Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, DON, FishinRod, 4CornersPuddle, BackyardTrout, catscratch, Bill Cody, anthropic, Bigtrh24), 737 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
day18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Why can’t you cull small bass by cutting there fins to make them easy prey for your bigger bass? Seems like just removing them is not efficient. If they get eaten that’s protein you don’t have to buy? Tell me why I am wrong on this thought?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Removing fins from small bass and adding them back into the pond is a very good use for the small bass. It is sort of like food recycling.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
day18 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks that is what I was thinking. So you just clip a tail or fin?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by day18
Thanks that is what I was thinking. So you just clip a tail or fin?

I would clip the tail plus caudal and dorsal fin. I rotenoned a pond and pulled out a LMB that was missing it's tail that evaded the seine as it was pulled through the pond 5 different times.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: FishinRod
B
B
GET the Chevy Chase BASSAMATIC BLENDER.
You could also use a maggot fly feeder by tossing the bass in. SORRY JUST HAD TO POST THE BASSAMATIC....

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
After doing this for 52 years, the best rule especially in the beginning is to clip numerous fins. My dad and I developed this method way back when I was in college.
The less ability the small bass can swim the quicker the nearby bass will learn to eat these small bass that are tossed into their area. It is best to do this method near the fish pellet feeding area because several lazy bass will hangout below the BG who are eating pellets and wait for an opportune meal. The method also works for any type of sunfish and small perch. It will not take long for a few bass to learn you tossing fish is easy feeding. Soon the welfare bass will be waiting close to the surface for your small fish treats.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/06/23 10:21 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by BEPA
GET the Chevy Chase BASSAMATIC BLENDER.
You could also use a maggot fly feeder by tossing the bass in. SORRY JUST HAD TO POST THE BASSAMATIC....

When the big LMB finally develop opposable thumbs, I predict that Texas Hunter feeders will start stocking underwater Chevy Chase BASSAMATIC BLENDERS. grin

P.S. How closely can you estimate someone's age by determining if they get your Bassamatic joke?

C
Online Content
C
The bassamatic joke is great!

I've been clipping fins and releasing for quite a while. I see no reason the OP shouldn't do it. Keeps those nutrients in the pond!

A
A
We have a family place owned by my in-laws. They have had it for 3 years. 12 acres. Water is great, vegetation under control, watershed well protected for good runoff. The only issue is that the bass harvest goals haven't been met since the beginning I am trying to increase harvesting, but its been around 100 a year for 2 years. Not really making a sizable dent. I have been clipping and releasing and other methods of culling. There are two other bodies of water on the farm. Both 1 acre ponds. My mother in-law thinks of these fish as pets. I think it would make her happy if I just transferred some of these bass to the other bodies of water on the property. It just causes a problem on those bodies, but I really only care about managing the fishing on the 12 acre lake right now. Would this be wasted effort? Should I just cull and harvest my 300-500 goal and not mess with moving fish? If the fish won't survive the transfer, then I won't waste my time.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
AnthonyDLF, how far do you have to move the fish from the 12 acre pond to either of the smaller ponds?

Most likely, they'll survive just fine, but you may not be helping the smaller ponds. Of course, maybe it would help the smaller ponds of they had certain types of problems.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
A
Thanks for your thoughts. I'd make a live well in a 30 or 55 gallon plastic barrel. I'd keep them in the shade until I put 20 or so in the barrel and then move them. Farm is 205 acres, so just a couple minute truck ride.

I know it won't help those other ponds out, but I think this will be one of my best tools for meeting my harvest goals. My mother-in-law thinks the 12 acre lake is just perfect as it is, but I want more satisfying sport fishing. In three years of ownership, we have only fished the secondary ponds 3-4 times. Mainly stay at the 12 acre lake.

P
P
Anthony what size LMB are you transferring? I am removing 12-15” LMB to make room for BCP to get a break

A
A
The predominate size bass I catch is right at the 14" mark. We just started our harvest efforts 2 seasons ago. Last season, we did see some break through past that size, so we were happy about it. Still predominantly catching at that stunted size. Going to try to remove 350 of those. Going to keep better records going forward. Bought a feeder, and going to try to feed the bluegill to increase them as a forage. A few hundred 8-10" channel cats were added 2 years ago, but we have yet to catch one. Not sure how many survived.

As far as sport fish, our lake has Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, and then the few cats that were added. Crappie get harvested by us and guests, but that is about the only thing that is getting harvested at a healthy rate. Bass have been too small for people to want to harvest. Need to try to change that.

P
P
You might contact the Boy Scouts to help with removal of bass, we do that here to get youngsters to fish and to get merit badges

C
Online Content
C
Does having crappie in the pond affect his bass management plan?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted by catscratch

In the short term, I'm not sure how many 'issues' you can address at one time considering what resources one has in time and money.

If they are already culling a lot of crappie, that's something I'd continue to do.

Culling more bass, like 350 or so, and adding a feeding program should have clear results.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

1 member likes this: catscratch
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If it was my 12 ac pond, I'd spend time removing the fish and not worry about transferring them, depending on the fish population of those ponds you might be creating problems down the road for them sooner than later. Or if the fish are "pets" and transferring them is a way to make it easier on your Mother-in-law, maybe you could transfer them to a gully somewhere that she won't see them. to feed the coons..........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Online Content
C
Originally Posted by Sunil

In the short term, I'm not sure how many 'issues' you can address at one time considering what resources one has in time and money.

If they are already culling a lot of crappie, that's something I'd continue to do.

Culling more bass, like 350 or so, and adding a feeding program should have clear results.

How big of a feeding program would it take for that large of a pond? 12 acres is quite a bit. To increase BG over the whole pond I'm guessing several feeders is needed, or will just having feed in one spot be enough? I've never put too much thought into feeding so I'm kind of new to the ideas of making it work.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker

How big of a feeding program would it take for that large of a pond? 12 acres is quite a bit. To increase BG over the whole pond I'm guessing several feeders is needed, or will just having feed in one spot be enough? I've never put too much thought into feeding so I'm kind of new to the ideas of making it work.

Of course, the more the merrier, so to speak, but just start with one feeder, or hand feed if you're able. A simple way to look at a feed program is for every pound of feed consumed, the fish population puts on 1/2 pound, or so. So if you feed (3) 50 lb. bags a season, your putting on 75 lbs of weight on various fish species.

Soaking the feed in water for about 10 minutes before throwing it out will help more fish get on the feed, but soaking feed prior to putting it in the pond is not possible with the standard feeders out there, I think.

1 member likes this: catscratch
A
A

Of course, the more the merrier, so to speak, but just start with one feeder, or hand feed if you're able. A simple way to look at a feed program is for every pound of feed consumed, the fish population puts on 1/2 pound, or so. So if you feed (3) 50 lb. bags a season, your putting on 75 lbs of weight on various fish species.

Soaking the feed in water for about 10 minutes before throwing it out will help more fish get on the feed, but soaking feed prior to putting it in the pond is not possible with the standard feeders out there, I think.

I am starting with one Texas Hunter Feeder, and will add more once I make sure my fish population will be attracted to the feedings. Ideally, I will have 3-4 total feeders. As far as moving fish - it will just be one of my tools to meet harvest quota.

A
Online Content
A
Anthony, one thing I'd add is that it is important to use any soaked pellets right away. Once moist, they do NOT keep well, and within a fairly short time will develop a whitish fungus. Once you see the fungus, the feed must be discarded, as it will sicken or even kill fish that eat it.

The same holds true for pellets held in your feeder. Sometimes heavy rain can penetrate into the interior & cause clumping & eventually fungus. Important to check, especially after storms!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Good point, anthropic!

When soaking pellet feed, it's only for immediate usage.

A
A
Originally Posted by anthropic
Anthony, one thing I'd add is that it is important to use any soaked pellets right away. Once moist, they do NOT keep well, and within a fairly short time will develop a whitish fungus. Once you see the fungus, the feed must be discarded, as it will sicken or even kill fish that eat it.

The same holds true for pellets held in your feeder. Sometimes heavy rain can penetrate into the interior & cause clumping & eventually fungus. Important to check, especially after storms!
Appreciate the note. I think this first feeder is going to go on a covered dock, but I know driving rain could still get to it. I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM