Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
OP Offline
T
Does anyone have a good method for relative weight or length standards for YP? I found this while doing some research. https://www.ncrac.org/files/biblio/YellowPerchPub.pdf

I added 5-6" YP in March of 2022, in November of 2022 I had some measuring 7-8" and a few outliers between 9-10". I feel like this is a pretty exceptional growth rate. I would think that the fish were at least 1 year old from the supplier when I got them, but not sure.

1 member likes this: Perch Pond
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Those 5"-6" YP were one year old fish. Good amount of food can easily result 7"-10" YP by year's end after a March stocking. Smaller one of this group will be mostly males and ones larger than 7.5" are mostly females and carrying eggs this spring these these perch will appear very plump. Relative weight for these perch in early spring (prespawn) will be biased due to egg carrying fish. Catch a few of them in mid March and see what is present for plumpness.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by tylerd1994
Does anyone have a good method for relative weight or length standards for YP? I found this while doing some research. https://www.ncrac.org/files/biblio/YellowPerchPub.pdf

I added 5-6" YP in March of 2022, in November of 2022 I had some measuring 7-8" and a few outliers between 9-10". I feel like this is a pretty exceptional growth rate. I would think that the fish were at least 1 year old from the supplier when I got them, but not sure.

Did you look at the relative weight charts that are in the archives here?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks esshup, didn’t even realize they were in the archive. Going to be very helpful !

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Those 5"-6" YP were one year old fish. Good amount of food can easily result 7"-10" YP by year's end after a March stocking. Smaller one of this group will be mostly males and ones larger than 7.5" are mostly females and carrying eggs this spring these these perch will appear very plump. Relative weight for these perch in early spring (prespawn) will be biased due to egg carrying fish. Catch a few of them in mid March and see what is present for plumpness.

Got out to feed tonight with the warm weather and the YP were very active. Will have to get a few on a hook and line soon to see how plump they are.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Note those Standard Weight tables in the Archive Section have a lot of links that will not open. This topic in the Archives needs a significant revision. I'm not sure that I am smart enough to do it. Maybe I can get some help? Theo?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill:

I might have time this evening to revise it. I'll see about going in there and deleting all the useless links to clean it up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
OP Offline
T
For anyone looking, here is a screen shot I grabbed of one of the links still working

https://imgur.com/a/A2hsYQx

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by tylerd1994
[quote=Bill Cody]Those 5"-6" YP were one year old fish. Good amount of food can easily result 7"-10" YP by year's end after a March stocking. Smaller one of this group will be mostly males and ones larger than 7.5" are mostly females and carrying eggs this spring these these perch will appear very plump. Relative weight for these perch in early spring (prespawn) will be biased due to egg carrying fish. Catch a few of them in mid March and see what is present for plumpness.

Updates: Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/xrvXTUL

3/2022 - 75- 5-6" YP stocked
5/2022- 75 2-4" Hybrid Black Crappie stocked
5/2022- 75 2-4" RES stocked
9/2022 - 10 6-8" HSB stocked

4/2023
Perch measuring between 7-10.5" with averages being close to 8-9". I catch these primarily and they take to optimal feed pretty well. I had caught very plump females who seemed full of eggs, then a few weeks later some that seemed like they may have laid them. I never saw any ribbons, but my structure wasn't close enough to the bank to see.

Hybrid Black Crappie are regularly being caught between 6-8.5" (I'm really impressed with this growth rate) It's hard to tell when feeding but I think some have taken to the optimal pellets.

I haven't caught any HSB yet, and not sure if they are on the feed, as it is hard to tell when feeding the large YP from any other species. I have caught a few RES but they were still around 4-5".

My next steps are to add more FHM and simultaneously try to add SFS (spotting shiners) to help keep pressure low on the SFS to give them a chance to populate. I'm hopeful to do this around late May to give the best chance for spawning. Ideally I'm trying to grow some more significant forage for the BCP as they grow. More plans to add more shoreline structure this year as well to help with forage.

Last edited by tylerd1994; 04/11/23 08:27 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
HSB tend to hit feed very aggressively, so you should know it when you see it. It'll be very different than the other fish hitting feed.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
OP Offline
T
Well the HSB are feeding more aggressively now. I see some leaping out of the water which is great to watch. I’m working on adding more structure as advised in this thread to help sustain a shiner population. I put two under my dock and another in the corner of the pond near a cedar tree. I have enough of this recycled material to make another 10 or so and I plan on putting them in pretty thick!

Pics : https://imgur.com/a/DVz2bzl

Last edited by esshup; 05/27/23 07:47 PM.
1 member likes this: anthropic
A
A
tylerd, welcome to the HSB pondmeister club! Awesome fish which grow big and fight ferociously. grin

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
OP Offline
T
Update:

Bill Cody graciously gave me some Spotfin Shiners to attempt to get them established in my pond. They are crevice egg layers so I am in the process of building CD stacks for egg laying. Bill got me started with one and I’ve had eggs all summer and have seen fry. They seem faster and more acrobatic than their GSH peers. I continue to add structure to help establish.

Plant life:

I had spiral eelgrass (corkscrew vallisneria ) overwinter and come back and is spreading well. This is great as it’s dense but very short structure I’m hoping the GSH love. I’m also having luck with some pickerel weed and hybrid Lillie’s I hope to keep expanding upon without a takeover.

See pic https://imgur.com/a/kho1hH0

T
OP Offline
T
Updates:

Lots of minnows in the pond, Golden Shiners and Spotfin Shiners are reproducing as well as some lingering FHM.

RES: Sample of those caught are 6-8.75" and very fat (I've seen several taking pellets!) So roughly 3-5" of growth in 16 months

HBCP: Sample of those caught are 8"-9.75" (Also seeing several readily hitting pellets) -Roughly 4" of growth in 16 months.

YP: Sample of those caught 9"-11.5" Very thick - Roughly 3" of growth in 18 months

HSB: Sample of those caught 14-15.5" - Roughly 8" of growth in 12 months

Structure:

My pond plant growth is going well, I have what seems to be about a 10x10 patch of Spiral Eelgrass established and going strong, some American pondweed in several locations (That I hope to tame), and I've added significant amounts of artificial structure and various locations. Hopefully this will help maintain, or lower the stocking rates of minnows for the pond to help the non-pellet eating HBCP and RES.

Reproduction:

-No sign of YP reproduction from the spring as of yet, which is a bit surprising, we will see what next spring has in store. I didn't get a chance to lay structure where I could access it to check for eggs when we got floods last spring. Does anyone know what YP size would be from spawn to fall? Are they catchable yet ?
-No signs of HBCP reproduction as well
-I identified several RES beds, and have caught 3" RES so I'm thinking there is a good chance there was some reproduction

I'm thinking on stocking a small amount of 1lb RBT - Maybe 12 or so for winter raising and to harvest in the spring.

Last edited by tylerd1994; 09/27/23 10:15 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
tylerd - The 2023 year class of YP in Ohio should be 3" to 5" by mid October. If they have lots of food a few 2023 YP (10%-15%) could be 6"-8". by one year old while slow growers could be 3" at one year. .

T
OP Offline
T
New updates here: Stocked 15 RBT that were approximately 10" long in October. Been feeding on and off as the ice permits. Hoping to see a decent yield come late spring when I harvest. Seems like a fun addition so far.

Hoping to see a productive YP spawn. There is about 10' of bucket spiders and a cedar tree, as well as some spiral eel grass that could be effective. Still seeing shiners in the pond this winter so they seem to be sustaining. I'll likely add more if needed this spring.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
C
C
Remind us how far south you are in Ohio?

Glad to see RES are spawning and did you see new classes of Spotfins? How often did they produce new minnows? Let us know what they seemed to use for laying eggs or if you saw eggs on the spawning structures you used. More of us MI pond owners are trying to use the 'global warming' or whatever keeps the ice off the ponds these days and get some RES going in our ponds again. We would love to have a reproducing hardy minnow like SFS more available so are always looking to learn about what spawning structures they used in your pond and how we could reproduce that.

Eel grass and american pond weed sound like winners. More structure, always a winner. Thanks for the update

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Remind us how far south you are in Ohio?

Glad to see RES are spawning and did you see new classes of Spotfins? How often did they produce new minnows? Let us know what they seemed to use for laying eggs or if you saw eggs on the spawning structures you used. More of us MI pond owners are trying to use the 'global warming' or whatever keeps the ice off the ponds these days and get some RES going in our ponds again. We would love to have a reproducing hardy minnow like SFS more available so are always looking to learn about what spawning structures they used in your pond and how we could reproduce that.

Eel grass and american pond weed sound like winners. More structure, always a winner. Thanks for the update

I am about 30 minutes north of Dayton, so midwest Ohio.

I will need to try to capture minnows this spring to see the results. I had no luck with my minnow trap but it may have been too large. I have minnows around the dock now but can't determine if they are SFS or Golden Shiners. I did have eggs last year all year on the CD stacks, I plan on adding more this spring.

As for American pond weed, does it tend to take over? I don't mind it, just want it away from the dock for swimming purposes. I can let other sections of it grow but I was concerned it would take over the pond shallows everywhere.

C
C
certainly let us know how the RES reproduction goes.

I have never been able to catch a single SFS in a minnow trap despite years with clouds of minnows. They just me much smarter than most other minnow species. I have tried a variety of trap styles and colors. Maybe I need to keep switching up the baits. I know they are very oriented to moving water so I may be able to create a setup with a hose and pump to create a moving water sluice of some kind into a netted area.

SFS should use the spawning disks multiple times in a season (once water temps get above their desire temp, Cody can say exactly but usually above 60 degrees or so)

I haven't tried to grow american pond weed but all the pictures I have seen from other pond owners it seems to stay pretty much in one spot and is pretty easy to manage.

T
OP Offline
T
Did a little fishing yesterday during the warm spell, trying to keep the RBT off my line. Caught two 10" Hybrid Black Crappie, they seem to be growing well. Also a few very fat (likely eggs?) YP over 12" so that growth rate has seemed pretty good for having them in for approximately 2 years. Couldn't find any RES just yet, but I'm sure I'll find them once I get the RBT out. The RBT have doubled in size since September and are around the 16" mark.

https://ibb.co/yy5Df4k

https://ibb.co/JBnbZfD

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump