Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I know this topic has been brought up before, but this a new twist: As some of you know I raise a good number of pellet fed bass in a pond that I get to about 3 lbs. for taxidermy schools, and the larger ones predominantly for individual taxidermists for their show rooms and competitions.

I used to be able to walk out on the pier and just drop a piece of crawler in front of the nose of any fish that I had selected and catch it. No more! If I walk out on the pier even at feeding time with a fishing pole in my hand they disappear! All 200 hundred of them! If I come back without the pole they slowly reappear! Additionally if anyone else goes out onto the pier, or with me, they also do the vanishing act. Water is quite clear and they can see me I'm sure.

Who said fish are stupid?

Thank goodness I will have my shocker apparatus operational in the future. It will be well worth it!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's fascinating. Can you rig your shocker to stay in the water at all times, then give the fish a small shock any time they swim away from you? Eventually they'd follow you right into your house.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dr. Frankenbruce conditioning at its best. \:D

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
That's fascinating. Can you rig your shocker to stay in the water at all times, then give the fish a small shock any time they swim away from you? Eventually they'd follow you right into your house.
Not a problem! But I need to train them to fly first! First things first my boy.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
Who said fish are stupid?
Not me, Cecil. I believe your story completely. LMB in my ponds learned a long time ago to follow me around the pond banks while I was fly fishing for BG. They wait for the released BG to grab it for dinner. They have even figured out to not take the hooked BG but to wait for the released one that is sure to come....learning or conditioning or whatever, certainly not stupid.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cecil, have you ever tested their eyes with a stick or something that looks similar to a pole?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
When I walk out on my dock to fish the sound draws just a few small BG. When I walk out the dock with my bright yellow feed bucket, tons of all sizes come right to the top. Maybe I should get a t-shirt with a feed bucket printed on it for when I fish!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Cecil I have contemplated your problem and come up with a fine solution. Recently I had an encounter with cape buffalo in south Texas. Instead of retreating like your bass are doing they immediatly charged the jeep we were in. You and Bruce should get together and raise hybrid bass buffalo.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Freeze:
When I walk out on my dock to fish the sound draws just a few small BG. When I walk out the dock with my bright yellow feed bucket, tons of all sizes come right to the top. Maybe I should get a t-shirt with a feed bucket printed on it for when I fish!
Ryan,

I'll bet that will only work so long! \:D I think we have grossly underestimated animals. Did anyone see this?

Songbirds can learn basic grammar

Washington — The simplest grammar, long thought to be one of the skills that separate man from beast, can be taught to a common songbird, new research suggests.

Starlings learned to differentiate between a regular birdsong “sentence” and one containing a clause or another sentence of warbling, according to a study in Thursday's journal Nature. It took University of California at San Diego psychology researcher Tim Gentner a month and about 15,000 training attempts, with food as a reward, to get the birds to recognize the most basic of grammar in their own bird language.

What the experiment shows is that language and animal cognition is a lot more complicated than scientists once thought and that there is no “single magic bullet” that separates man from beast, said Jeffrey Elman, a professor of cognitive science at UCSD, who was not part of the Gentner research team.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...ry/Science/home

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by james holt:
Cecil I have contemplated your problem and come up with a fine solution. Recently I had an encounter with cape buffalo in south Texas. Instead of retreating like your bass are doing they immediatly charged the jeep we were in. You and Bruce should get together and raise hybrid bass buffalo.
Nope I'm a fish fanatic and I think Bruce is too. Thanks for the suggestion though. ;\)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM