Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 710 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
the bark being underwater or the topsoil being wet all the time? The reason I ask is that I have a water oak on the middle point (refer to my previous post for picturs) that the water line will come up to the base of the tree but not cover it. Half of the root system will be below dry topsoil and the other half will be under water. Will this kill the tree. Can you build up dirt around the base of the tree to prevent water from reaching the bark?

Man, I'm full of questions tonight. Thanks for any input.

I started with nothing, and still have most of it.
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
mr. fulmer, different species of trees have different tolerances to saturated root conditions. most oaks will not tolerate saturated root conditions, although i am not familiar with arkansas oak species. my guess is that yer tree will survive for some time but eventually die assuming yer pond level doesnt change much.

piling up dirt on the roots will probably only exacerbate a bad situation for the oak. water will still find its way through. most oaks need the majority of their shallow roots in dry soil for proper nutrient uptake and air exchange. when oaks are weakened they then become more susceptible to a variety of fungal diseases as well (such as oak root fungus).

my little input...

GSF are people too!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
cm,

You should plan on losing any tree that will experinece a drastic change in soil moisture content...at least that is what I experienced.

I have a couple of large sweet gums that are still kicking, but the jury is stil out if they will make it long term.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
Alligator, how long since your pond filled, and how close to the bank are the sweet gums? I'm just now marking the shoreline of Cindy's pond so I'm deciding which trees go and which stay.

If I want to save a tree that sits on the proposed shoreline, couldn't I just have the contractor extend the line out creating a point so that the tree is 10 feet from the water?

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks for the input. I just didn't have any information on the subject. I know everyone has seen trees growing on banks of creeks, on lake shorelines, on an island, etc. My question is how do these trees make it where others don't. The species I'm talking about is the willow oak. This particular tree is full grown and probably 50 years old.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/quercus/phellos.htm

GW, those were my thoughts as well. If you could just build up the dirt and keep the water off the base of the tree, it might work. But these guys have a lot more experience than I do so I guess I'll just plan on losing that tree in the future.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
CW,

Exactly what DIED said in general.

In particular, I have seen many water oaks (quercus nigra)with their roots half in and half out of the water that grow just fine. If the roots on the dry bank are partially exposed, you can usually cover them with an inch or 2 of light soil with no ill effects. Deep soil or heavy clay will slowly starve them for oxygen. I have 3-4 water oaks on my land right now that have their roots partially or totally submerged for nearly half the year. I don't think the various red oaks would survive that, but the water, scrub, and live oaks seem to tolerate it quite well.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
GW,

My pond has been full for 6 months.

The Sweet Gum is right on the water line. That particular part of my pond landscape was occasionally "marshy" before I flooded it so perhaps it had alrready aclimated to the wet soil? Its a really large tree.

To another point on oaks above. I lost a nice red oak that I considered totally out of the water line. Go Figure.

I also have a couple of water oaks hanging in there with at least some of their root system in the water line.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Your post got me to thinking...I lost 3 of 4 cedar elms on my other pond. I never thought the cedar elms would die so easily. They are usually hard to kill and must be dug up. I suspect too much water + distirbing the soil got to them...

G
GW Offline
Lunker
Lunker
G
For the type of appearance I'm going for with Cindy's pond I wouldn't be upset if one of these shoreline trees died. If it stayed erect I figure the woodpeckers and other birds will use it, if it falls in the pond I've got structure. Am I missing something here?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My pond has some of its bank covered in small trees, mainly elms, toothache trees, and willows, which have all survived up to this point. Most are right at the water level and experience flucuating water levels that will reach up to a foot above their base for short periods during the year. Willow oaks are tough trees, they are very drought resistant, but that is the opposite of what we are trying to find out. Don't know what will happen, if it does make it growth may be stunted, and it may hang in there for a few years, slowly dying.

1/4 acre pond in the River Valley.
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
cm, after reading the link - looks like a willow oak has a fighting chance to live by your pond...what the heck, wait and see, if it dies, cut it down. no problem.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Woa, I just noticed you was asking about a willow oak. Sorry!

Willow oaks have a short lifespan in my parts. They start dropping limbs at 40-50 years, and are all but dead by 60. But they seem to tolerate wet areas just fine.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks for the information. I think I'll leave this tree alone and see what happens.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass