked to get the price down for the one acre I was not getting.

Luckily, that's all behind me and now moving forward to build myself a swimming grocery store. I'll open a thread and begin posting, when they get to the actual dirt work, which may be 2 months. For now, I'll just take the pictures to show the project develop.

Again, thanks for the well wishes. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. That will probably change, when the actual bids come in and the reality of the costs rears its ungly head. ;\)

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
BigMac,
My own post got me to thinkin' about the changes. I have a page on the website dedicated to before/after shots, but it hasn't been updated since we cleared the site.
The following 3 pic chronology is the kinda stuff you're gonna want to document for posterity. All these shots were taken from an area within 50 ft of each other, looking in the same direction:
-
-
This is the first day of clearing the 6 ac site of fairly dense timber. This particular area was thinner since it was the low spot that collected water...the part that attracted me in the first place. About 1/2 ac clear so far.

-
-
This is a couple weeks later; a little over 6 ac is cleared and burned. Only a couple of root ball piles remain, smoldering well into Winter. We quit for the year at this point last September. It allowed us to spend quality time in the site, dreaming and scheming.

-
-
This is where we are today in July, some 9 months later. The dreaming and scheming paid off big. We changed a number of facets over the Winter. We have made a good decision in waiting and thinking.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
SUNIL'S MOUND IS FULLY DECORATED AND READY FOR CHRISTMAS!
Well, the time came and I had to venture into a construction phase that was uncharted for this DIY guy. We combo'd a tire pyramid with PVC trees on Sunil's mound to create what the boss giggled and coined a "cool fish playland".
First, we had to install the PVC limbs permanently. As planned, I used 1.250" stainless screws at both sides of the 4" trunk to keep the limb centralized.

-
-
Then the tractor and truck tires....I ain't gonna miss wrestling with these PIMA's . I knew that it was gonna be difficult drilling thru the steel belts...but...man, you better have the right power and tools or fuggedaboutit. I used a 1.250" dia bi-metal hole saw on a 1/2 industrial drill to buzz (or was it more like "burn") holes into the hi sides of each of the tires. I elected to cut into the side walls close to the tread to minimize the amount of steel I had to cut thru. I tried running it through the tread....Oyyy! The high sidewall is gonna have to do!
I'm not sure if I am totally satisfied with the attachment method, particularly since I recall seeing a post somewhere from Dr Dave shunning the use of nylon cable ties. I don't recall the exact post, nor the reason, but I presume that it related to the ties with a metal cog and it's potential to corrode and fail...? Well, anyway, you guessed it...I used nylon cable ties, but these are all nylon. Once all the tires were tied together, the mass was pretty stable...but...could be stronger, I s'pose. Can any of my "tire structure experienced" comrades offer advice, pros and cons? I still have time to adjust.

-
-
We arranged the trees in a triangle surrounding the tire pyramid, burying the concrete filled 5 gal buckets about 1/2 way into the clay.

-
-
And then, the final product...hope ya like it Sunil. The top of Sunil's mound will be 8 feet below normal pool. It is on the deeper, outer edge of a shallow zone of about 3/4 acre where the water will run up into the woods at the perimeter, creating a quasi wetland (wetland treeline can be seen in background of above pic)
-
-Norm's ditch, directly adjacent to Sunil's mound, has a few inches of water in it. I'm not sure if Norm is gonna see any artificial structure...? I have enough stuff to do three more packages, or I can break 'em up. We'll see, but I gotta get going.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great job Bret. !! I use nylon cable ties all the time and they have done fine. Some have been there 10 years. I have not heard that they could be a problem. Small dia. trot line string (black nylon) works great also.

Great combo of items. Some thick (trees) for small fish , some loose (tires) for big fish and good depth 4 to 8 feet + the mound (bottom stct.) and all adjacent to deeper water.

Don't fill in the ditch with cover. It is the ditch depth change that attracts fish and provides them a highway. If you feel compelled to add something then pick one location on the ditch and add a tree or two that go over the ditch - root ball on one side on top and tree crown on the opposite side on top. That is a lot of trouble now. I think I would wait. After xmas gather about 6 discarded xmas trees and weight each one and in the spring place 3 on the top edge of the ditch about 6 ft apart in a line with the other 3 directly across the ditch.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Geez, 'ski! That's really impressive. I honestly think you could put together a book with the documentation and photo support you have. I hope you eventually end up like this when it comes to fish. ;\)

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
I use nylon cable ties all the time and they have done fine. Some have been there 10 years. I have not heard that they could be a problem. Small dia. trot line string (black nylon) works great also.
I've had nylon cable ties last 5 or 6 years above ground and exposed to sun, rain, etc. They were still holding up (although starting to get a little brittle) when the "temporary" project was replaced with the "permanent." Underwater with no sunlight or freezing, I think they'd last a long time.

Brettski has merely insured the PVC trees will last for multiple human lifetimes, like everything else he builds.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
I hope you eventually end up like this when it comes to fish. ;\)
Brettski post, sometime in the near future:

"We finished stocking the forage fish today. Donna-ski put her foot down and would only let me get 1000 of the 12" RES from Dr. Frankenbruce to go with the 10,000 14" CSBG he's supplying. Here's the fish truck bringing them in from Nebraska."

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...Theo treads softly so as to not wake me from my dream:
 Quote:
Brettski post, sometime in the near future:

"We finished stocking the forage fish today. Donna-ski put her foot down and would only let me get 1000 of the 12" RES from Dr. Frankenbruce to go with the 10,000 14" CSBG he's supplying. Here's the fish truck bringing them in from Nebraska."
Theo, even if Bruce provided any portion of this blessing, I would still need mega-support for convincing Donna-ski of the financial need to execute this deal. I would ask your assistance, but she has more than once noted that Theo is the "Pond Boss funny guy"; I fear your credibility on this effort. \:D
-
-
We got back out to do some mo' structure stuff. Man, I swear those tires are gainin' weight!
We set up 2 more tire pyramids about 50 feet apart. We then set 6 PVC trees at a pointed arc between the tire pyramids. The top of the point is closest to Norm's ditch. (we ran outta PVC limbs on 3 of the trees, but their installation next trip will be the easy part of finishing the zone)

Sunil's mound, completely decorated, can be seen to the left about another 75 feet or so. Not really knowing what I am doing (SURPRISE!), I am trying to create a reef that is between the gentle slope from the wetland area (where I am taking photo from and to my left) and the carved bottomscape beyond.
Hope to install the missing limbs next weekend and some mo' tires and trees.
-
(oh yeah, we got another dowser of rain last week...the water is up about another 6 - 8" as it fills the low pockets)

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Brettski you'll never be able to cast a line that far from the dock. What are you thinking?

Oh sorry now I know why you put a boat ramp on a 5 acre pond.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Theo reminds me...
 Quote:
Make sure they're where you will be able to cast to from shore. I know you can fish from a boat, but will you always want to?
Okie dokey, how 'bout a cluster...maybe 30 feet from the front edge of the building site?
There ya go, Prof Gallus! Allow me to introduce "Theo's Cluster".
-
-
We completed the limbs on the PVC trees in the reef, then installed Theo's cluster? That pretty much populates this borough with new housing.

-
-
...then, a little more flack about cheese-cake casting from Rockytopper:
 Quote:
Brettski you'll never be able to cast a line that far from the dock. What are you thinking?
...hmmm, I have 13 more truck tires, Rocky-T has a good idea, and I need something quick and easy 'cuz I'm beat.

-
OK, here's the deal...I need help namin' this one. It was inspired by Rockytopper, so we need to work him into it. C'mon...somebody has to have a good way to blend Rocky-T with a pile of old truck tires :p \:\) .
-
-
...and lastly, I need input and opinions. Rocky-T's pile of tires is just that...a pile. There are no fasteners or cable ties holding any of it together. Every tire has 3 holes x 1.5" dia on the top of the sidewall, spaced out evenly, to expel air accumulation. They are between 9 and 6 feet below the normal pool, almost to the base of a slope that terminates at 12 feet deep. I don't think they will slide any farther...? I would feel better, tho, if they were fastened together. I really like the geometry and would like to maintain the mass in the form that it is right now. Should I tie them together? Thoughts?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The Texiz RT treadpile?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Why do I sense "Theo's Cluster" is an abbreviated title? :rolleyes: ;\)

I am honored, Sir.

-S. M. Stirling
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I'd tie the tires together, Brettski. When you snag one, they'd be much more likely to stay in place.

My pessimism on this (or optimism toward the lbs test of your fishing line) comes from pulling Robbie the Robot over last night - now I have to take a rake out in the canoe, snag Robbie's float tether, and try and stand him up again. No rest for King Ding-a-Ling.

-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Do you have some rebar left? If so take about 6 pieces 4 ft long and bend a loop in one end. Drive them in the ground all the way down to the loop, 3 in front of the pile and 3 in back. Take some heavy trot line cord (or cable) and go from one loop in back through the tires and tie it to the front loop. Repeat until all are tied down. Then take a couple sacks of quickceret mix it up and put one shovel full in each tire away from the holes drilled in the tires. The last step will make the tires float , if at all , with the holes up so any air can escape.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ok, this is gonna sound stupid...but...tires don't float, do they? Yeah, I know that they may entrap air, but if they are totally devoid of air, they will sink...right? Jeesh, they gotta! I'm guessin' they weigh around 80# each, maybe more. Those lousy tractor tires must come in well over 200#.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
Ok, this is gonna sound stupid...but...tires don't float, do they? Yeah, I know that they may entrap air, but if they are totally devoid of air, they will sink...right? Jeesh, they gotta! I'm guessin' they weigh around 80# each, maybe more. Those lousy tractor tires must come in well over 200#.
You know, Brettski, I think I'm gonna haul a couple tires down to the pond and find out. Maybe one of those throwaway spares (maximum rubber content, very little if any steel) and a heavier tire (typical "steel belted radial"). I might tether them off to posts and see how long it takes them to lose enough air through weep holes to sink (assuming they do).

-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
With no air they sink but not well and have a tendency to move around a lot with any water movement. Think about it this way a ten pound fish weighs that much (force needed to lift it) in air , not water. In the water things just tend to move around. With a small amount of air (or CO2 or CH4 )they move around a lot more and can float.

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
It all looks like a Paint Ball field! BG vs. LMB! Who will win?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
So-SKI I see how you are. I'm now just a pile of ...., Now that I've been be littled as such please let me return the favor. If I may be so bold I have a few piles of my own that deserve proper names. If you will post for me we can let the games begin. \:D

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rockytopper...
Mount Rushmore started out as a big ol' pile of rocks; not too glamourous. I see this rubber-based monument as a way to immortalize a PB brethren. Sure, it's basically a pile of old tires, but it's the inspiration that you have provided that will make it sooooo much more. Someday, you and I will be flippin' lures over this monument, pullin' in 10" Dr Frankenbruce BG's, and laughin' about the day that you were ALMOST offended. Consider "Theo's Cluster"....he recognized the potential right away! ;\) \:\)
...but, if you still desire returning the favor by naming a pile of sumthin' after me, Donna-ski will e-mail you a list of names that she has methodically compiled. One will surely suit the need. \:D

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
SKI you miss understand, I have had way to much time on my hands with the lack of rain. I have already had to mow the pond bottom once and it looks like it is time again. I have created multipule piles of artifical structure,humps and bumps and fish structure with the kubota. You will only have the rights to one of them. I'm giving you first pick of the one you want to have named in your honor. The rest of the PB bretren will get one two. There are plenty to go around. If we run short of piles I'll add some more. If you can post the pic's for me we can let the games begin.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...following up on a previous post from Pg 3 of this thread
 Quote:
...and lastly, I need input and opinions. Rocky-T's pile of tires is just that...a pile. There are no fasteners or cable ties holding any of it together. Every tire has 3 holes x 1.5" dia on the top of the sidewall, spaced out evenly, to expel air accumulation. They are between 9 and 6 feet below the normal pool, almost to the base of a slope that terminates at 12 feet deep. I don't think they will slide any farther...? I would feel better, tho, if they were fastened together. I really like the geometry and would like to maintain the mass in the form that it is right now. Should I tie them together? Thoughts?

-
-
OK, so first of all, I needed to put a documented name to this Rockytopper inspired rubber mass. This fine articulated geometric re-tread radial design shall here forward be known throughout the pond as the Rockytopper Lunker Stopper . A whimsical tongue-twister, reminiscent of my youth, spun off of rubber-baby-buggy-bumper.
-
-
Ewest and Theo kicked back firm opinions that these things should be tied together somehow. I'll tell ya this much; anything having to do with cuttin' holes and threading cable ties thru the thick rubber and wiry steel belts really sux. Even when the drill bit finally cuts (burns) thru the rubber and steel, the hole nearly closes and heals itself as soon as the bit is withdrawn. Then, if anything shifts and the holes aren't aligned...well, you know. It is slow and arduous. Oh yeah, let's not forget the bulky weight of truck and tractor tires for ease of handling.
So, I want to continue with my goal of long-term installation, but try to engineer something that is a little easier. I kept thinkin' about those little nylon fasteners that hold the price tags to clothing...somethin' like that would be great...yeah, right. (Remember the Buttoneer?) It's gotta be able to blast thru the thick rubber walls and steel cords AND last forever. hmmmmm.....
I took a pc of leftover 6" dia PVC pipe from the drain. The walls of the pipe are stout at 5/16". I cut a very short length at 2" long; a big bracelet, if you will. Then, I layed in down on the bandsaw and cut the bracelet into 2" sections. Then I took a #10 x 3" square drive SS deck screw and fitted it with 3 SS washers of graduating ID/OD to create a fairly large fender washer (I had the various SS washers in stock).

Wherever two tires met, I put a tie thru both adjacent tire walls, securing them together. The sharp point of the SS deck screw blew right thru both tire walls, no issue. Then, because the point of the screw terminated inside the tire on the bottom, it was in an awkward position. Donna-ski put on leather gloves and assisted by reaching under and inside the tire, blindly positioning the PVC nut for installation. She moved the PVC nut back and forth over the screw tip until it hit the hole. I then slowly ran the screw gun as Donna firmly held the 2" square PVC nut. The screw self-tapped into the PVC as the nut drew up onto the SS screw threads...DONE. It actually worked pretty darn good.
There is one other trick, of which I did not get a pic. Because the screw gun (actually a drill with bit holder/#2 square bit) did not fit inside the top tire so I could drive the SS screw, I had to adapt. I took another drill, chucked with the hole saw that I used for creating the air release holes, and cut another hole in the top tire wall directly over the spot where a SS screw will go thru both tire walls below. I used a 12" bit extension with the #2 tip at the business end, dropped it down thru this new strategically located 1-1/2" hole, and buzzed the screw right on thru both tires directly below...worked great.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Brettski:

Good job and narration !!

I tried to drill holes in tires once. It did not work well so I stopped. Currently have 5 to use somehow. The top of the sidewall is much easier than the tread to cut (still not easy). A torch might be the easy way to make an air escape hole through the tread.

With your method think about this for making a structure. Get a 8 ft length of your 6 ft pvc , and 2 of your fasteners for each of about 6 tires. Cut the air hole in top of tire and space out along the pvc leaving 1 ft on each end and fasten them to the pipe through the bottom of the tire, air hole up. Put rocks or some quickcrete in the pvc and or stake it to the pond bottom.

This might be easier. Take a longer pvc length and some fasteners and turn the tires sideways to the pvc and fasten through the sidewall near the bottom to the pvc. Make one row on each side of the pvc. Run a cable through the pvc and stake at each end to pond bottom.

We could call them Brettski structures and sell them. ;\)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?