Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,783
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steve Clubb, FireIsHot, Augie, Bill Cody), 983 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
New to the forum. I have a four year old pond .66 acre that is lined on the bottom with a pond liner. There is a varying depth to the bottom sediment from as much as six inches close to the bank to none at all twenty feet from the bank. The water is extremely clear right now and algae growth has intensified. The water has good plankton blooms later in the year but I am struggling with an algae overload now. Chara (or something like it) covers the pond bottom and FA covers the Chara. Mechanical removal is backbreaking work that only delays the algae coverage. I prefer not to use chemicals due to the toxicity to zooplankton but I am a loss. Really would like your opinions.
Thanks
Bob

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Your water clarity is compounding the issue. Once the water warms up, is Tilapia an option for you in Tennessee?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Green Clean is a "non-toxic" option, though copper complex algaecides, applied properly, will be safe as well. The algae is just the symptom of excessive nutrient loading. You can permanently bind free reactive Phosphorus with an Aluminum Sulfate or Phosloc application 2 weeks after treating/killing the algae.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by esshup
Your water clarity is compounding the issue. Once the water warms up, is Tilapia an option for you in Tennessee?
Tilapia is really not an option because I have several good size LM Bass. Our winter temperatures would cause a winterkill as well.
Thanks

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you. I will look into that.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted by Blue Raiser Bob
Tilapia is really not an option because I have several good size LM Bass. Our winter temperatures would cause a winterkill as well.
Thanks

Tilapia are supposed to die each winter, and will create more forage and growth in your bass than you might realize. You can't produce more forage for bass than with tilapia...and they are legal in TN

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Rainman
Originally Posted by Blue Raiser Bob
Thanks

Tilapia are supposed to die each winter, and will create more forage and growth in your bass than you might realize. You can't produce more forage for bass than with tilapia...and they are legal in TN

Then I would use Tilapia for algae control in the OP's pond. They help with the algae problem in two ways. 1) actually eating the algae and 2) utilizing the nutrients to grow, and when they die off in the Fall, they are removed from the pond by either the pond owner or by scavengers, and by doing that the nutrients are being removed from the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
N
N
I second the use of Tilapia for FA control. I was skeptical as well. My previous pond had some big LMB in it and I was afraid I was just buying a tropical treat for my fish. But I was desperate. I bought them as big as I could find and they put a huge dent in the FA in no time. They are pretty inexpensive so you can buy a ton and they start spawning almost immediately. Sure your bass will eat a lot of them, but tilapia can even out spawn BG. Plus, the tilapia might also take some pressure off of your other forage fish during the warm months to allow them to increase in numbers. Also, there is nothing really to lose. If it doesn't work out you are out a few bucks and all of the tilapia will be gone in October/November anyway.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/18/24 05:48 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM