Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,985
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,535
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bobbss, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, Steve Clubb, jmartin, KenHorton, Swamp_Yankee, Freunb02, phinfan), 1,282 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
If anyone has specific experience with weeds in a northern pond, it would be interesting to hear about it.
Dwight - stay away from the eurasian milfoil, that is unless most of your pond is deeper than 8ft, then it shouldn't be a big problem then. We currently have aquatic vegetation growing from the bottom all the way to the surface during the summer in all areas of our pond that are less than 7-8ft deep. They grow in deeper water too, they just don't quite make it to the surface though. \:\(

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Dave,

That Norm Kopecky sounds like a very nice man. Perhaps I will meet him one day. It shouldn’t be too hard to do since we are only about 35 minutes from Sioux Falls.

On the carp issue, I suppose they have a problem rooting around in that hard old gravel bottom. I like the thought of them not reproducing!

<<<< You said: It's always something. >>>>

“If it isn’t something, it is something else!” Gilda Radner on SNL many years ago.

<<<< You wondered: I wonder if your native vegetation has already had plenty of opportunity to establish, and you may already have the appropriate submergent plants? >>>>

I will have to study that further in the spring and also determine what the current submergent plant species may be.

Wow 500 posts! If they have all been as informative as the threads I have followed with Dave Willus involvement, then you should get a gold star added to your five blues!

Balance in all things Pond! Dwight
\:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Theo -- many thanks. We are brothers Heinlein. Not many people even know what that means any more! \:\)

Dwight -- many thanks. Yes, you need to develop a little interaction with Norm. Hopefully, he'll pick up on the sore back thread. \:\) By the way, Gilda just did that routine a couple of years back, right? We're not getting older??

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Steve,

Here in Minnesota, I would probably be subject to imprisonment if I purposely planted eurasian milfoil!

If, I were a Bass though, I would have a different outlook…..

Bremer Pond Weather
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
In connection with and in celebration of Dave's 500th I have copied what I said in an earlier post. \:\) \:\)

I will say this without hesitation -- this forum does not know how lucky it is to have Dave Willis as a member and advisor. If you do any research on fish you will quickly run into a bunch of studies and papers which Dave wrote or took part in on a huge range of fish species and topics. He co-authored the best selling textbook -- Fisheries Techniques 2nd edition and is greatly respected at the top of his professional organization , AFS. There are not many fisheries biologists that in my opinion can match Dave. That is why he is one of a very few who are asked to teach the next generation of fisheries biologists. Dave may have/want/need to be humble about it but I don't have to be. Dave I hope this was not out of line or an embarrassment to you and apologize in advance.

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Dave – I think that particular Gilda routine was 2 years ago. As my life experience has converged with my singularity, I find that my years are approximately 10950 days long!

Bremer Pond Weather
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dwight :

The only place I have encountered the use of the word/concept singularity is in quantum physics by Stephen Hawking.

So I looked it up and :

Singularity may refer to:

mathematical singularity - a point where a mathematical function goes to infinity or is in certain other ways ill-behaved.

gravitational singularity (physics) - an infinity occurring in an astrophysical model, involving infinite curvature (a mathematical singularity) in the space/time continuum, namely black holes, white holes and worm holes.

technological singularity - a theoretical point in the development of a scientific civilization at which technological progress accelerates into infinity or beyond prediction. This is believed to occur when artificial intelligence or intelligence amplification reaches a certain level.

Singularity (operating system) - an operating system research project by Microsoft.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dang it, Ewest! How dare you embarass me by saying all those nice things! \:\) Seriously, you of all people know how much more I have learned here than given here.

Actually, it was Bruce Condello who made me think of something special for a specially numbered post. I didn't notice it at the time, but his world famous "Ray" post was done in honor of his 1,000th post! I thought that was a nice sentiment.

Of course, the way I am going, I'll hit 1,000 in about 3 more years.

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
ewest:

You are a very insightful person. That is exactly what I was talking about!

Singularity:

1. The quality of being one of a kind; "that singularity distinguished him from all his cohorts"
2. An oddity by virtue of being remarkable or unusual

I know nothing of quantum physics as it relates to increased Bass size, though I willing to learn!
;\)

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dr. Willis wrote: "Theo -- many thanks. We are brothers Heinlein. Not many people even know what that means any more!"

If you're talking about geek-nerd-sci-fi-trekkie- Starship Trooper stuff.......

....then Yeah. I know exactly what you mean!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Well I don't You guys are talking way over my head!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Ric:

When friends congregate together in a mutually beneficial convergence of online idea exchange there is an excellent chance that a singularity may form that benefits everyone involved.

Possibly there could be a little BS here and there too!

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Theo -- looks like we've got another in the fold! Sunil, you, and I -- down the Glory Road! Thanks for chiming in on the sci fi/geek thing, Sunil. It's been a good night. \:\)

Lunker
Lunker
"HAVE WADERS - WILL TRAVEL"

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
Dave – I hope you managed to return from Rapid Town in a condition that is within normally expected parameters!

ewest – Do you foresee the approximate time frame in which you will begin to assist me in learning the relationship between quantum physics and increased Bass size in a pond environment?

Sunil – Some are classics and some are forgettable!

Revolt in 2100
Methuselah's Children
Sixth Column
Orphans of the Sky
Waldo & Magic
Rocket Ship Galileo
Beyond this Horizon
Space Cadet
Red Planet
The Man Who Sold the Moon
Farmer in the Sky
Between Planets
The Puppet Masters
The Rolling Stones
Assignment in Eternity
Starman Jones
The Green Hills of Earth
The Star Beast
Tunnel in the Sky
Time for the Stars
The Door into Summer
Double Star
Citizen of the Galaxy
Have Space Suit--Will Travel
The Menace From Earth
Starship Troopers
The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag
Stranger in a Strange Land
Podkayne of Mars
Glory Road
Farnham's Freehold
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
The Past through Tomorrow

After 1967, I got serious and went to college to play beer baseball!

Theo – Could you fill me in on “chinquapin or sac-a-laut”, or perhaps point me to those posts?

It is colder than a WT here. I don’t care as I am in my warm office watching Daytona racing and contemplating the enjoyment of fishing in open water rather than through 18 or more inches of ice as the low temp approaches 15-20 degrees below zero this evening.

Life is good!

Dwight

Bremer Pond Weather
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dwight :

I can help you on that about the same time as light escapes from the singularity of a black hole. As in, according to Hawking , never. The reason being that the only context in which I have the smallest understanding of quantum physics is in the formation of time and the universe as per the above book/person. See below.

gravitational singularity (physics) - an infinity occurring in an astrophysical model, involving infinite curvature (a mathematical singularity) in the space/time continuum, namely black holes, white holes and worm holes.

I do know that the laws of physics apply to all things and that good mathematicians can figure out the formulas. I have witnessed this as a matter of fact, in a quantum way with respect to bass in my pond when a large one proved that my line was not strong enough at the singularity to restrain it from a light speed escape. This is relative physics as it applies to LMB ponds. \:D

Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
ewest:

You are much more aware or the quantum universe environment than I!

That was a perfect answer to a complex singularity equation that had only been remotely discussed or even considered by most Bass fishermen.

I now know that a light line that allows a large Bass to escape to a higher level of existence is a very good outcome!
\:D \:D \:\)

Bremer Pond Weather
Lunker
Lunker
Stephen Hawking is indeed a great mind and a fitting successor to Steinmetz. Not many know of his contributions to extreme sports: see here.

Dwight:

That's a pretty comprehensive list of early to middlin' Heinlein. I also enjoy his later works ("Friday" and "The Number of the Beast"), his general fiction ("A Bathroom of Her Own" has a wonderful description of local politics), and non-fiction (his essays "Inside Intourist" and "Pravda Means Truth," written following his tour of the USSR, are required reading for my kids before they are old enough to handle Solzhenitsyn).

Chinquapin and Sac-au-Lait (not exactly sure of the spelling; literally, "sack of milk") are very Southern (both Louisiana, IIRC) for RES and Crappie, respectively. Dr. Dave knows far more about either of those than I do (indeed, more than most of us likely do), but probably has not posted about them under those names.

It's cold enough here to stay inside except for forays for firewood, but after reading of your balmy MN temps, I believe I will go out and work on a tan some today.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Boy, anyone who gets that deep into Heinlein must live in cold country. I guess Louis L'Amour must be pretty meaningless to igloo dwellers.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
I have admittedly limited my Louis L'Amour exposure to adaptations with Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot. I am shamed. \:\(

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hang in there, Theo. You're making a good start and show potential.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Boy, talk about a hijacked thread.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dwight :

Excellent reply. The beauty of the event was that the beast, on its second jump returned the lesson in physics by returning the gift (lure) which made a point (as in a hole in my shirt and arm) that it could return the gift quicker than I gave it. \:o We both went away from the encounter, each to our own higher singularity , with a lesson in physics and a hole in our skin. Life is good indeed!! \:D \:D \:\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dave :

I would suggest (in defense) the application of the principle (rule) that when the starter of the thread changes topics (from structure and pond weeds in a northern pond to Gilda and singularity), as they have every right to do , then others who reply are not guilty of hijacking. What do you think ?

Theo, Hawking , as extreme sport, would before bed, get out of the chair and force himself to crawl in any way possible up and down the stairs to stay fit and challenge himself to fight on against his disease. The product of a superior mind which he did not have before he became sick. BTW the second pic at the link is crazy!!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Heck, Eric, I'm in favor of hijacking threads anytime it brings levity.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:12 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:04 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away