Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,981
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,535
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dave Davidson1, Boondoggle, jmartin, esshup), 1,201 guests, and 390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I am interested in trying to raise a trophy bluegill in a tank environment. As such, I am curious to get thoughts on the ideal setup for doing so. I have been researching 3 lb+ state records and of course the past world records to get an idea of the environments these fish come from. That information coupled with what I have learned on this forum tells me pristine/fertile water, low fish densities, access to high quality food sources through all life stages, and maybe genetics, play a key role. I have some questions that I have not found an answer for:

1. Was the world record(or other record) BG male or female? I know conventional wisdom says focus on males for size, but haven't all of the Havasu RES records been females?

2. Any known problem with stunting of bluegill in large tank environments(250 gal+).

Here is my current game plan to grow a trophy in a 250 gal tank:
Already seined 15 bluegill fingerlings from the pond and have them eating aquamax mvp crumbles while I wait for aquamax grower 400 to deliver.
In a month or two, I thin the school based on desirable body characteristics and/or relative body weights. Probably thin to 5 or 6 fish. Repeat thinning until I am left with 1 or 2 with best potential.
Tank to be set up with timed drain valve(sprinkler valve) and float refill valve to automate frequent water changes with good quality well water.
Continue high protein feeding at moderate to heavy rates, probably also with timed feeder.
Possibly insulate tank to keep water at optimal temp for growth year round(85 degrees is what I have read)
Obviously some sort of filtration system, probably with UV filter because I like seeing the fish.

Thoughts on this?

-Jason
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Personally, I think you're dreaming, no offense. Everything I have seen, and experienced, shows space as a limiting factor. Unless you have a bio lab capable of mutations.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Eastland
Personally, I think you're dreaming, no offense. Everything I have seen, and experienced, shows space as a limiting factor. Unless you have a bio lab capable of mutations.
Hey, I am a dreamer! Guilty as charged. I realize it's a stretch goal but something fun to play around with. I have the ability to expand or move to other ponds if space becomes a problem.

-Jason
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I encourage you to go for your goal of a tank raised big or trophy BG. You and hopefully us can learn some more good information about groing big sunfish / BG. Concerning which BG grows bigger. Note the Lake Havasu record was a redear sunfish and your plan is to work with bluegill; two different species. Two different genetic foundations. IMO the male BG will grow bigger because it puts less nutrient energy into gametes compared to females; more body length can be created. If your trophy size is based on weight rather than length the female full of eggs would be the one with more body mass prespawn.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
My daughter and I grew a fingerling BG to 8" in a 5 gallon aquarium. (He learned to beg for food by banging the glass.)

Go for it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I like the idea but I would have more than one tank. That way, if something happens in one tank you have a backup.

Just got curious:
Do fish grow more alone or with company?
How does spawn affect growth?

Probably more stuff.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
My daughter and I grew a fingerling BG to 8" in a 5 gallon aquarium. (He learned to beg for food by banging the glass.)

Go for it.

That sounds promising! They are already eating from the surface in what looks like a pirahna attack!

-Jason
OP Offline
Good idea on backup tank! I have an identical tank ready to go so why not? I just had BG spawns in both of my ponds so I may try to get some YOY fry for the second tank and get them on aquamax fry powder as early as possibe. I ponder those and other questions myself.
For instance, if I ended up with a solo female would lack of breeding cause her harm? I read somewhere that a BG will die if not induced to lay eggs. Not sure if that is true.

-Jason
OP Offline
Took.a baseline relative weight measurement today just so I have a comparison for the first thinning. I would prefer a per fish tracking but cannot think of a good way to ID them at such a small size. Maybe after I thin down to 4 or 5 of them I can consider fin clipping? I guess the highest relative body weight is pretty safe, but if there are 2 fish at the same relative weight, I think I would want the one that had the best track record for growth.
Also, not completely sure relative weight is the perfect metric at this age. For instance, a fish that is 25% longer might provide the best "frame" to put on pounds later in life.

You guys have any thoughts on selection criteria?

[Linked Image from dl.dropbox.com]

Last edited by ColdSpringsFarm; 06/04/23 03:44 PM.

-Jason
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by ColdSpringsFarm
I would prefer a per fish tracking but cannot think of a good way to ID them at such a small size.

They make numbered ID tags. I think the most common type are called "floy tags".

I do NOT see our experts using them on the forum - but they may use them in some limited circumstances. You might get an expert opinion if you start a new thread on that topic. (If you really want to do individual tracking.)

Floy Tag Catalog

1 member likes this: anthropic
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those fish are too small to use a floy tag on. I'd do a minor fin clip, maybe cut a "V" out of a fin on a different spot on every different fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
If you've never clipped fins, they grow back, but are marked forever (they look kind of "rippled" to my eye).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Originally Posted by esshup
Those fish are too small to use a floy tag on. I'd do a minor fin clip, maybe cut a "V" out of a fin on a different spot on every different fish.
I agree with Scott. I've tagged lmb over 10", and they do fine. Maybe it'll work on an 8-10" BG as well. If fish are floy tagged, I'd be sure and check every fish caught for the tags. They'll get covered with algae and can be hard to see unless you're looking for them. I've got a pic of that somewhere, so I'll see if I can find it.

AL

OP Offline
I have never fin clipped but I might consider it after the first thinning. I think it will be more important after I get down to the last 4 or 5 fish and by that time they will be bigger and easier to deal with.

The aquamax 400 came in and it's the perfect size for these 2-3" fingerlings. I would estimate that about 30% sinks, which gives the more timid guys a chance to eat.

-Jason
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt