Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TobyH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I did confirm that MDC did not stock. Only advise on what to stock with. waiting to hear back realtor on what the #s were on their stocking.

T
TobyH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Update:

I still dont have a PH but i was able to get in touch with fishery that stocked it. here is what they did:

Spring of 22
BG 200
LMB 50
Channel 50

Fall of 22
Grass Carp 6 (I believe that's down at least 2 due to local eagle)
Trout 50
Albino CF 10
Minnow ?
Golden Shiner ?

I told him i want to move towards BG heavy pond. He said we could add some this spring since we do have some predetotor fish. I'm going to try and fish out the CF as best i can, thoughts?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Good news on your pond not having state fish! At this point, adding Fathead Minnow would be pointless, as they only feed bass under 6"....The only benefit to adding FHM would be to enrich the fish farmer Golden Shiner could be difficult to establish now as well, especially with Grass Carp removing the essential spawning habitat Golden Shiner need in order to reproduce. How large is the pond, as it looks much larger than the 1/10 acre the stocked BG numbers would be for. If the stocking numbers are accurate, the pond did not even have the minimum ratio of Bluegill to Bass stocked in order to feed your bass. If your water is like all Ozark ponds I've worked on, your pH will be in the 6.2-6.4 range. What do you hope for, size wise, when you say you'd like a BG heavy pond? Do you plan on adding a quality fish feeder or two, along with using a premium feed? These will be a must, in order for the BG to grow. FWIW, The Missouri Pond Owners Handbook is VERY outdated information in regards to management and stocking. As a ponds and lakes manager, my best advice to you at this point is to do nothing until you decide exactly what you envision your goals and pond being, then hiring a qualified professional (NOT MDC or a fish farm) to help educate you on how to attain your goals, and educate you on what is realistic....I can say definitively, the original stocking numbers were not good, badly stunted growth, and make corrections rather complicated

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If you do want to get Golden Shiners established this year, give Anderson Fish Farms a call and get on the list for their Golden Shiner Frye shipments. They overnight ship units of 250,000 GS Frye.

Throw a few clumps of Christmas trees in your pond, and they will take hold, even with other existing fish populations.

Getting recruitment of your desired fish species down the line may be adversely impacted though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
TobyH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for input. The pond is just over an acre. Two springs that run year round. I'd like to get some good 1.5lb+ BG. Not expecting much bigger. Yes, i planned on a feeder or two. Guessing i need to get another load of BG this spring.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted by TobyH
Thanks for input. The pond is just over an acre. Two springs that run year round. I'd like to get some good 1.5lb+ BG. Not expecting much bigger. Yes, i planned on a feeder or two. Guessing i need to get another load of BG this spring.

To add to what Sunil said, Anderson's is only a couple hours from you in Lonoke, AR, but I would not stock fry. Golden Shiners lay eggs in thickly grassed shallows, so unless you have the spawning habitat, (or buy spawning mats) you won't get recruitment. Golden Shiners are good forage for juvenile bass about 6-12 inches long, but also prefer open waters, where few bass swim......I sent you a private message

T
TobyH Offline OP
OP Offline
T
UPDATE

So i finally got out again to test water and by the main spring i was around 7-7.4 pH and the KH was around 170. When i test the open water by spillway i got more like 8 pH and 200-240 KH
The Southern Naiad/Bushy Pondweed has progressed and since no one is treating it the top moss is starting to show up more around the spring side.

Some good news, I hadn’t seen any BG so after catching a few trout I switched to a Z-Viber and caught a couple BGs. Tiny guys but nice to know theyre there.

So, I want to do another stocking this spring of BG while culling some trout and catfish. What can I do or should I do about the alkalinity?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here’s a couple vids the spillway to see how much the two springs produce

Here is the topside view https://photos.app.goo.gl/qHbC4hknkMqSXNNL8
Here is the runoff side https://photos.app.goo.gl/gjmREQt8tf1aDtc97

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That's a great amount of run-off especially for a 1 acre body of water. You have a lot of water moving through the pond.

As such, I'm not sure how much you'll be able to treat pH. I don't know much about it, so we'll see what others have to say.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images