Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,110
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
8 members (jbird5986, Boondoggle, jpsdad, Freg, Sunil, FireIsHot, Angler8689, FishinRod), 769 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Eric Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
All I can say ia Man some of us have waaaaayyyyyy too much time on our hands!! LOL

And thanks god they do, we all need a laugh like that!!! \:D \:D \:D

The only thing I wonder is how much a govenmental agency would have funded for a report with less detail and less fact than that one. I think I have to go out and ask for funding for research on this subject. When I get it I think I will have to build a new 25 acre pond to do the study on!!! ;\)

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I was out onmy pond today and I checked on the open holes that I mentioned on Friday Dec 16th. After two nights of single digit temps the holes are frozen over with thick ice. Once the snow got all water soaked, the forces or pressures equalized between weight of the snow on the ice and the flotation force. THEN the water quit moving out through the hole. After all the snow got water soaked, it froze a layer of cloudy ice 1.5" thick. I now have 5.5" of firm uniform ice across the pond.

I drilled several holes at various spots late this afternoon and watched perch feed on the soft, rolled, pellets that I was droppng into the hole. I had y. perch feeding up within 12" of the hole in the ice.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Never happened here.....until now.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cody:
I was out onmy pond today and I checked on the open holes that I mentioned on Friday Dec 16th. After two nights of single digit temps the holes are frozen over with thick ice. Once the snow got all water soaked, the forces or pressures equalized between weight of the snow on the ice and the flotation force. THEN the water quit moving out through the hole. After all the snow got water soaked, it froze a layer of cloudy ice 1.5" thick. I now have 5.5" of firm uniform ice across the pond.

I drilled several holes at various spots late this afternoon and watched perch feed on the soft, rolled, pellets that I was droppng into the hole. I had y. perch feeding up within 12" of the hole in the ice.
Bill!

You're feeding your perch through the ice! I know you want to beat my big perch but that's a little desparate isn't it? \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
CB1 - You have to use every trick in the fish culture handbook to stay ahead of 2nd and 3rd place. \:D

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
H
H
This is a very old thread, but I was still unable to find a definitive answer to what is causing these things to appear. When we first saw them hubby & I assumed an animal had fallen through the ice and gotten frozen over - but nobody was ever found in spring. The pond is 8' deep and about the size of a hockey rink. I can get 7"+ thickness out there, and the clear spider veins are darned solid. So welcome to the close of 2022 and we now have Chat GPT to research & find the answer for us. So for anyone who was STILL wondering after 17 years...

Spider-like ice rosettes are formed when thin layers of ice form on top of a frozen pond or other body of water. These rosettes are formed when the thin layers of ice are pushed up by the expansion of the water underneath as it freezes. The ice layers are pushed up in a circular pattern, forming the characteristic "spider-like" appearance of the rosettes. The size and shape of the rosettes can vary depending on the temperature and humidity conditions at the time they are forming.

One way to visualize the process is to imagine a layer of water on top of a frozen pond. As the temperature drops, the water begins to freeze from the bottom up. As the water at the bottom of the layer freezes, it expands and pushes the water above it upwards. This creates a circular pattern of ice on the surface of the pond, with the center of the circle being the highest point. The thin layers of ice that form on top of the water continue to be pushed upwards as more and more water freezes, creating the distinctive spider-like appearance of the rosettes.

It's worth noting that ice rosettes are not a common occurrence, and they are typically only seen in very specific conditions. They tend to form when the temperature is extremely cold and the humidity is low, as these conditions allow the water to freeze quickly and evenly. They are also more likely to form in areas with relatively still water, as the movement of the water can disrupt the formation of the rosettes.

Lunker
Lunker

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by HighCountryGirl
This is a very old thread, but I was still unable to find a definitive answer to what is causing these things to appear. When we first saw them hubby & I assumed an animal had fallen through the ice and gotten frozen over - but nobody was ever found in spring. The pond is 8' deep and about the size of a hockey rink. I can get 7"+ thickness out there, and the clear spider veins are darned solid. So welcome to the close of 2022 and we now have Chat GPT to research & find the answer for us. So for anyone who was STILL wondering after 17 years...

Spider-like ice rosettes are formed when thin layers of ice form on top of a frozen pond or other body of water. These rosettes are formed when the thin layers of ice are pushed up by the expansion of the water underneath as it freezes. The ice layers are pushed up in a circular pattern, forming the characteristic "spider-like" appearance of the rosettes. The size and shape of the rosettes can vary depending on the temperature and humidity conditions at the time they are forming.

One way to visualize the process is to imagine a layer of water on top of a frozen pond. As the temperature drops, the water begins to freeze from the bottom up. As the water at the bottom of the layer freezes, it expands and pushes the water above it upwards. This creates a circular pattern of ice on the surface of the pond, with the center of the circle being the highest point. The thin layers of ice that form on top of the water continue to be pushed upwards as more and more water freezes, creating the distinctive spider-like appearance of the rosettes.

It's worth noting that ice rosettes are not a common occurrence, and they are typically only seen in very specific conditions. They tend to form when the temperature is extremely cold and the humidity is low, as these conditions allow the water to freeze quickly and evenly. They are also more likely to form in areas with relatively still water, as the movement of the water can disrupt the formation of the rosettes.

It will also happen when the ice is thawing, the water on top of the ice will make a hole and the "legs" are the rivulets of water running to the hole. Then it gets colder out and it all re-freezes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
R
Thank you for bringing up this old post and sharing an explanation. I saw the same phenomena on my new pond as it froze a few weeks ago and was wondering as to the cause. After the last hard freeze we got, they mostly went away.

I must say that I still like the alternate explanations...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:07 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails