Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,010
Posts558,491
Members18,529
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
5 members (Boondoggle, Snipe, Fishingadventure, teehjaeh57, phinfan), 817 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
SHORTY laments...
 Quote:
6-7 years ago I stopped in and bought some "real craw" scent in bottle on my lunch break, needless to say I got a little bit on my hands while checking it out in the truck before I went back into work. I could still smell it even after washing up well. An hour later the gal in the cubicle in front of me stated, "I don't know what it is, but I have this real wierd craving for seafood, I just can't figure out why
SHORTY!! YOU ANIMAL!! (or should I say Crawdad?)
(good story...evoked a true LOL) \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes, it's the new deoderant stick by Mennen, called........CHUM!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
"Old Chum" - once again I deeply regret being beaten to the punchline by Sunil. You da Man!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
When you're in High School, and you need that little extra something to help you hook a date to the prom.....

...look no further than....SCHOOL CHUM

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
KINDA serious question. For some reason this whole thread reminds me of the movie Mimic where some state biologists create a "new bug" (that is suppose to be sterile) in order to eradicate a roach infestation. Four years later people start missing in the town, and the biologists discover that the "sterile" bugs not only reproduced, but learned to adapt or mimic humans in order to go relatively unnoticed.
My question is this: In the movie the biologists discovered a pheromone gland in the giant bugs that allowed them to escape the predators because they smelled like them. Would it be possible (Hello Bill Cody?) to isolate a hormone or pheromone gland in an adult BG or LMB just prior to breeding. If so then hypothetically one could roll the lure around in the ovarian gunk and possibly attract large males of the same species.
Just a thought that has intrigued me since this thread began. Kind of a gross thought, but maybe it would work. In theory they would be attracted to the smell for breeding purposes, and get side tracked by a tasty looking lure. Then again is it even possible for a male to get side tracked once on this adventure? :p

Any thoughts?

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
How in the world did this thread, in my absence, deteriorate from a legitimate discussion about WD40, Mennon speed Chum, and crawdad lotion to this "Space Ranger" nonsense...Oh, I see, Deb posted. :rolleyes:

Yea, baby, let's go get a couple dozen oysters on the half shell and...........

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The Bingo Games just not cutting it anymore? Not getting any second looks during arts & crafts time?

That's right.........you know what you need..........VINTAGE CHUM

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
How in the world did this thread, in my absence, deteriorate from a legitimate discussion about WD40, Mennon speed Chum, and crawdad lotion to this "Space Ranger" nonsense...Oh, I see, Deb posted. :rolleyes:

Yea, baby, let's go get a couple dozen oysters on the half shell and...........
It deteriorated DUE to your absence my dear. But I was actually being serious about the hormone/pheromone thing. Has anyone ever tried or considered this as a fishing option? In theory it seems like it would work. If so then what a GREAT marketing idea. But what to call it? "A lure that sings in hormony" (ok, even I admit that one was bad). \:D

Do fish actually kiss?

Lunker
Lunker
Deb, keep in mind that with most organisms perception is always expeirenced in a multi-modal fashion. Sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell are all part of the total cues going on in the enviroment that a might attract a fish. A hormone or pheromone by itself might attract some curiosity but without the visual clues of say a female BG, it might not be enough to actually trigger the re-action you are looking for. It is the sum of "all" of the sensory cues going on that determines whether something attracts or repels a fish.

BTW - Wearing a little bit of "Old Chum" followed by invitation to go out to dinner at Red Lobster might actually work with some women. \:D

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
So basically you are saying we could dress it up real pretty (or sleazy depending on the predator), roll it around in some hormone juices, make it wiggle its tail around, and we might have a winner? \:D

Bear in mind that I am high as a kite off codiene today, so anything I post must be taken with a grain of salt. Then again a lot of writers and artists were "under the influence" when they produced some really great masterpieces. ;\)

Do fish actually kiss?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You're a high-priced attorney specializing in Mergers & Acquisitions, yet you haven't merged with or acquired anything of the opposite sex for a long time.

That's right......send your paralegal out to get you some.................POWER CHUM

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Power Chum --- In any case you use to much and this is what happens \:o You become bait !!

Not much of a spawn with that fish !!

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debra King:
Bear in mind that I am high as a kite off codiene today, so anything I post must be taken with a grain of salt. Then again a lot of writers and artists were "under the influence" when they produced some really great masterpieces. ;\)
Move over, Samuel Coleridge Taylor, Edgar Allan Poe, and Ernest "Papa" Hemingway, it's (drumroll)

Debra "Codeine" King

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
\:D
Yeh! Did you know the bottle has instructions that say "take only as directed"? I forgot to read that part.

Do fish actually kiss?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Somehow, this became my destiny thread....
I admittedly don't know squat about fish and am trying to learn and get involved in the extreme periphery of any "fish talk". So, I hear this interesting thing about how UV rays and the light spectrum can be used to stimulate predator instincts. THIS WAS MY FIRST REAL ATTEMPT TO INTRODUCE A LEGIT FISH THING!
So what happens:
It immediately turns to Stinkey Bait (no matter how many times I say that out loud, it comes out awkward :rolleyes: ) Then it twists to Stink Bait effects on humans...this includes roll-ons and aftershaves and their supporting marketing slogans. The next turn is into the back-streets of Hollywood to film some Sci-fi flick based on mutating fish hormones and pheramone glands. All this followed up by the Producer's drug induced special interest note to the viewers to warn an "R" rating due to special effects like "roll it around in some hormone juices, make it wiggle its tail around, and we might have a winner?" Oh yeah, let's not forget her research assistant from Lincoln, Dr Ruth "Shorty" Westheimer, who subtly interjects psychosexual therapeutic memoranda like "Wearing a little bit of "Old Chum" followed by invitation to go out to dinner at Red Lobster might actually work with some women." ;\)

You people don't know me, let alone the damage you are inflicting. I was on my 12th step to put all this gutteral thought and lifestyle safely into my past and move on to a clean and sober future with ponds, fish, and the frolic that they promise. Instead, I have been thrusted sharply backward to a past of debachery and unlimited irresponsibility...a past that would even scare the likes of David Lee Roth.
All I can say is:
\:D \:D That was close...THANKS \:D \:D

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob-O
Recent Posts
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/14/24 07:06 PM
Tilapia with Winterkill
by Fishingadventure - 05/14/24 06:34 PM
Repairing Dam with Culvert?