Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,991
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (bmicek, nvcdl, jmartin, Sunil, Dave Davidson1), 1,172 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Freg Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I dug myself a little mini pond of roughly a thousand gallons to try to raise some golden shiners in. Put a 5 lb box of brooders in there from Anderson minnow, gave them plenty of habitat and I'm wondering what to do once I start seeing fry. I would assume the adults will eat the young? Would it be wise to try to catch the fry and stock those directly into my main pond and hope for the best, or would you pull the brooders out and allow the fry to grow in the mini pond? Thanks for opinions in advance!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pull the majority of the brooders out. Feed what's left in there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've never had a brood pond for any kind of fish, so take this with a grain of salt.

I've stocked 100's of lbs of adult Golden shiners in my main pond, and at other times a few hundred thousand Golden shiner frye in my main pond also (note units. lbs. vs. actual live fish) For whatever reason, I've seen the best recruitment of Golden shiners after the frye stockings.

So, to add to esshups comments, I'd say to also net out a good amount of the frye to the main pond.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
Freg Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for your responses. So you would leave a handful of the brooders in there all season and just assume that they're not going to eat too much of the fry? I'm guessing it would take a while for the fry grow to reproduction size. I do have a lot of aquatic vegetation in my main pond for cover, but it's only 1/8 acre pond and I have a lot of predators. I haven't had much luck with shiners in the past so that's why I'm raising them in a brood pond

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Exactly. That's what I'd do and not worry about it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
According to Lusk, only about 10% of the eggs laid, hatched, etc survive to get large enough to spawn. Natural mortality and predation are to blame. But, that keeps the water from polluting. Your initial stocking should be better, assuming you feed, but it’s not 100%.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Freg Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I would not have guess it was even 10%. To my knowledge I have not had any shiners successfully spawn in my main pond in the past. I'm feeding in both my brood pond and my main pond. Once they spawn in the brood pond I plan on removing all but a couple dozen and then transferring the fry as well. Hopefully that'll increase my chances of getting them somewhat established.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Freg
I would not have guess it was even 10%. To my knowledge I have not had any shiners successfully spawn in my main pond in the past. I'm feeding in both my brood pond and my main pond. Once they spawn in the brood pond I plan on removing all but a couple dozen and then transferring the fry as well. Hopefully that'll increase my chances of getting them somewhat established.

Do you have the proper spawning substrate for them in the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
Freg Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have water lilies, cattails, hydrilla, couple pallets, and a couple of large brush piles. From what I've read that should give them a lot of good options.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Freg
I have water lilies, cattails, hydrilla, couple pallets, and a couple of large brush piles. From what I've read that should give them a lot of good options.

Shiners broadcast their eggs on underwater vegetation in shallow water (typically 24" or less). A customer that has a self sustaining population in his pond always has flooded grass that is about 12" underwater when the shiners start their spawn in May. The Hydrilla would work if it's in shallow water or growing up to within a foot or so of the surface and dense.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
J
Freg,

You mentioned only 1000 gallons for this forage pond. If it's 2 ft deep, it is only 67 sq/ft. If so, the weight of brooder stocked is very excessive and you should not expect much if any fry production you can harvest. You may have just misspoke on the water volume, it would be very good to understand the actual dimensions of your forage pond (Area and depth). Given the small size, you may be better off collecting eggs that can be transferred to the main pond or hatched and then stocked as swim ups to the main pond. There is an optimum stocking density for egg production. You may presently exceed that density.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

F
Freg Offline OP
OP Offline
F
It is only about a thousand gallons. It's a 10 ft by 10 ft lined pond that is roughly 1.5 to 2.5 ft deep. I laid the top of a cedar tree down in there as well as some wood planks and gravel. The vegetation I was mentioning in my previous post was about the main pond (1/8th acre)

F
Freg Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Per the recommendations of others in this thread, I think my game plan is that once I get a hatch I will transfer at least 100 out of the 130 brooders to my main pond as well as most of the fry. If I never get shiners established in my main pond that's okay, I just wanted to have a way of breeding the shiners to at least supplementally stock into the pond as an additional food source.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt