Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,110
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
8 members (jbird5986, Freg, Boondoggle, Sunil, FireIsHot, Angler8689, FishinRod, Dylanfrely), 775 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Hello everyone,

I have a pond in Ontario, Canada stocked with rainbow and brown trout. I would like to focus my harvest of the trout when they have well developed skiens so I can collect the eggs for bait when I fish our rainbow/steelhead rivers (in addition to the meat). I have harvested rainbows and browns throughout most of the year but am having a hard time finding when they have well developed skeins of roe.

Does anyone know what time of year rainbows and browns would have mature eggs in stocked ponds? Our wild rainbows in the rivers spawn in the spring but I have seen hatcheries here spawn rainbows in the fall, so I am not sure what it would be like for my pond. I kept this rainbow this week (14") and it has very tiny skeins that were just about as small as they can be while still being noticable.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

On the other hand, I kept this brown at around the same time (end of September) a couple of years ago and you can see the eggs are still immature but much more developed than the ones in the rainbow.

Any insight on this is appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by Fyfer123; 10/04/22 09:27 AM.

Adam

I subscribe!
J
Online Content
J
Fyfer,

The brown spawn fall while the rainbows are spring spawners. The precise time I will defer but consistent with this the eggs of your fall caught trout, the brown was close to ready but the rainbow was not. I would look for the rainbow eggs some time after ice out noting the water temps and date. Same can also be said of the browns only you would start end of September. You might do some research on optimum spawning temps which might provide a better start for your attempts.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by jpsdad
Fyfer,

The brown spawn fall while the rainbows are spring spawners. The precise time I will defer but consistent with this the eggs of your fall caught trout, the brown was close to ready but the rainbow was not. I would look for the rainbow eggs some time after ice out noting the water temps and date. Same can also be said of the browns only you would start end of September. You might do some research on optimum spawning temps which might provide a better start for your attempts.
Thanks very much for your response. I wasn't too sure when the rainbows would have eggs, as for some reason the hatcheries I've seen here have loose hens in the fall and spawn them in the fall. But it seems it must be spring due to the immature eggs in that rainbow in my pond.

I will try keeping a brown towards the end of October to see how the roe is coming along. Hopefully I can get this keyed in as the roe is a huge bonus to have.

Thanks again.

Adam

I subscribe!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The hatcheries might be able to manipulate water temp and photoperiod to get them to spawn outside of their normal spawning season.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by esshup
The hatcheries might be able to manipulate water temp and photoperiod to get them to spawn outside of their normal spawning season.

That makes sense. I was wondering how their rainbows spawn in the fall.

Adam

I subscribe!
F
OP Offline
F
So I harvested a female brown trout yesterday and it seemed to be the perfect time, because the eggs were starting to come out of the membrane but were not loose yet (I prefer to scrape eggs rather than have them loose). But the fish was very skinny, and the within the skien, there were lots of small eggs that look like they didn't develop. Is this because the fish was too skinny and didn't have the ability to produce more eggs? It obviously was not eating pellets like the other trout. There were just a few bugs in her stomach.

Any info on what these might be would be appreciated.

Adam

I subscribe!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:07 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails