Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The problem is marketing. Man don't sell those large ,award winning, world class, hand selected and pellet raised ,genetically improved, PB approved and certified CSBG for $1.08 or $1.10. Those are superior brood stock and should cost more like $5.00 per female and 7.50 per mail. \:D

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oh Sunil, that's your best one for quite a while! \:\)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
These were stocked in Feb. 3-4".
web page

Bruce, I'm trying to learn this BG thing! This is my first try at a BG pond. Had a jet black male almost take my cane pole away from me. I believe 1 coppernose and a native? Comments appreciated.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I think the top one is a CNBG based on the width of the bands. Can't tell about the other one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
To me I'm seeing a male bluegill (top) and a female bluegill (bottom). I can't tell about CNBG without a better side view of the fish.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I agree with Bruce.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
This may or not work. Click on pic and a small box with arrows when clicked will enlarge...I hope.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FWIW..

I don't have a computer this week. Or last week, or next week for that matter. I've been using my wife's when she's not on it because mine has ceased functioning and is in the shop. So if you're sending me an email for anything I won't get it for awhile.

Bruce

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ahvatsa look at this outstanding thread on CNBG with pics and it should help. It looks like your fish have some orange/light on the fins as well but still can't tell for sure. This thread tells how to check.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002562;p=1

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bruce,

I would love to have some of your bluegills but as you elluded to it doesn't sound very practical to Fed Ex them. And driving 22 hours one way is a little much , even if I do have a brand new vehicle to pick them up now (convinced the wife to trade in her Saturn passenger car for a V6 Vue SUV.) ;\)

I do have some fast growing dishpan shaped bluegills I may hold on to and restock into the big pond as broodstock once I refill it. Or I could get bluegills out of a nearby 800 acre lake that grow the largest in the state and use them for broodstock.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've now seined 6,000 CSBG. I've kept the 50 biggest for myself, then #'s 51-160 are in a tank for Cecil. Anybody know someone who's going from Lincoln, NE to Ligonier, IN?? If they did I'd supply them with a tank and some oxygen. \:\) \:\) \:\) \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...and Cecil, those crazy guys at Google maps tell me that it's 11 hours and 26 minutes one way. How slow do you drive?? ;\)

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
ewest
Yes, that's an "outstanding thread on CNBG"! More info than I can digest in one sitting. In my 4a bass pond I choose to mix native and CNBGs. My plan is to add tilapia next spring, relieving some pressure off BGs, and hopefully grow some footers with time. At this time I will continue feeding...just too much fun watching them attack the feed.
Those in the pic posted are supposed to be CNBG and 100 were stocked in a small pond with 4# FHs. That small pond was changed though in June when I had to move 30 CCs to 25" because of dry conditions. I have caught 1...ONE...CC since then. It was 4lbs. on a cricket top water ultra light. Hard to believe they are so hard to catch. Too much food?
thanks for the informative link!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
ahvatsa

One thing is sure . Whether CNBG or BG they are sure some nice ,fat, healthy looking lepomis. \:\) Good work BTW.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
...and Cecil, those crazy guys at Google maps tell me that it's 11 hours and 26 minutes one way. How slow do you drive?? ;\)
Oops I think alsheimers is setting in! I think what my poor memory did was remember the round trip as the one way distance.

Hmmm... doesn't sound so bad after all. \:\) However I do know coppernose won't survive up here. Coopernose are overwintering for you there? I was told by a biologist in Arkansas (Malone and Sons) that if they get ice cover they lose them all.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never seen a coppernose in my life. What is the farthest north they can survive?

...oh, I'll bet you were looking at "CSBG". That's a term I stole from Theo for "Condello Strain Bluegill". Perhaps I shouldn't dream of giving them a "strain" status. They're really just a coupla generations of good fish. Maybe in twenty years or so, when they're growing to be seven pounds we'll give 'em a name.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CNBG have about the same range as Fla. LMB. about the north line of Tenn. extended. North of there and they don't do well and north of that they don't survive long.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
I've never seen a coppernose in my life. What is the farthest north they can survive?

...oh, I'll bet you were looking at "CSBG". That's a term I stole from Theo for "Condello Strain Bluegill". Perhaps I shouldn't dream of giving them a "strain" status. They're really just a coupla generations of good fish. Maybe in twenty years or so, when they're growing to be seven pounds we'll give 'em a name.
Sorry I guess I'm dyslexic too! \:D At least I have a 138 I.Q. to make up for the negatives! ;\) (At least that's what one of those online I.Q. tests said!) :p I asked the wife if she thought my I.Q. was that high, and she laughed and said, "I don't think so."

I'll keep you posted. Headed on a 26 hour round trip to pick up 100 Canadian strain brook trout in a couple of days. All the way up through lower Michigan, and all the way across the U.P. of Michigan to a hatchery on Lake Superior in Wisconsin. At least I am staying at a friend's house on the way to break it up a little. Won't be able to get browns and bows until next spring probably thanks to the emergency transportation restriction (see appropriate post).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Here's a picture of a Condello strain bluegill that isn't very big. As a matter of fact, he's kind of puny. Basically a piece of doo-doo.

Here's a picture of a CSBG that is about average. He's a lot like any bluegill that is 17 weeks old. He might actually be a good one someday. If every thing goes right for him, he'll exceed a pound and put up a good fight. The eye on this fish is the same size as the eye on the next fish. The rest of the body is much smaller. He weighs 12 grams.

Here's a picture of a CSBG that is top of the line. He's eating pellets like there's no tomorrow. He weighs close to 40 grams. That's big for that age fish. He represents the top 3 percent of fish from this spawn.

Here he is getting weighed in.

This one is a monster. He weighs in at a whopping 50 grams. He literally eats some of his brothers and sisters for lunch. He is top 1 percent or better. You couldn't pay me enough money to part with him. He lives in my Morton building. Look how teeny-tiny his eye is. Most fish this age have bigger eyes in relation to their body size. Since he's only 17 weeks, his eye can't keep up with his body.

The fish on the right is 66 weeks old. He is angry. He doesn't like the fact that he's being forced to pose with a 2-year-old fish. The one on the left is a good fish, but he's no bigger than the one-year-old on the right.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Man, you might need to get help.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Bruce,

Back on 10/24 you posted about transporting fish from your place to Cecil. This site may be of some assistance:

http://www.ytmag.com/

Look for the "Community" section in the left margin. Click on Hauling Schedule.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Bruce, for the first time in the fish-crazed portion of my life, I have looked at the picture of a 4" BG and been so impressed I thought "WOW!" And that was the 40g 3 percenter. The 50g BG is just AWESOME!

My wife is right, I am truly obsessed.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Bruce this is off topic but what breed of dog is this in the picture?

Chris
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Bruce for the pics and explanation. This should help people looking at BG to stock at the hatchery and in assessments at the pond. Try to get/keep the ones with comparatively small heads and eyes and big bodies. Also ask their age.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have a neighbor with an uninhabited pond who wanted some CSBG. I brought some examples over to him and stocked the best ones. Would you believe that I barely remember that there was even a dog present? :rolleyes:

When I talk to him again I'll ask what the breed of the dog was. Anybody an expert out there?

Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails