Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 790 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#555999 03/04/23 10:10 AM
C
OP Offline
C
It is that time of year again! To me YP are the most versatile, reliable, and hardy fish out there. They are also very good tasting, help clean up crayfish, snails, leeches, slugs etc, and very rapidly pellet train. It is also one of the only fish I know of that you can control population fairly easily by removing a portion or all of their eggs. But I digress,

I wanted to start the spawn tracker thread for 2023!

Please note your location, date, water temp or air temp if possible, and details about what side of the pond or how much sun exposure/shade in the area of the first eggs. Some idea on depth and what the momma used to lay the eggs on or around is also helpful. There are web pages that will tell you how many hours of daylight (photoperiod) you have in your area which is also an interesting possible trigger for laying eggs.

In 2020 it was a mild winter with early ice off. Snipe had the first eggs on March 7th quite early! Central Indiana it was March 13th

2020 YP Spawn site

In 2021 it was member bcraley in Ohio and the date was around March 12 or 13, Fayetville, OH had them on the 16th of March. Ohio led the way in 2021. My pond around March 16 or 17. Dr. Luke in Iowa, March 20.

2021 YP Spawn site

In 2022 I had several inches of ice yet on March 22, but Bill Cody had YP ribbons on March 17! JIMS SVT in Southern OH also had ribbons on the 17th. I finally spotted mine on March 24 in cold blustery conditions right after ice out.

2022 YP Spawn Site

Here's hoping many find YP egg strands soon, keep us posted!

3 members like this: Perch Pond, DrLuke, azteca
D
D
Ontario Canada just north of London.

2021 April 13th

2022 April 3rd

Cheers, Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
A
A
Hello.

Every year I take the date the temperature, but this year I will take the % of eggs fertilized in my 2 Yellow-perch pond.
A+

1 member likes this: Perch Pond
C
OP Offline
C
No one has perch eggs yet??? Snipe had them March 7 in the year 2020. In 2021 the southern Ohio ponds all had YP eggs by now and central indiana had them on the 13th (yesterday)

I'm surprised with all the global warming that we haven't seen perch eggs yet this season. We had mostly no ice all year, an early ice out a few weeks ago then are in a cold snap with temps dropping into the teens tonight again so maybe that will slow things down again.

Keep us posted!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I'm surprised with all the global warming that we haven't seen perch eggs yet this season."

Interesting!!! One could read that to mean it's because there really is no global warming, that's why yellow perch don't spawn earlier, sarcastically anyway!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
OP Offline
C
That wasn't meant to be political, just that we have had very strange winters lately with long stretches of open water, unusual warm and cold cycles, more rain than snow, no ice skating opportunities, greenish grass most of the winter with little dormancy and soil that barely froze in the top inch.

What that lack of typical frost and ice does to insects, or fungus, or crabgrass in my yard, or pests in my garden soil etc remains to be seen.

I read an interesting article that the maple sap run is WAY off this year due to 'global warming' and that soon maple syrup production will all have to shift north. The geographic areas that enjoy maple syrup production even extended down into Virginia traditionally but now the epicenter will probably move up north of the border into northern Canada. Even the epic production centers on the east coast may see their seasons drop off. Producers are having to jump in and tap trees a few weeks early to catch the early run.

We did catch the early run here and had a good run for a few weeks, then had cold, wind, ice storms, rain, then two weeks of bluster and occasional night time snow. We haven't warmed up enough in the day to start collecting again although today the buckets had a little in it. I figure we will probably boil this weekend and wrap it up after a strange year.

How did others do on their maple syrup season?

Climate Changing Maple Syrup Industry

It is odd if the season is warmer and spring comes EARLIER that no one has had eggs yet...

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/15/23 04:40 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The Amish around here said they have had a great Maple Syrup season.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
cc, no worries. I didn't take anything literal from your post. It just struck me as some text with various meanings, to various readers.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
When the data doesn't match the model - the model is wrong.

[img][img]https://i.imgur.com/Cb31lHd.jpg[/img][/img]

If images are not working on the forum, here is a direct link.

Historical Maple Syrup Production in the U.S.

The last 25 years of "global warming" have resulted in a 400% increase in maple syrup production.

Last edited by FishinRod; 03/15/23 10:46 AM. Reason: Added to my response because image didn't post.
1 member likes this: anthropic
D
D
It was my father in-laws birthday yesterday. He was telling me that the one birthday that he will always remember in Ontario Canada here was his 14th birthday.
It would have been 1959 March 14th and he said it was 14*C here. Last night it was -7*C

Cheers,

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It was 17°F here last night and the local ponds froze back over.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
You guys just keep that crap up there where it belongs.

61 here at 6 am

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
A
"When the data doesn't match the model - the model is wrong."

Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman remarked something very similar.

When my dad began investing, he assiduously scanned the papers for the experts opinions, and followed their advice. After getting bloodied time & again, he questioned not only them, but all the conventional financial wisdom of the time. Often, diligent research into actual historical observations yielded quite different conclusions.

A
Online Content
A
47.8°F surface temp, 43.4°F at 10' depth.

Won't be long now if they haven't already.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil said he's seen some skeins in his big pond.
Cody Note: I also talked to Cecil today. He had a thin skim of ice on the pond yesterday and saw YP eggs today Mar 16. Being at the same latitude I did not look for any eggs today. I will look Friday at my YP spawning branches.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/16/23 07:53 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
S
2 things (that I understand) that must be present. #1-Water temp, #2-length of Day. If time of sun is right but water is too cool, it's delayed. If Temp is right but days are short-neeah--still seems to be a delay.
#3-fish know something we don't and it changes every year-fish behavior seems to change as fish grow and like us, not all think alike.
I know I said 2 things, but there's probably 50 things we may never fully have the answer to..
I think you guys know were I'm at.. haven't had time to go look yet, and 77 degs yesterday went to snow and 25 today. Probably single digits tonight but I will look tomorrow at the tumbleweeds.

Last edited by Snipe; 03/16/23 09:06 PM.
2 members like this: FishinRod, azteca
A
A
Hello.

There is still a lot of ice here, but it is getting warmer.

Since I take the spawning date, since 2005, The fastest spawning was April1-46F-2012.
A+

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
At least 3 YP ribbons Friday morning Mar 17. Water temp was 45F. Cloudy and windy Friday air temp after dark was 36F. Ribbons could could have been there Thursday to match the spawn at Cecil's.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil was catching gravid females yesterday and today. Males that were caught were spewing milt on the pier when taken out of the water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
OP Offline
C
Wow, Malinta OH, and wherever Cecil lives gets the price this year! I'm surprised that the south Indiana ponds, and the Kansas ponds aren't having ribbon action yet!
We have blowing snow, wind and cold here. Probably another week yet I'm guessing.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
17F right now in west central Indiana.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil is in NE Indiana. 17°F here @ 10:30 am CST, "feels like" 3°F.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S

OR.....the data is incomplete. How many new maple operations have come into existence during the previous 25 years? How about farming innovations that resulting in improvements in efficiency, and yield?? I didn't see that info on the graph? And where was the breakdown that illustrated yield/ per geographic locations within the maple belt??

No?

Well then, since the data posted is incomplete, then any conclusions drawn from it are highly suspect, to say the least. You want to know if the climate is changing? Really want to know? Then stop listening to the politicians who tell you one thing, and avoid the scientists who are claiming the opposite.... run down to the southern reaches of the maple belt, and check in with some farm families who've been sugaring for multiple generations. Ask 'em to show you "the wall"... the spot where their fathers and grandfathers have been writing the dates of "first run" and "all done" for decades. Take some graph paper with you and chart it out. You'll have your answer.

Whether one chooses to bring that graph paper back with them to show others, or quietly wads it up and chucks it into the firebox of the evaporator, will have absolutely no effect on what it plainly illustrates.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by sprkplug

OR.....the data is incomplete. How many new maple operations have come into existence during the previous 25 years? How about farming innovations that resulting in improvements in efficiency, and yield?? I didn't see that info on the graph? And where was the breakdown that illustrated yield/ per geographic locations within the maple belt??

No?

Well then, since the data posted is incomplete, then any conclusions drawn from it are highly suspect, to say the least. You want to know if the climate is changing? Really want to know? Then stop listening to the politicians who tell you one thing, and avoid the scientists who are claiming the opposite.... run down to the southern reaches of the maple belt, and check in with some farm families who've been sugaring for multiple generations. Ask 'em to show you "the wall"... the spot where their fathers and grandfathers have been writing the dates of "first run" and "all done" for decades. Take some graph paper with you and chart it out. You'll have your answer.

Whether one chooses to bring that graph paper back with them to show others, or quietly wads it up and chucks it into the firebox of the evaporator, will have absolutely no effect on what it plainly illustrates.

When I looked at the wall in the sugar shack of the Amish family that I get my syrup from, it showed the first run/last run dates had no correlation to the "climate change" theorists. And the writing on the wall went on for more than 25 years.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by sprkplug

No?

When I looked at the wall in the sugar shack of the Amish family that I get my syrup from, it showed the first run/last run dates had no correlation to the "climate change" theorists. And the writing on the wall went on for more than 25 years.

Yep. That's why you need to travel south. My friend, I've been to your home, just like you've been to mine. I saw in an earlier post today where you stated it was 17 degrees. It was 34 degrees down here at the same time. Anyone up there pull some BG through the ice this winter? We maxxed out at 1.5"... never wet a line. Did you know that for purposes of tracking maple syrup production, the IDNR divides the state into North and South at highway 40? The latest data I can access right now comes from 2020, when their production figures show 24,139 gallons made. Of that total, only 1706 gallons came from south of US40.
Southern Indiana is a world apart from Northern Indiana, as I'm sure you recognize. Now, I'm not suggesting that the end of Hoosier maple syrup is imminent. Far from it. There will be warm years, and there will be cold years... that's part of sugarmaking. But the evidence is clear to those of us in the southernmost reaches of the maple belt. Our maple seasons are trending earlier, and shorter. I tend to believe we are the canaries in the maple mines.

By the way, do you know what we southern sugarmakers call your region?........

Michigan! Lol! Hope you are well, Scott!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday