Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Pat Williamson, Bruno616, Dave Davidson1), 708 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LakeL Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Has anyone in east Texas observed their Talapia belly up? Last weekend I witness a bunch of Buzzards gathering in the tree above my pond eyeing the windward side...........didn't see any dead Talapia myself but walked over just incase there was a dead animal and saw none. They seemed to be looking into the water itself. Rather a erie sight. Any thoughts when Talapia loose some of their benfit when your preditor population gets to large in size for the original spring stocking survive to spawn. In other words your 3-5 pound LB have an expensive snack!!!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
I counted 8 Dead Talapia this Am.. I guess those Nights of below frezing, finally done my fish in..

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The Tilapia that I put in last spring not all were expensive LMB snacks. I had little or no FA, caught one 3# Tilapia and saw quite a few more. I put in 5-7" Tilapia and most seemed to survive.....even with known 4-8 pound LMB in my .75 acre pond. I expect to see my remaining Tilapia(some of the original stock in May) floating very shortly as the water has been 50-52 degrees for the last week.

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Two floaters and about 3-4 dead ones on the bottom that I can see. It will be nice to get some back in the pond next spring.

H
H
Interesting that there are so few floaters. I suppose that fermentation is slow in the cool water and the turtles get most of them before they collect enough gas to float. Both last year and this, I saw a number of hawks around the pond at dying time, so I guess they get some of the ones that are not quite dead, but barely moving just under the surface. A little before that, the bass were tearing up the water in spots, after little ones, I suppose.

Even if they didn’t feed the bass, I would shell out for them again because they do such a good job on the filamentous. The boss likes that, too, because she objects to the smell of the floating clumps. As everyone else has reported, the dead Tilapia don’t collect in enough numbers to cause any detectible odor.

I still got into some moss with diving lures in shallow water, but the only floating clumps were in the rocks where even a Tilapia can’t go.
Lou

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Tilapia, This was my 2nd year with them.. 2007 will be my 3rd

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
I just a saw a hugh # of buzzards cicrling my pond.. I found hundreds of dead Tilapia.. so much for my theroy of using well water to warm my pond..

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Out of curiousity, how much water (in gpm) were you putting in your pond and how big is the pond? Also, what is your ground water temp?

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Approx 100 gallons a minute, approx. 1/2 acre, water temp. 67....

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
LT,
"Hundreds of Tilapia"? How big is your pond and how many did you stock this last spring? The only floaters were pretty big Tilapia (12-16")and only accounted for about 1/2 of what I originally put in last May. The LMB must have got all the rest....
My water at 12" is now 49 degrees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by LoopTech:
Approx 100 gallons a minute, approx. 1/2 acre, water temp. 67....
Have you measured your pond water temperature? You might find some pockets of warm water where some talipa survive.

The fish farm I went to for my trout has a 120gpm artesian well that constantly flows through all of their ponds. They claim that the water temps are the same as the well water temps (52degrees) year round and we get some really cold winters up here. All of their ponds were small so that might have something to do with it.

L
LakeL Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
Just got back f/ my pond.............just like clock work a local bald eagle has set up house cleaning for any belly up talapia..........so cool to watch.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Went for a little ride around the pond and only had a couple of tilapia that have knocked off. I am expecting more since the water level is way down. I still saw several hundred running around in the warm water channel (well water).

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I'm considering talapia for next year. In your experiences, have they really reproduced as much as people say? Has it been an overall good experience? Thanks.

Dan

Carl Spackler: "This place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you..."
L
Lunker
Lunker
L
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fishman Dan:
I'm considering talapia for next year. In your experiences, have they really reproduced as much as people say? Has it been an overall good experience? Thanks.

Dan
This as been my second year with Talapia.. They have taken care of my filamentous algae.
problem.. as far as reproduction.. They are very great on reproducing.. I have seen fish from 2 inches to approx. 12 inches that have died from the cold water. I stocked 5 lbs in the Spring.. There are approx. 100 lbs dead at this time..

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I sure hope I can have a 2007 tilapia problem like many who posted above.

I live in West Virginia, just across the border from Winchester, Virginia.

I cannot find a source of tilapia -- local or otherwise. I've called our local commercial fish hatchery/dealer. I've called advertisers in Pondboss Magazine. I've searched the Internet. They either don't have tilapia, they can't ship out of state, or they can't seem to get them to me in enough time that they will survive.

I even contacted West Virginia University. Although the person I talked to thought I might be a little whacky for trying tilapia here, he at least got his degree in Georgia, worked as a biologist there, and knew a fair amount about tilapia. But, he too was of minimal assistance in finding a source.

Anybody know of a source of tilapia in Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, or North Carolina who might be able to supply me with enough to help clean up an otherwise healthy half-acre pond next spring? I figure I've got about 25 years worth of leaves, probably over two feet of muck, in the bottom of my pond.

Thanks,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Catmandoo,

Sounds to me like you're going to have to find a live Asian fish market that supplies live Talapia for food fish. Do some looking around on the internet.

I found this company. Maybe you can call and see if they have any or they can put you onto someone else. I do know Talapia are raised indoors in RAS systems to supply the fish markets.

Be aware that you will have to be careful of state laws etc.

King Fish MarketSeafood
Company
Map
Address:
12 E Marshall St
Richmond, VA 23219
804-648-7930

BTW I may get the wife to put your grass carp on the website soon. Computer got reformatted and she has been busy but she's home for Christmas now.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
Catmandoo,

Sounds to me like you're going to have to find a live Asian fish market that supplies live Talapia for food fish. Do some looking around on the internet.

I found this company. Maybe you can call and see if they have any or they can put you onto someone else. I do know Talapia are raised indoors in RAS systems to supply the fish markets.

Be aware that you will have to be careful of state laws etc.

King Fish MarketSeafood
Company
Map
Address:
12 E Marshall St
Richmond, VA 23219
804-648-7930

BTW I may get the wife to put your grass carp on the website soon. Computer got reformatted and she has been busy but she's home for Christmas now.
Cecil,

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to be in Richmond on Saturday, and again next Wednesday. I may try to stop in there and talk to the owners.

After I explained how my pond is situated, the professor from WVU strongly suggested that I not to take "no" for an answer from the WV DNR when importing tilapia. Yes, I will have to get permits. He said the DNR should probably eventually agree that I am not a threat to the local ecosystem. I believe he will back me, if I find a reasonable source of fish.

In this area, we've become especially sensitive to Asian fish markets because of the "frankenfish" -- the Asian snakeheads that have invaded so many of our rivers and public ponds.

As a result, even to replace my silly old grass carp, I have to get lots of signatures. I will start the process right after Jan 1, in hopes of getting just two new triploid carp by April! There are still two big ones in my pond -- and they are welcome to stay until a few younger cousins can legally be brought in.

The local dealer who sold my four original grass carp (10 years ago) no longer sells them. Too much hassle from the state. He tried talking me into goldfish! He won't sell tilapia for the same reason.

Cecil, and others, all your efforts to improve our ponds and recreation are greatly appreciated.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
West Virginia Aquaponics, Donnie R. Tenney, P.O. Box 125, Tallmansville, WV 26237. (304) 472-4693; fax (304) 472-4301. treeor@msys.net Market food fish to wholesalers, processors, and restaurants. Species: tilapia.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Catmandoo,

I give you a standing ovation for your efforts....rather than set back, question, throw barbs and criticize what others have accomplished via Tilapia and instead of letting Government throw up roadblocks to stop you...you are finding a way. I'd bet my money on that kind of person and approach any day...again my applause and tip of the hat to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM