Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 778 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
New pond continues to fill with water. In early spring, we had a 6-week dry spell where the pond level remained pretty constant. Many shoreline grasses/plants grew up strong around the perimeter in the spoils. I don't know exactly the species of the plants and how water-tolerant they are.

After a very wet summer, the pond level is up another 18 inches or so. Much of the grass is now partially to fully submerged.

If this trend continues, will the grasses perpetually in the water eventually die off? I hope some do, in order the open up the shoreline.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think it depends on what type of plants they are and how much the water level fluctuates.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Knobber, do you know how deep the unwanted plants are? I raise and drop a small pond of mine, and grasses sometimes die, but the stalk remains. I would think they'll drown out, but like Sunil said, it depends.

AL

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Most perennial grasses will begin to die off after being submerged in water for a few days. A few species of true terrestrial grasses can survive a fair bit longer.

Of course there are lots of other plants out there, including shore line plants that can handle fluctuating water levels and long periods of immersion.

Hopefully, most of that stuff that is bothering you will be dead within two weeks?

P.S. I like the pond and how green your property is currently. The reflection of your red shed in the pond water is also a nice touch!

K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by FishinRod
P.S. I like the pond and how green your property is currently. The reflection of your red shed in the pond water is also a nice touch!

Hey, thanks! The grass around the pond and up the hill was just planted 2 weeks ago. The barn reflection in the photo was just by chance!

I will try to ID the grasses and check depths a little more carefully.

Last edited by Knobber; 09/12/23 04:41 PM.
K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Sunil
I think it depends on what type of plants they are and how much the water level fluctuates.

The predominant plant looks to be rice cutgrass, which prefers wet, fertile, silty, soil. It gets aggressive in disturbed wetlands, which my renovated pond is.

Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Knobber, do you know how deep the unwanted plants are? I raise and drop a small pond of mine, and grasses sometimes die, but the stalk remains. I would think they'll drown out, but like Sunil said, it depends.

They are growing anywhere from 0 to 30 inches of water. Too early to tell on this new pond how much the water level will fluctuate.

I think this grass is here to stay. It is just a matter of the depth of water in which it can tolerate.

Last edited by Knobber; 09/16/23 07:05 AM.
R
R
I have rice cutgrass growing in over 3' of water, and happy there. It looks to me that you may also have cattails which can spread quickly by rhizomes and completely cover your shoreline if you let them. Looks nice, good luck.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Knobber,

I can't remember - what fish are currently in the pond?

If you have undesirable plants that are going to flourish under the existing conditions, then the best time to address the problem is yesterday!

Such plants are only going to drop more seeds, spread more runners, establish better root systems, etc. in your pond.

I would accelerate your plan to identify which plants are growing in that invasive strip. Once you identify most of them, I would then start a new thread in the "Controlling unwanted plants" sub-forum.

There are several pond management experts that typically reply in those threads. They can tell you exactly the right herbicide to target your plants. Specific targeting is the most important thing IMO for wiping out invasive plants.

If you have plenty of water available for your pond, then you could even drain it 1-2 feet so those plants are completely exposed. Then treat heavy with your herbicide while getting very little directly into the pond water. Wait a few days for the herbicide that landed on soil to degrade, and then re-flood your pond.

(That should preserve your existing fish. However, you should probably list all of the existing aquatic life in your pond when you open your new thread.)

Originally Posted by Knobber
Originally Posted by Sunil

The predominant plant looks to be rice cutgrass, which prefers wet, fertile, silty, soil. It gets aggressive in disturbed wetlands, which my renovated pond is.

Originally Posted by FireIsHot

They are growing anywhere from 0 to 30 inches of water. Too early to tell on this new pond who much the water level will fluctuate.

I think this grass is here to stay. It is just a matter of the depth of water in which it can tolerate.

Gotcha. Rod beat me to it. Really nice looking property.

AL

1 member likes this: Knobber
K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Retired on 40
I have rice cutgrass growing in over 3' of water, and happy there. It looks to me that you may also have cattails which can spread quickly by rhizomes and completely cover your shoreline if you let them. Looks nice, good luck.

Good to know. Thanks, Ro40. Yes, cattails are mixed in as well. Also some bulrush and Bur Marigold, but I like those plants! I planted two patches of pickerelweed, so I want to avoid killing them.

Last edited by Knobber; 09/13/23 11:28 AM.
K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Knobber,

I can't remember - what fish are currently in the pond?

If you have undesirable plants that are going to flourish under the existing conditions, then the best time to address the problem is yesterday!

Such plants are only going to drop more seeds, spread more runners, establish better root systems, etc. in your pond.

I would accelerate your plan to identify which plants are growing in that invasive strip. Once you identify most of them, I would then start a new thread in the "Controlling unwanted plants" sub-forum.

There are several pond management experts that typically reply in those threads. They can tell you exactly the right herbicide to target your plants. Specific targeting is the most important thing IMO for wiping out invasive plants.

If you have plenty of water available for your pond, then you could even drain it 1-2 feet so those plants are completely exposed. Then treat heavy with your herbicide while getting very little directly into the pond water. Wait a few days for the herbicide that landed on soil to degrade, and then re-flood your pond.

(That should preserve your existing fish. However, you should probably list all of the existing aquatic life in your pond when you open your new thread.)

Thanks 'Rod.

Only FHM are currently in the pond. I want to add RBT in the next few weeks.

I have been doing a lot of reading/shopping. I am pretty sure that a glyphosate is needed on those emergent plants like cutgrass and cattails. Something like Aquaneat. I live close to the PondGuy/Airmax headquarters, and they have glyphosate product called "Shoreline Defense."

H
H
I use CattPlex with a surfacant, safe for fish and keeps cat tails out of my ponds fine. Have used it for years and have been very pleased with it. Cat tails go yellow a few days after spraying and die clear into root system.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When killing cattails, it's best to spray them in the Fall. Don't forget to remove the catkins before they blow apart and scatter new seeds all over your pond. Cut them off, shove them in a plastic bag and put them in the trash. I collect them in a 5 gal bucket as I cut them off the plants, then dump that bucket into a heavy duty garbage bag.

Catplex is just a 53% glyphosate, so any other pond rated glyphosate will do just as well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
G
One question is, is this the full level of the pond? or will it fill up more, that will submerge them even more? which will make a difference in their survival chances.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
C
C
I have some shallows that look very similar to yours. I've been surprised at how long the submerged veg has stayed alive. It's been flooded for several weeks now and some of it's still green. Glad it didn't all die at once and flood the pond with dead vegetation.

K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by gehajake
One question is, is this the full level of the pond? or will it fill up more, that will submerge them even more? which will make a difference in their survival chances.

Good question. This is a new pond, dug last December, still filling up. Finish grading and grass planting was just completed. So, there is no history, yet. The high water mark was planned to be another two feet or so from the current level in the picture.

K
Knobber Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by esshup
When killing cattails, it's best to spray them in the Fall. Don't forget to remove the catkins before they blow apart and scatter new seeds all over your pond. Cut them off, shove them in a plastic bag and put them in the trash. I collect them in a 5 gal bucket as I cut them off the plants, then dump that bucket into a heavy duty garbage bag.

Catplex is just a 53% glyphosate, so any other pond rated glyphosate will do just as well.
Originally Posted by H20fwler
I use CattPlex with a surfacant, safe for fish and keeps cat tails out of my ponds fine. Have used it for years and have been very pleased with it. Cat tails go yellow a few days after spraying and die clear into root system.

Do you generally rake out the dead plants after applying glyphosate? For my pond situation, raking would be a lot of work for me. Ugh.

CattPlex is almost double the price (on Amazon, no less) of Shoreline Defense that I mentioned. I haven't checked the label details, but are some glyphosate products better than others?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't bother raking it out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build