Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, JasonInOhio, KenHorton, Theo Gallus), 1,026 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I just wanted to get some feedback on my stocking plan, I have done a lot of research and just wanted to make sure I am on the right path. Thank you...

Central Indiana - Brand New Pond dug in summer of 2023
2 acre pond, 12 feet deep at its deepest.
Lots of fish structure and a very large breeding area with sand and various size fish structures.
Have two Texas Feeders on the pond, will feed Optimal Fish Food
(qty 4) dual head aerators spread out in the pond

Stocked Late Summer of 2023
100 lbs Fathead Minnows
100 lbs Golden Shiners

Stocking this late March 2024
3000 Bluegill 2"- 3"
1000 Bluegill 3"- 4"
1000 Redear 2"- 3"
12 Grass Carp

Next year early summer 2025
100 Large Mouth Bass
50 Hybrid Striped Bass

I appreciate any feedback and recommendations, but please provide reasoning for recommendations.

S
S
1., why grass carp?
2., What size bass will be stocked in 25? If less than 8", stock 2500 4-5" BG and forget the 3000 2-3".
3., I like the LMB numbers in general, size may change my mind.
4., I would be inclined to wait until fall of 25 or spring of 26 for HSB.

1 member likes this: Donatello
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree, why the Grass Carp? I don't recommend stocking them unless you have an underwater weed problem and don't want to manage the problem weeds with herbicides. If there aren't enough weeds in the pond now, they will muddy the water rooting around trying to find something, anything to eat and then trying to get underwater weeds established will be very difficult. Where in Central Indiana? We are about 30 miles S of South Bend.

Do you have spawning habitat in the pond for the different species of fish?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
OP Offline
B
I live in Whitestown, about 30 minutes north of Indianapolis.

Might wait on the grass carp then and see if I have a problem. Was just told to get a head start on the grass as most ponds in our area do have a problem due to run off from farm land; i.e. high phosphate.

I have alot of small and large size structures in the breeding area.
LINK BELOW
https://www.facebook.com/100003043124971/videos/418978183856392/

S
S
Size of fish (bass) planning to stock?
I see the group you posted on, I'm on there as well, you have to be very careful of using the info you get there-or anywhere for that matter. We can give you some very sound advice here if you share your goals/intensions.

2 members like this: Donatello, jludwig
B
OP Offline
B
Snipe,

Sorry, missed your post.

I have not decided on size yet. I guess it would depend on what is available at the time, and the cost.
Goals are to have a good LMB and HSB fishing pond. Don't want catfish or anything else.

Would it be a concern to add the HSB a year after the LMB? Wouldn't they just be food for the LMB, ofcourse depending on the size of the HSB?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
bstone - the advice here is not biased nor trying to sell you anything. Advice here comes from very knowledgeable and experienced pond owners and professional pond managers. When you provide a definitive goal for the fishery, we can then provide information and options for you to make some wise and important decisions.to achieve your goals. Pond management is not just about adding the right fish. Most importantly the long term quality of the fishery is about wise and proper management of the fish that were stocked. Important topics are: 1. food chain mgmt, 2, water quality aka Happy Water, 3, the proper amount of managed habitat, and 4, the correct harvest to keep the fish growing well at the correct balance of numbers comprising the carrying capacity and standing crop.

Note- You have good diversity of structures. However I think a lot of the habitat you installed tended to be IMO too spread out - separate units. Good habitat in my concept is more grouped together similar to natural large areas of weed beds or shorelines of fallen wood - trees. Placement of your structure is more focused on fish attractors as separate structures rather than groupings or cities of connected structures together that imitate refuge areas such as weed beds to better improve production and increase standing crop while also attracting fish. Weed beds are in most cases the best overall productive habitats in lakes.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
2 members like this: Donatello, jludwig
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
bstone - the advice here is not biased nor trying to sell you anything. Advice here comes from very knowledgeable and experienced pond owners and professional pond managers. When you provide a definitive goal for the fishery, we can then provide information and options for you to make some wise and important decisions.to achieve your goals. Pond management is not just about adding the right fish. Most importantly the long term quality of the fishery is about wise and proper management of the fish that were stocked. Important topics are: 1. food chain mgmt, 2, water quality aka Happy Water, 3, the proper amount of managed habitat, and 4, the correct harvest to keep the fish growing well at the correct balance of numbers comprising the carrying capacity and standing crop.

Note- You have good diversity of structures. However I think a lot of the habitat you installed tended to be IMO too spread out - separate units. Good habitat in my concept is more grouped together similar to natural large areas of weed beds or shorelines of fallen wood - trees. Placement of your structure is more focused on fish attractors as separate structures rather than groupings or cities of connected structures together that imitate refuge areas such as weed beds to better improve production and increase standing crop while also attracting fish. Weed beds are in most cases the best overall productive habitats in lakes.

I appreciate the comments, thank you!
I might be able to still move some of the structure in the spawning area, as your comments make sense.
I appreciate the advice.

J
J
Originally Posted by bstone261
Snipe,

Sorry, missed your post.

I have not decided on size yet. I guess it would depend on what is available at the time, and the cost.
Goals are to have a good LMB and HSB fishing pond. Don't want catfish or anything else.

Would it be a concern to add the HSB a year after the LMB? Wouldn't they just be food for the LMB, ofcourse depending on the size of the HSB?

Can you define good in more detail? It is rather vague and everyone has a different understanding of good.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by jludwig
Snipe,

Sorry, missed your post.

Can you define good in more detail? It is rather vague and everyone has a different understanding of good.

The bigger the fish the better, I would rather catch a few large bass then catch a bunch of small bass all day. What every HSB I pull out I would replace, but the LMB I plan on pulling out 40-60 lbs per year after two to three years from being stocked.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
See ladder stocking of HSB into existing LMB population.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=347977&page=1

Assume you saw the mortality rates for stocking into a LMB pond.

Here is the data and the lost long Bruce/George HSB thread with ladder stocking.

Bruce :

I'd estimate risk of predation from largemouth as follows:

5 inch wiper--80% over one year in presence of LMB
6 inch wiper--65% over one year in presence of LMB
7 inch wiper--45% over one year in presence of LMB
8 inch wiper--15% over one year in presence of LMB
9 inch wiper--negligible mortality.

Your loss rates would IMO be much lower if all you have is larger adult HSB.

Last edited by ewest; 03/12/24 01:24 PM.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by ewest
See ladder stocking of HSB into existing LMB population.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=347977&page=1

Assume you saw the mortality rates for stocking into a LMB pond.

Here is the data and the lost long Bruce/George HSB thread with ladder stocking.

Bruce :

I'd estimate risk of predation from largemouth as follows:

5 inch wiper--80% over one year in presence of LMB
6 inch wiper--65% over one year in presence of LMB
7 inch wiper--45% over one year in presence of LMB
8 inch wiper--15% over one year in presence of LMB
9 inch wiper--negligible mortality.

Your loss rates would IMO be much lower if all you have is larger adult HSB.

Great Information, thank you!

B
OP Offline
B
Just got the bluegill and redear delivered today.
A few questions:

Water is 55F

How long before the BG and RE start eating pellets?

Should I start with just hand throwing some 2x a day by my 2 Texas Feeders, then once they start taking the food then start up the auto feeders?

I am starting out with Optimal #3, then going to Optimal #4, then to BG Jr once they get bigger.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Ladder stocking HSB into existing LMB population. For the percent survival of HSB into LMB, all those interested we have to remember that if HSB are stocked one year later the LMB will only be 8"-12" long and they are still focused on eating minnows, 1.5"-2" BG. HSB as 4"-6 " stockers will IMO have higher survival rates. This assumes the stockers are healthy and properly handled. Historically I have had trouble getting good HSB survival of stockers due to HSB do not are not good at tolerating holding, hauling and transport. IMO I would buy a several extra to account for various causes of loss. You can always remove excess HSB when they get to 14"-16" as these are the best sizes for eating. Less red meat along the skin side of the fillet.

Feeding new BG-RES. Yes I would hand feed once or twice a day until you see them eating pellets. If they are small 2"-3" it will take several days to a week or more for them to find the feeding area. Fish that small tend to initially feed on invertebrates and large plankton. I think it is initially a good idea to use a long stick or pole to do a little water splashing in the area where you feed. If you have a dock then bang lightly on the dock. This alerts the fish as to activity and does a fair job of attracting them to the area. Minnows will show up first to the pellet feeding. They attract other fish. A good way to start feeding pellets is to get or make a feeding ring. A quick ring is a hula-hoop anchored with a cord tied to a brick and works to keep the feed from blowing to shore. Ring can be made from PVC pipe or black poly water line. For my feeding rings I install a wind baffle around the inside of the ring to keep more pellets inside the ring on windy days and fish splashing. .

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/13/24 08:10 PM.

J
J
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Ladder stocking HSB into existing LMB population. For the percent survival of HSB into LMB, all those interested we have to remember that if HSB are stocked one year later the LMB will only be 8"-12" long and they are still focused on eating minnows, 1.5"-2" BG. HSB as 4"-6 " stockers will IMO have higher survival rates.

+1. I agree.

A 5in HSB weighs 7.5% of a 12" LMB. Very unlikely to be consumed any 12" LMB. A 4" weighs 3.5% of a 12" LMB. Though it is conceivably twice as easy to consume than a 5" it still lies more than 2 standard deviations away from the most common proportion at 0.88% which is presumably the most energetically favorable. These sizes should have good survival with Bill's timing and LMB limited to 12" in length.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

B
OP Offline
B
Local fishery that I am using sells the HSB at 4-6". They also have the LMB in 4-6". So the plan would be to get 100 LMB and 60 HSB in the same 4-6" range late next year.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Local fishery that I am using sells the HSB at 4-6". They also have the LMB in 4-6". So the plan would be to get 100 LMB and 60 HSB in the same 4-6" range late next year.

Ask the hatchery if they usually have that size LMB available in the Fall. Fish aren't like canned goods. Once they are sold, they might not be available for a year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by esshup

Ask the hatchery if they usually have that size LMB available in the Fall. Fish aren't like canned goods. Once they are sold, they might not be available for a year.

ok, I will thxs.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
HSB availability late in the year are sometimes or often sold out , thus not HSB are available in Fall. Verify with the fish farm for Fall your planned delivery of HSB. You might have to adjust timing of the stockings.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Just to drive that point home, I called a hatchery in Arkansas today for 2.5"-3.5" RES. They are already sold out and all that is left is 1":-2.25" They won't have any 2.5"-3.5" until July at the earliest.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
OP Offline
B
So I got the bluegill and redear delivered a few weeks ago. I now have a blue heron that has taken up residence at my pond. He is getting the very few dead fish, and maybe a few of the ones I see close the edge that are about to die. Again, very few fish that have died or look sick. My question is should I be concerned about the healthy fish? Can the blue heron get the healthy fish? Banks are 3:1 down to 12 feet deep. I do have a spawning area that is 3 feet deep but has a lot of fish structures for hiding. Thought about getting a decoy, anyone have success with one? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So I got the bluegill and redear delivered a few weeks ago. I now have a blue heron that has taken up residence at my pond. He is getting the very few dead fish, and maybe a few of the ones I see close the edge that are about to die. Again, very few fish that have died or look sick. My question is should I be concerned about the healthy fish? Can the blue heron get the healthy fish? Banks are 3:1 down to 12 feet deep. I do have a spawning area that is 3 feet deep but has a lot of fish structures for hiding. Thought about getting a decoy, anyone have success with one? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Yes, the Blue Heron can get the healthy fish. I have had them stab Rainbow Trout that were 14" long and Largemouth Bass that were 12"-14" in length also. I have never seen one eat a dead fish. If you get a decoy, get a swan decoy.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
D
Snipe think I know where you are talking about! holly crap there is so much misinformation and people who act like they know.....it is awful. At least most people on here are basing their advice on science, research, and experience or they generally just keep quiet and LEARN.

5 Acre Pond- Ave Depth 7 ft- Max Depth 18 Ft.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I have never seen one eat a dead fish."

Years ago, at my main pond, a Great Blue Heron was standing on the shore. We kept getting closer and closer to it in my boat. We were about 15' away, and it still hadn't left, so I threw a dead golden shiner to it, and it ate it.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I wouldn’t recommend that you or anyone else break the law and kill the heron. But, I might just………..

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!