Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (jpsdad, Shorthose, Layne, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 623 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Well, I did everything I thought I needed to had core tests done, had a Soil Scientist look at all the soil, had the pond engineered, and built with a local reputable company.

I use this site and requested all of the information from the builder and asked him to follow all the steps that I learned from the site, it seems not to matter now as I have a hydrostatic leak.

Time to move forward and I’m looking for a local Pond builder to help renovate the pond

If anyone from Northeast Ohio could chime in with a local reputable pond builder that they’ve used that would be appreciated

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
What is a hydrostatic leak in a pond?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Jared015
Well, I did everything I thought I needed to had core tests done, had a Soil Scientist look at all the soil, had the pond engineered, and built with a local reputable company.

I use this site and requested all of the information from the builder and asked him to follow all the steps that I learned from the site, it seems not to matter now as I have a hydrostatic leak.

Time to move forward and I’m looking for a local Pond builder to help renovate the pond

If anyone from Northeast Ohio could chime in with a local reputable pond builder that they’ve used that would be appreciated

Talk to TJ here on the forum, he can help.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi - happy to help however I can. Email me anytime tj@hudlandmgmt.com. My time is always free to the Pond Boss Forum family.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I used to work on porous media experiments in a different context, so I will make a stab at "hydrostatic leak" as a discussion definition.

At very small grain sizes, the capillary forces have a significant impact. They are not something that people normally have to consider working at the typical macro scale of most projects.

However, it is possible to have zero flow at a certain pressure, and then a measurable flow begins above a "threshold" pressure.

I will ASSUME that in this situation, a hydrostatic leak would mean something like: the pond holds water just fine with the water level at 5'. When the pond is full at 10' deep (for example), then the pond leaks water out of the pond bottom in some location. The leak slows substantially as the water level drops, and then ceases altogether when the water is reduced to only 5' deep.

Obviously, this would act very similarly to a leak in the pond sides that was situated just above the 5' level.

Perhaps the contractor and OP have some reason to support the theory of a "hydrostatic leak".

If my definition of a hydrostatic leak is close to the physical process occurring in the pond, then that does sound like a good situation to potentially seal with Soilfloc.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have a leak like that in my 4th pond. I just call it a leak. In my case, I assume the gravel vein running under my pond rises at some point to where the leak stops. I may try and seal it up if it does not slow down a lot in the next few years. I am still trying to locate blue catfish for my 3rd pond, but may have to apply for a permit and get them myself from out of state.

Last edited by RAH; 12/10/22 05:08 PM.
J
J
How old is the pond? They can seal themselves over time I'd there is a supply of sediment in the water.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by RAH
I have a leak like that in my 4th pond. I just call it a leak. In my case, I assume the gravel vein running under my pond rises at some point to where the leak stops.

Exactly.

There are multiple physical configurations that could result in a leak that ACTS like the hydrostatic leak that I described. If your leak is controlled by the spill point of the gravel vein, then it would act in a very similar manner.

Theoretically, that leak would have a nearly constant rate as the pond level went from 10' to 5', whereas a true hydrostatic leak would exhibit a decreasing rate as the hydrostatic pressure on the leak decreased as the water level in the pond declined.

In most real world cases, I believe it would be very difficult to differentiate between the types of leaks, unless the outlet of the leak was easy to locate and monitor relative to the existing conditions in the pond.

Jared,

I am just speculating about the specific conditions that may have occurred in your pond. That is only to give you some more information to examine your problem.

You have a difficult problem to address - namely a pond with a leak in an unknown location.

Good luck on fixing your pond!

Hopefully, someone will chime in with the name of another possible pond contractor in your area.

I would also be sure to contact TJ. He is very knowledgeable about chasing and fixing leaks. He also has a product that might be a good application for your circumstances.

B
B
My pond leak is like FishinRod described. The fuller it is, the more it drops per day. If the level gets up to 16'-17' it will drop about 1"-1.25" per day and by time it gets down to 12'-13' it only drops about .25"-.30" per day. Less if it gets lower than that but it hasn't been any lower than that for about 2 years now but if we don't start getting some real rain before long it might. It is probably about 13' right now. The leak does seem to slow down a little every year.
I've talked to TJ and I will probably try Soilfloc when I can. We've been waiting for a builder to give us pricing on a new house and want to start building as soon as possible. We will have to put in a well and I plan to upgrade it if I can to help keep the pond full.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
A new house at the pond - which holds water like a bathtub.

I like your plan, Bob! Hopefully, you get it all put together.

Lunker
Lunker
If you’re looking at rehab I work with one of the best pond architects on the planet and he’s located in PA but consults nationwide. Feel free to reach out anytime, happy to help any way I can.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??