Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rumme55 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Has anyone tried to use a battery powered cordless leaf blower to aerate their pond ?

I have several of these leaf blowers that run on 18 volts and I was thinking of trying to rig them up, so they run during the day, on solar panels and fix them on a angle, so they can suck in air but have the output end/ nozzle underwater, so it aerates the pond . Would this work ?

R
rumme55 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Anyone ?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by rumme55
Has anyone tried to use a battery powered cordless leaf blower to aerate their pond ?

I have several of these leaf blowers that run on 18 volts and I was thinking of trying to rig them up, so they run during the day, on solar panels and fix them on a angle, so they can suck in air but have the output end/ nozzle underwater, so it aerates the pond . Would this work ?

Nope it won't "aerate" the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
rumme55 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Surely the idea would circulate the water in the pond, which provides some benefits ?

Last edited by rumme55; 03/23/23 08:21 AM.
G
G
Surely the idea would circulate the water in the pond, which provides some benefits ?

The leaf blower itself wouldn't do anything for your pond, you couldn't get air more then a ft below the water surface, now if you had a way to hook it up to a bubbler down deeper in the pond it may have some aeration benefits, but I can't imagine the blower itself lasting very long trying to push any amount of air with any resistance, they are mostly built to move a volume of air at no resistance.

They make a solar aeration system that is actually designed for that purpose, but I cant imagine a leafblower setup being anywhere near cost effective. but then Ive been wrong way more times then I care to admit.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Online Content
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
A leaf blower is designed for high volume, minimal pressure. I don't see it as an efficient tool. Proper aeration is needed for hours at a time. Look at buying the right kind of system, if you want to properly aerate.

Look in the Pond Boss Resource Guide. https://www.pondboss.com/Resources?lci=1

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

While it will not do what you want, it would help to some degree. But not the degree you are thinking. If you want to try it, don't put the end in the water, put in above the water at a 45 degree angle. This will allow you to spray some of the top water while starting a slight current. The problem is your blower is not rated for continuous use. It will fail, it will be very loud, and it will scare your fish away.

On the other hand, I have built several solar powered paddlewheel aerators. They run all day slowly and the difference is clearly testable. Use the right tool for the job. But your Idea is funny to think about.

Also, how big is your pond? Size does matter.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
W
W
If your going to try solar here is what I have built 3 of. 2 or 300 watts of solar panels 12 volt output, 2 cheap lead acid deep cycle 12 volt batteries, or better yet AGM batteries. A cheap charge controller, and a cheap 120 VAC inverter for a car accessory plug. Buy a simple sewer system diaphragm pump to plug into the inverter. I have 3 running year round in Wisconsin. You can buy everything off Amazon. This is by far the cheapest system for aeration. The pump I use only draws about 17 watts so a cheap 150 watt inverter works fine. Note that I aerate in the shallow water as the pump will only work to about 5 feet deep. You can buy a larger pump and go deeper but it will draw down the batteries sooner. My set up runs 24-7 unless i get several days without sun. The controller will shut of the inverter if your batteries get low, then restart once you get a charge again. If you want to build one I can send pictures. PS any system to mechanically circulate water will get clogged or burn out. This is why compressed air is best.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by woodster
If your going to try solar here is what I have built 3 of. 2 or 300 watts of solar panels 12 volt output, 2 cheap lead acid deep cycle 12 volt batteries, or better yet AGM batteries. A cheap charge controller, and a cheap 120 VAC inverter for a car accessory plug. Buy a simple sewer system diaphragm pump to plug into the inverter. I have 3 running year round in Wisconsin. You can buy everything off Amazon. This is by far the cheapest system for aeration. The pump I use only draws about 17 watts so a cheap 150 watt inverter works fine. Note that I aerate in the shallow water as the pump will only work to about 5 feet deep. You can buy a larger pump and go deeper but it will draw down the batteries sooner. My set up runs 24-7 unless i get several days without sun. The controller will shut of the inverter if your batteries get low, then restart once you get a charge again. If you want to build one I can send pictures. PS any system to mechanically circulate water will get clogged or burn out. This is why compressed air is best.

woodster, I think you left out what size self sinking hose you used, and what you used for diffusers. Personally I don't like the diaphragm pumps because of the frequency of the rebuilds needed to keep them running.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
rumme55 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
well, heres a update.

I was able to purchase 4 new 18 volt leaf blowers off ebay for $40 shipped. They did not come with the battery pack, but I did not need that.

I hooked it up to a 100 watt solar panel and sunk the blower end down into the water. There was movement and although I do feel that movement was beneficial in some manner, it did not give me the results/ aeration I was seeking.

So, I took the blower apart , took the dc motor out of the blower and stuck the spinning impeller about 1 inch deep into the water in a flat position { not like a watermill is position } . The aeration was incredible . The motor did not sound strained at all .

I will be using this method to try inexpensive and hopefully successful aeration. It will only be run by a solar panel, which means it will only run on proper sunny days. Therefore it will not be running non stop. Im hoping this will allow the brushes to last a couple years , because I will only have the aerator in the pond during the spring/ summer months. The only other snag I see, is the bearings wearing out due to possibly getting wet, but I will do my best to try and make sure the DC motor is protected from the elements and the massive amount of water that is sprayed by the spinning impeller.

The good thing is, even if the brushes wear out after 6 months of use, I can always upgrade to a better DC MOTOR that has better brushes and replaceable brushes.

I already had the solar panel, so this aeration system only costs me about $10 and some ingenuity. I will probably use some pvc pipe assembles into a 12inch x 12 inch airtight square and fasten the blower unti to that, so it floats on the water, while allowing the plastic impeller to be about 1 inch into the surface of the water.

I was shocked at how much aeration/water this 18 volt DC motor / impeller achieves,

With my pond being about 1/2 acre, I think just 1 of these blowers will suffice, but if not, I can always make a 2nd blower and put it on the other side of the pond.

Last edited by rumme55; 03/30/23 07:20 PM.
R
rumme55 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
If anyone is interested, here is the blower brand im using. It seems that this brand is the least expensive being sold.

Attached Images
2023-03-30 (1).png
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm not good at telling someone what they want to hear vs. what is actually going to happen when they try something they "think" is going to work.

Unless you have a dissolved Oxygen meter, you cannot tell whether the water movement you are seeing is actually helping aerate the pond. Do you have an O2 meter?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted by esshup
I'm not good at telling someone what they want to hear vs. what is actually going to happen when they try something they "think" is going to work.
Can I have your permission to use that line at work? cool

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
rumme55 Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Unless you have a dissolved Oxygen meter, you cannot tell whether the water movement you are seeing is actually helping aerate the pond. Do you have an O2 meter?

So you are claiming that the only way a person can tell if their pond aeration is working/ helping, is by owning a 02 meter ?

L
Lunker
Lunker
L

So you are claiming that the only way a person can tell if their pond aeration is working/ helping, is by owning a 02 meter ?

That would be the only way to have definitive proof, which would be helpful for such a unique idea. A video of the system might help visualize things better also.

I would question whether you are getting any meaningful turnover at depth. A significant benefit of a good aeration system is the ability to increase dissolved O2 throughout the water column. Surface agitation can certainly help achieve that, but is not likely to be very efficient, IMO.

I applaud you for thinking outside the box. Worst case scenario if you aren't achieving great results after some time or if you find that the motors are going belly up after a short time, you aren't out much and likely got plenty of enjoyment/entertainment simply from working on the system and testing it out (assuming you are anything like me).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images