Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,122
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,562
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
8 members (ArkieJig, Boondoggle, Pat Williamson, phinfan, Bobbss, FishinRod, anthropic, TEC), 1,026 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
ghdmd Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Greetings all,

I'm looking to install an aerator and two diffusers for our small pond which has been plagued by algae and duckweed in recent years. Dimensions are 0.2 acres, 6-8 ft depth (~450,000 gal).

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/S3Hk4BK3svis1XvUA[/img]

I'm looking to purchase individual components, and DIY assemble - to include solar power (inspired loosely by https://www.hiblow-usa.com/2021/06/07/diy-solar-pond-aeration/).

For the pump, I'm leaning towards the HIPBLOW HP-60 linear diaphragm septic air pump unit @ 250.

Two 100 foot 3/8" weighted airlines @ $130 each. The pump will be set back from the pond a bit. (Is 3/8" Ok for this setup? I assume so, as HIBLOW suggests purchasing it with this pump..)

I still need to choose the diffusers. I'm thinking medium to coarse bubble is preferred, since we're mainly concerned with generating movement in the water (moreso than providing the maximum amount of oxygen). Recommendations here?
(We're planning two diffusers, despite the modest pond size, because many single diffuser systems that I've seen placed in the center of a pond seem to just push algae & duckweed to the sides - rather than really disrupt its formation, as we'd like.)

As I mentioned, we'll be powering this via solar panels -> charge controller -> battery -> inverter, as we're too far away from an established power source. I've received some really helpful feedback from folks at the DIY Solar Forum on those aspects. This setup is only intended to run during spring and summer months. I'm located in Maryland, where we expect to receive plenty of sunlight from May thru August in the given location, although only for an average of 7 hrs per day (due to surrounding trees & hills). I'd like the pump to run ~8am to ~8pm, but this is not critical (i.e. it's Ok if it doesn't run at all on cloudy days, or shuts off early).

Mounting for the panels, and cabinet / enclosure for the battery, inverter, etc. is still TBD.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Last edited by ghdmd; 06/30/23 09:22 PM. Reason: improved formatting
G
G
I have the hiblow hp80 and have 50 feet of 3/8” airline. Air diffuser is 9 feet deep on deep end of 1 acre pond. It is intentionally undersized. Hiblow website instructs to go to 1/2” airline over 100 feet. Sounds like you are essentially running 200’ on 1 pump. I have found that it takes minimum of 300 watts of solar panels to keep my 70 amp hour batteries charged enough to run 24/7. This still isn’t enough if there are three or more days of cloudy weather. I mounted my equipment in a two story plastic beehive with a queen excluder as an interior shelf. Weatherproof with lots of ventilation.

G
ghdmd Offline OP
OP Offline
G
@Groundhog7 - thank you for the information. I may be able to get away with one 100' and one 50' line - but regardless it seems I should upgrade to 1/2" for each.

Fortunately I don't need the pump to run 24/7.

The beehive storage is a cool idea! (where did you get it from?)

G
ghdmd Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Oh, also - would you mind sharing what diffuser you have (and how you like it) ?

S
S
ghdmd, let's back up just a bit here first.. The more water you want to move, the finer the bubble size needs to be. Although there is some oxygen transfer, the main source of raising O2 levels is exposing bottom water to the surface-THEN O2 from the atmosphere is absorbed into the upper layer, so max flow is key.
#2, aeration will not reduce algae, please understand that, I don't care what is advertised, aeration does NOT stop algae.
There are 2 basic means of getting rid of algae. #1 is manually removing it. #2 is "something else" has to use the nutrients before it forms an algal growth, such as aquatic vegetation.
First thing to do is figure out the nutrient source and get that fixed by limiting that source.
When you decide you need aeration for pond health and want to go solar, let's talk about that because using an inverter consumes even more energy that you need to provide and store.

EDIT: I went and read the links you provided and in the example they show 2 6v batts for a 12v system which is really not near enough, you'll be using welding cable to keep the efficiency up.

Last edited by Snipe; 06/30/23 11:41 PM.
1 member likes this: FishinRod
G
G
https://store.koenderswatersolutions.com/search?q=Airstone+diffuser
I originally purchased the 20’ koenders windmill kit and just continued to use the diffuser that came with it. I really don’t have any other experience with aeration so I would not be able to say much more about diffusers. It creates about a 4 ft circle of various size bubble with the hiblow and the minnows love it. I’m a beekeeper so I just tried to use resources that I have. I had purchased an ANEL 10 frame plastic beehive with the screened bottom and later on decided to get away from 10 frame equipment because it gets really heavy. So I repurposed.

1 member likes this: ghdmd
S
S
Here's a link to show a pic-I am NOT suggesting you buy from this source, it was just a good pic of rubber membrane diffuser type.

https://gardenpondusa.com/matala-flex-membrane-diffuser.html

1 member likes this: ghdmd
G
ghdmd Offline OP
OP Offline
G
@Snipe - understood re: bubble size, and thank you for the example rubber membrane diffuser. Also understood that aeration does not in and of itself reduce algae - we're looking at numerous options for that, and we're interested in aeration for reasons beyond help with algae (primarily to benefit the aquatic life).

@Groundhog7 - thank you also for the diffuser info

Much appreciated!

G
ghdmd Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Update:

The system has been installed and running successfully for two weeks now! Thanks again for yalls input.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/WBURwXt38Jbf9zpT9[/img]

Now I'd like to consider expanding the setup a bit..

I started pretty small & simple - a single 9" diffuser on 50 feet of 3/8" airline, powered by the HIBLOW HP-60. HIBLOW specs say this puts out 60lpm and 2.13 PSI.

The Matala diffuser lists air inflow range as 0.88 to 3.53 CFM, which converts to 24-98lpm.

I'd like to add a 2nd diffuser, towards the other side of the pond.

Ideally I'd like to go ~75-100 feet with the 2nd line. Is 3/8" still Ok for this?

And, more generally - will I be bumping up against the lower end of the diffusers' inflow range?

Any other concerns / issues with this plan?

Thanks in advance!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by FishinRod - 05/01/24 09:46 PM
How much feed?
by TEC - 05/01/24 09:41 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 08:48 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/01/24 08:03 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question