Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (jmartin, Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24), 1,221 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone. First time caller here. Looking for some ideas about a safety issue…

We have a pond build at our cabin in BC Canada. It is using rpe liner as the site is not suitable otherwise. Capacity about 325,000 gallons primary use is for water storage and fire protection. The installation is done at this point and we’ll start filling once spring takes hold up here.

There’s a problem though in that the rpe liner is bloody slippery when wet. The slope of the sidewalls are about 35-40 degrees and it’s hard getting out even when dry I am concerned about wild life falling in and getting stuck once the pond is filled and we start to get a bit of algae accumulating on the side walls. Same concern for curious people.

Worst case I can erect a fence around the pond but this obviously detracts from the aesthetics. My other thought was to run a fairly wide chain link fence around the perimeter of the pond (the fence would terminate below the water line and you could grab onto the fencing w your hands and feet to get out). I’m wondering if there are better solutions though??

We plan to put a dock into the pond w a proper step to get out too but this wouldn’t work for wildlife. The residence is part time and it could be vacant for weeks at a time…

Anyone solve this one?

Tyvm

Stephen

Attached Images
f00d5b4f-c125-4791-be68-0d3e8567f48d.jpeg
F
F
Here in western Oklahoma , concern of wildlife falling into steel and fiberglass watering tanks. 2 rails with expanded metal between the rails that small critters and birds can easily crawl out on. Maybe, and I'm not on site, but maybe get idea's going. 3 2x4's in parallel , max 32"'s edge to edge with one in center , tie all 3 together with expanded metal , then cover with old used carpet ? Build 4 of them, one for each side ? Possibility ?

1 member likes this: 4CornersPuddle
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Congrats on the new pond, Sparky!

Most of the people on the forum use their liner-based ponds for fish or human recreation. Therefore, the liner is usually covered with earth materials to allow for plant growth (in a fishing pond) or beach sand (for a swimming pond).

Further, the material covering the liner serves as protection from the liner being punctured.

However, your sides in the background of the photo look too steep to hold material.

The usual solution is to design the pond with one shallow bank. However, that option is probably closed since the pond is full constructed. Is there a shallower slope in the foreground of the photo?

If so, you might ask your liner company what kind of material they typically put on top of the liners in your area?

If steep all around, then I think your idea for some type of mechanical construct for an exit ramp is your best idea to avoid an ugly fence. And a fence would have to be pretty tall to keep out deer if there was a drought and you were one of the few water sources left in the area.

S
OP Offline
S
Fishingadventue -good thoughts on a barrier almost like a cattle guard I’ll talk to the guys about this one. This idea might have issues with snow cover but once the snow gets going we think the pond should freeze over within a couple of weeks…

Fishinrod-the liner we have is originally designed for oilfield use (but rated for potable) and is very tough. All sides have same slope. That said I was thinking of putting a landscape fabric around the edge which coincidentally has better grip maybe that’s part of the answer in conjunction with my chain link idea…

Tyvm for the feedback guys much appreciated I’ll come back w some photos in a few months once we get it done up…

F
F
Sorry, not clear. drop these into the water, so coons. deer , birds, etc. can climb onto the carpet surface and walk out on it. 32" wide from bottom to top , so that what ever the water level, the "ramp" is at water level. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Usual installation (unless it's a temp installation) is to cover the liner with 12" of soil. Use a tracked vehicle, cover liner as the dirt is placed with the equipment. You cannot have equipment to liner contact or you will be patching the liner. That lengthens the life of the liner by protecting it from UV radiation and also allows for plant growth and ease in getting in/out of the pond.

Anything you put on the liner to help get critters or people out of there has a chance of puncturing the liner unless it's smooth. Chain link, etc. all can puncture the liner at the edges of the chain link.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!