Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261), 726 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Hi all, wondering if any of you have come across tank/sprayer setups that have a metered-in source of liquid chems (copper) instead of needing to mix the solution in one tank. My problem I have is that my Udor Kappa 55 pumps get corroded so quickly, usually less than 6 months. I run clean water through them after each pond application, but the pumps just don't hold up. With them being $1100 each, it's not an efficient business practice! I'm trying to find a guide for a setup that would have a separate hose that meters in the cutrine at the gun or hose instead of going through the main pump. Thanks so much for any info!

Reed- Owner, Premier Ponds of Illinois

G
G
I have a Chapin sprayer that sits on the back of a sxs to spray small food plots, lawns and fence rows, in-other-words, not a commercial grade sprayer like it sounds you will be needing, but it has a side tank for injecting the chemical at whatever predetermined concentration you desire, I really like it as you only use what you need, and the rest of the chemical can be put up for later use, no more mixing a tank full of stuff and only using half of it, I love it for that, and the chemical does not go thru the pump, it is only pushing clean water, other then most of the time a add my spray additive to the water. Good Luck!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by gehajake
I have a Chapin sprayer that sits on the back of a sxs to spray small food plots, lawns and fence rows, in-other-words, not a commercial grade sprayer like it sounds you will be needing, but it has a side tank for injecting the chemical at whatever predetermined concentration you desire, I really like it as you only use what you need, and the rest of the chemical can be put up for later use, no more mixing a tank full of stuff and only using half of it, I love it for that, and the chemical does not go thru the pump, it is only pushing clean water, other then most of the time a add my spray additive to the water. Good Luck!

What model number is it?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted by Reed Johnson
Hi all, wondering if any of you have come across tank/sprayer setups that have a metered-in source of liquid chems (copper) instead of needing to mix the solution in one tank. My problem I have is that my Udor Kappa 55 pumps get corroded so quickly, usually less than 6 months. I run clean water through them after each pond application, but the pumps just don't hold up. With them being $1100 each, it's not an efficient business practice! I'm trying to find a guide for a setup that would have a separate hose that meters in the cutrine at the gun or hose instead of going through the main pump. Thanks so much for any info!

Reed- Owner, Premier Ponds of Illinois

Are you treating from the bank, or from a boat? Also, how big are the ponds you're treating?

My spray boat has a simple adjustable inline venturi system with an independent chem tank that works well. It can completely shut off the chemicals, or it can flow at whatever rate I want. I added it on the pump outlet with pvc, so chemicals never touch the pump. Although my rig is just 1" to 1 1/2" hoses, it covers an acre fairly quickly. Normally, I'll treat no more than 2-3 acres (12 acre pond) in a day. Usually around 20 minutes per acre.

AL

G
G
Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by gehajake

What model number is it?

Not sure of the model #, Ill check on that and get it for you, its up the road at my other shop in storage for the winter.
Edit, The model # is 97365, which is a Chapin brand, 25 gal ATV sprayer, they make a 15 gal version too, i really like it, a lot less waste by having to mix too much product.

Last edited by gehajake; 03/23/23 05:13 PM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
1 member likes this: esshup
R
OP Offline
R
@FireisHot- Do you have an image of your setup with the Venturi Inline system? I am running a Udor Kappa 55, which is rated at max psi of 560 and 15gpm. I typically will run the pump with about 120-140 psi and it is plenty of power to spray the algae mats and break them up a little bit. I am always spraying from a boat- using a 100gal tank and the honda motor/udor pump combo.

Last edited by Reed Johnson; 03/25/23 01:39 PM.
I did take some pics, and at some point I'll try to figure out how to post them for you. I'm so sick of perpetual forum picture problems.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
I did take some pics, and at some point I'll try to figure out how to post them for you. I'm so sick of perpetual forum picture problems.

Al, email them to me I'll get them up for ya.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Finally!

So here's a shot of the 1" venturi I use, but any size is doable with PVC pipe. 2" attached to a 1" section that has a tee and a cutoff vale, and back to a 2"pipe is all it would take to use it on your system. I don't believe a straight 2" tube would have enough pressure to pull chems from a tank.

This is my system. The 1" Chinese pump is the only moving part, and chemicals never touch the pump. I've used that pump for going on 8 years, and never had a burp. The inlet hose pulls water from the pond, and I carry a 10 gallon chem tank for whatever herbicide I'm using. With venturi systems, viscosity is important so even if I only add 2-3 gallons of chemicals, I'll fill the rest of the tank with water. I add a bilge pump the the chem tank to keep everything evenly mixed.

My primary rig is a 3 drop 8' boom, and it's pulled up for storing in this pic. I float, or weight the chem hoses depending on what I'm targeting. A gun would be usable too, but to be honest, I fish while I spray. Grid patterns work best for me. I hope this helps a little.

AL

1 member likes this: FishinRod
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
AL, I see you got the picture thingy figured out. Great!

Where did you get the venturi?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Scott, I got it at Amazon. They have several different sizes, so look for venturi injectors.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Scott, I got it at Amazon. They have several different sizes, so look for venturi injectors.

Thanks!!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass