Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,482
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
7 members (MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, catscratch, JPierson, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 969 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#556984 04/03/23 02:00 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone, we have an unstocked clay pond about 40X60ft in size 8-9ft at the deepest. In the summer we have a fountain aerator and we treat regularly with beneficial bacteria. This year I worked throughout the fall proactively removing leaves and treated the pond all winter with cold water bacteria. Already the algae is starting to form in mats on the surface and I can’t keep up fast enough removing it. Last spring when we put our fountain in, I figured it would help clear things up but it kept clogging with algae and we had to keep pulling it out. I spent weeks going crazy trying to clean the pond by hand using a skimmer. I don’t want to have to go through that again so I’m wondering what my other options are. We live in NY and it doesn’t seem you can use algalcides here (which I would rather not anyway). Would some type of diffuser work and if so, what’s my best option. Or Is there some easier way to manually remove the algae?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
IMO, in an unstocked pond, algaecides are by far your best option!

Why would they be forbidden in your situation? Does water from you pond continuously drain into an adjacent body of water or wetland?

Even then, I would think you could block the flow of water into your pond, treat the pond, and then resume inflow (and outflow) after the proper time limit shown on the product label.

*** I am not an expert on NY law, nor did I sleepy at a Holiday Inn last night.

Online Content
Although I'm farther south than Rod, here are my thoughts.

Tilapia are a restricted option in NY, but not having predators big enough to eat them in the fall creates another problem, which is a pond covered with dead tilapia. A rake works, but it is labor intensive. I have a 12' handled driveway rake, and pull algae up on the bank and let it dry out. When dry, it's very light, and easy to remove. We put it in our compost pile.

A possible treatment option might be Greenclear Pro. It's a non-copper algae treatment, and according to a NY state report, "there is no significant threat to
the environment, the populations of organisms residing therein, or public health and safety". This may be an option. Just for clarity, I haven't used Greenclear yet, but I'm using it for algae control in a pond that irrigates an elderberry orchard. I wasn't comfortable using a cooper product for a FDA approved food test.

NY State Report

AL

1 member likes this: FishinRod
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Like Al said, Greenclear Pro or Phycomycin would be your only options if the state won't allow copper based algaecides, which would be my first choice after Tilapia.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
OP Offline
D
Can’t say anything about the Holiday Inn thing! but when I’ve tried to order algacides online it says they can’t be shipped to NY. I

D
D
One option you might consider is installing an aeration system that uses diffusers to increase the oxygen levels in the water. This can help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria that can help break down the organic matter in the pond, which can help reduce the amount of nutrients available for algae growth. Additionally, increased oxygen levels can help create a healthier aquatic environment for fish and other aquatic life.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Duncan04
Can’t say anything about the Holiday Inn thing! but when I’ve tried to order algacides online it says they can’t be shipped to NY. I

Did you try to order the "non-copper" algaecides listed above?

I would hope you could get that product in NY!

Online Content
Duncan is correct. I checked, and it's almost impossible to ship algaecides to NY. Non-copper products like Greenclear Pro can only be sold to licensed applicators, not pond owners. Silly, silly, rules.

AL

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Duncan,

Sounds like I was wrong about the algaecide. (Not the first time.)

You can rake out a lot of the algae, but you must dispose of it somewhere such that the nutrients from the decaying algae DO NOT run back into your pond.

If that doesn't work, or work well, then it might be worth your money to have a licensed applicator do your pond. Since you don't have any stocked fish, he should be able to treat heavily and get control in a single application. (Hopefully!)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If Tilapia aren't legal to be stocked in NY, or they are legal and the OP doesn't stock them, then the algae will need to be treated bi-weekly. It grows back that fast.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by esshup
If Tilapia aren't legal to be stocked in NY, or they are legal and the OP doesn't stock them, then the algae will need to be treated bi-weekly. It grows back that fast.

Bi-weekly treatments from a professional applicator sounds prohibitively expensive!

I am now 0 for 2 on helpful advice.

Fortunately, I am just stupid enough to take a third bite at the apple.

The algae grows on many of the same nutrients in the water that other aquatic plants also utilize. Perhaps you could read some of the threads on beneficial aquatic plants?

Some shallow water emergent plants that add to the look of your pond would "steal" some nutrients from the algae. Likewise, some submerged plantings of aquatic plants could also help if you like that look.

You could even do some things like water lilies in submerged plastic pots so you can control their spread.

Good luck on returning your pond to an attractive state!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM